Silent Runner

Killing Eve - BBC Spy thriller, comedy, drama

Started this last night and watched the first two episodes. Sandra Oh is a desk-bound spy based in London. She's hunting Jodie Comer - a glamourous and talented international assassin who has killed people all across Europe. Written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag) based on some book. It also stars the likes of David Haig and Darren Boyd so you have that nice BBC feel.

The two episodes I watched were really good. Funny and violent with some proper shocking bits. The two leads are fantastic, the locations are fab and the music is excellent. Best thing I've watched in ages. Anyone else following it?

• Upvote 3

I've heard good things about it but its not on the BBC in the UK yet?  Typical, BBC funds something and we still do not get it first. 

I’m up to episode five now and this is something quite extraordinary. The villain in this is the nastiest, creepiest, most unsettling piece of shit that I’ve seen on screen for a very, very long time. She absolutely makes my skin crawl and I really can’t put my finger on why.

It’s dark as fuck.

I don’t generally like police procedurals much, but I absolutely loved this. Amazing how much of a difference gender-flipping the usual casting for a show like this makes. 

I think the non-sequiturs and more human moments of humour help enormously in making these characters feel real. 

Villanelle is such a great character, and it’s an amazing performance by Jodie Comer, able to flip between child-like innocence, puckish humour and Terminator-style killing in a blink of an eye.

Loved the soundtrack too, was all ‘duh, of course’ when I found out that David Holmes was responsible. 

Totally brilliant, and at 8 episodes it was just the perfect length. Can’t wait for series 2. 

• Upvote 1

I'd earmarked this to check out after seeing this thread pop up a few times over the last week. Then I saw Stephen King tweet about how good it was so decided to give it a watch. Done 4 eps last night (when I should have been playing Dark Souls) and will be finishing tonight. What a great show!

• Upvote 1

I thought it began to fizzle out a bit for the final few episodes (still funny as hell though) but then HOLY FUCK WHAT AN ENDING.

Absolutely remarkable stuff. I watched that final scene with locked grimace of horror and amazement and still managed to laugh like a drain.

I totally agree that the music is superb throughout.

This thread’s going to go nuts when it airs on uk telly.

On 24/05/2018 at 12:43, Silent Runner said:

Jodie Comer should be a superstar.

On this basis, Sandra Oh already is.

I guess this just went over my head reading the reaction of others to this. I thought it was...OK, but not much else TBH.

• Upvote 1

On 31/05/2018 at 08:42, The Hierophant said:

When’s this on in the UK?

After hearing the praise for it and them all saying it was a BBC America production, I naturally assumed like most people this was also on the real BBC, but they had to pay for the rights instead and it's coming to BBC1/BBC3 later this year officially, at some unknown time. I'm assuming the Autumn.

Classic.  The BBC own half the entity making the series, then have to bid to screen the series domestically and then, once they have paid to screen it, don't screen it until half a year later anyway. 

Yeah I couldn't wait so I grabbed a copy, watched the first two last night, loved it! Great performances, sharp, funny writing and dark humour. Jodie Comer, bloody hell what a performance.

It's pretty landmark stuff, isn't it? There's so much female perspective in this, that it's almost a whole new genre. And that's a bloody good thing!

It's not perfect: the last four aren't as strong as the first four, as it feels like the wheels are spinning a bit. And Phoebe Waller-Bridge's ethos (brought over from Fleabag) is still, "If a relationship isn't entirely about desire, it's worthless" which whilst fun, isn't very deep. 

That said, it's great to see a woman's POV on this stuff - how the protagonists are witty an intelligent, yet connect on a sensual & sensuous level that's expressed through clothing and perfume, amongst other things. 

I feel its a paradigmatic show already, to be honest. It's got its flaws but it's cultural impact will roll over all of those. Waller-Bridge is going to be gigantic. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah this was really fun I liked it a lot.

Spoilers obviously don't read if you haven't watched:

My only fear for this going forward is that it's done a bit of a Utopia, a lot of characters killed off and the head woman is clearly a baddie so where do they go from here?

Loved Jodie Comers portrayal of Villanelle, such great expressions.

I'd have preferred it if:

Spoiler

This was self contained and had a satisfying conclusion, yeah. If they do 5 seasons of decreasing quality, like everything these days, I'll be pissed. 

• Upvote 2

On 01/06/2018 at 15:34, McCoy said:

Classic.  The BBC own half the entity making the series, then have to bid to screen the series domestically and then, once they have paid to screen it, don't screen it until half a year later anyway. 

They didn't bother with showing Dirk Gently at all, despite that being a BBC America thing. Morons.

2 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Done the first two of this, and it's really good but I can't help but be distracted by the fact that the Polish husband feels like he's being played by Matt Berry.

Yep, strong Matt Berry vibes from that guy.

Binged this in two days - it's really good, and I'm starting to look forward to these BBC 'event' shows like London Spy and Night Manager.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge's dialogue really made this feel different. And makes a lot of espionage thrillers look Jurassic by comparison.

• Upvote 3

Just finished this. Fucking hell it was only bloody amazing. Jodie Comer is going to be a fucking superstar. Villanelle is one of the greatest characters that I've ever seen and I'm a little bit obsessed. A bit of me wants to have sex with her and a bit of me wants to run very far away from her. It's like she's my perfect woman, only she's also a murderous psychopath who will definitