rllmuk
Silent Runner

Killing Eve - BBC Spy thriller, comedy, drama

Season 1 really wasn't so great. It started great but it really lost its way in the last three eps. It's only the good will of how well it started that carried it through. 

Did Waller bridge write this?

It's true that plot wise you could start to feel the wheels wobble once they were in Russia, but this was offset by the performances just getting better and better, especially Jodie Comer as Villanelle. Plus the offbeat humour was a continuous source of joy - so yes the heady heights of the opening were not matched all the way, but I don't agree the dip was significant.

Waller bridge did not write the second season. The scenes with Eve and her husband - painful. The scene where Eve is mistaken for an addict - leaden. Eve in general appears to have really suffered as a character.

2 hours ago, barkbat said:

It's true that plot wise you could start to feel the wheels wobble once they were in Russia, but this was offset by the performances just getting better and better, especially Jodie Comer as Villanelle. Plus the offbeat humour was a continuous source of joy - so yes the heady heights of the opening were not matched all the way, but I don't agree the dip was significant.

Waller bridge did not write the second season. The scenes with Eve and her husband - painful. The scene where Eve is mistaken for an addict - leaden. Eve in general appears to have really suffered as a character.

Eve has literally nothing to do except for act insane to suit the plot. Awful.

Really enjoyed the first season, also a bit of the second but 3 episodes to go totally loosing interest.

Spoiler

The whole Villanelle working with M16 is totally fucking ridiculous, there is no tension any more now that somehow she's not being chased. How exactly is a known killer walking free? How is she so valuable to M16 that they would let her go around killing people? It's not like she's even cut a deal to testify on her former employers or anything, she's just being another agent as if M16 wouldn't have any other ones they could use.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Festoon said:

It still needs some internal logic.

Spoiler

I agree and I think the relationships that were shown / built up between the characters (specifically Carolyn Martens and Konstantin in the case of the comments above) answered any internal logic concerns. Everyone is free to disagree though of course.  

10 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Really enjoyed the first season, also a bit of the second but 3 episodes to go totally loosing interest.

Reveal hidden contents

The whole Villanelle working with M16 is totally fucking ridiculous, there is no tension any more now that somehow she's not being chased. How exactly is a known killer walking free? How is she so valuable to M16 that they would let her go around killing people? It's not like she's even cut a deal to testify on her former employers or anything, she's just being another agent as if M16 wouldn't have any other ones they could use.

I had the same issue and wrote as much in previous posts. I was at the point of giving up on it but persevered in the end. Truth is I kind of let go and enjoyed it a bit more, largely due to the performance of Jodie Comer who is so watchable. 

But It feels like a different show to series 1 and the writing doesn’t come close. 

• Upvote 1

Felt by the end of season two even Comer’s performance, the main hook of the show, becomes just her accents and outfits (which are both still decent)

Not really her fault; the drop in quality is noticeable throughout. Think Zoe Wanamaker’s cameo is one of the more entertaining highlights of the second season, besides Comer’s determination to spin as much as she can from pretty lukewarm set-ups.

• Upvote 1

Saw episode 2 and 3 of season 2 with the Mrs who had raved about season 1........boring drivel yet the masses have been lapping it up.....now watching episode 4 where they are planning on hiring the demon to crack a certain someone they have in custody......ridiculous this is sub A level student writing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Recently watched this and loved both series. 1 was better but I found season 2 fascinating. Eve was always a clearly miserable character, looking for something to fulfill her life. The themes of the psychopath really interested me and Eve is the greater psychopath in the series. 

• Upvote 1

I'm in the camp that didn't quite get the adulation poured on the first series, the first half of that season was good but it tailed off very badly and seems season 2 continues in that direction.

It just seems like a vaguely connected collection of bad skits with cringe inducing dialogue at times, and Jodie Comer in silly outfits putting on accents.

Without the strong first half season 1 had I found season 2 pretty dire, and the less said about the second assassin and story they use to try and manufacture bringing Eve & Villanelle together the better.

Dire.

• Upvote 3

I'm nearly at the end of series 2 and still really enjoying it. Yes the plot is stupid and makes no sense but you're watching the wrong show if you want a serious thriller. This is a comedy show with dramatic overtones and I'm quite happy watching it for Jodie Comer's outfits, Jodie Comer's accents, basically any scene with Jodie Comer in it plus Sandra Oh's hilarious facial expressions. It's fun and it's entertaining and as far as I'm concerned it's every bit as good as the first series.

• Upvote 1

This show has turned to trash. The scene with Villanelle and Eve’s husband was terrible. 

The signs were there with the stupid, wheel-spinning second episode - and resetting the Eve-Constantine relationship. And the complete nothing that arose from the Ghost assassin plotline.

Reminds me of Orphan Black. It’s all over the place.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

This show has turned to trash. The scene with Villanelle and Eve’s husband was terrible. 

The signs were there with the stupid, wheel-spinning second episode - and resetting the Eve-Constantine relationship. And the complete nothing that arose from the Ghost assassin plotline.

The stuff with the husband and mistress/friend is absolutely awful. Awful, stupid writing.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

The stuff with the husband and mistress/friend is absolutely awful.

Spoiler

They don't even provide a decent reason for why Vilanelle would kill her off. Awful, stupid writing.

Haven't finished the second series yet. <_<

On 07/07/2019 at 16:18, Festoon said:

It was minor. Again, sorry.

I'm fully up-to-date now and yes, it was surprisingly minor.

Spoiler

I felt like the writers completely squandered Gemma's character, as they'd had a chance to provide a credible, tempting alternative to Eve's increasingly risky lifestyle and poor decisions. Instead, they decided to write her as an insipid, prissy character who only needed to give Nico the gentlest of pushes to stray into infidelity. Writing her as a more independent, grounded and caring person filling a gap that Eve's neglect creates would've been a good slow burn for the series and would've made her death a lot more shocking. I don't really know what they can do with Nico now.

Also, how long was he out on the floor of that storage unit for? Enough time for Oksana to flit off to Rome and get stuck into her mission, apparently.

I absolutely loved Carolyn in this series though. Her unflappable British spy routine might be a bit by the numbers but I really like the way she brushes off her little deceptions when she's eventually found out and the scene where she admits to being "careful" about loving her son was great.

I’ve watched it because everyone has been cumming themselves silly about it.

I don’t understand why this is supposed to be compelling or interesting.  I mean, I left it on but honestly it was just middle-Of-the-road generic pap.

I see it has women in both hero and villain roles and that’s a bit unusual, plus apparently lots of queer-baiting according to various articles I’ve been reading (trying to find out what I’m missing) 

But it’s left me cold.  I’m not gonna bother with series 2.  It’s just nowt.  The way everybody’s been gushing I was expecting the second coming of Breaking Bad.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Loz Boz said:

I see it has women in both hero and villain roles and that’s a bit unusual, plus apparently lots of queer-baiting according to various articles I’ve been reading (trying to find out what I’m missing) 

When the queer-baiting appeared out of the blue at the end of the firat series my heart sank. The second series makes this so much worse. It's actually insulting.

If it’s constructed completely artificially for its own sake, insisting upon itself, and then is just abandoned, yes I believe so.

That’s what the LGBTQ community have called it anyway.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Is it ok to call sexual tension between two characters of the same gender "queer-baiting"?

It literally appeared out of the blue at the end of Season 1 and it looked like they just didn't know what to do when the characters properly had a stand off. It didn't remotely feel organic.

But Villanelle is telling Eve how to wear her hair and sending her outfits from the beginning, and Eve is becoming more obsessed with her with each murder. The two are literally obsessed with each other throughout. I don't understand how you can say it comes out of the blue at the end.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, barkbat said:

But Villanelle is telling Eve how to wear her hair and sending her outfits from the beginning, and Eve is becoming more obsessed with her with each murder. The two are literally obsessed with each other throughout. I don't understand how you can say it comes out of the blue at the end.

Eve isn't romantically obsessed with her.

I don't like this categorical labelling of characters whose inner worlds you only have partial access.

If Eve had a fantastic relationship with her husband or whoever and clearly didn't need romance in her life, or if she was giving regular voice overs of her inner conflicts that made no mention of queer feelings, and THEN a lesbian relationship appeared in the final episode, you'd possibly have a point. But the character is shown to be bored and frustrated and have a whole latent psychological life that is triggered by thoughts of female assassins. She is actively seduced by Villanelle in all kinds of ways that makes the sexual side seem organic, and villanelle is presented and cast as someone who is uniquely attractive. There is even a scene with her co-worker in Germany when they discuss adventurous sexual relationships and someone previously shown as vanilla is revealed to have a whole bisexual history. The film keys up the idea of Eve breaking free of all kinds of boundaries and being essentially reborn, to the point where her husband cannot relate to her. The more I think about it, the more wrong you are.

• Upvote 7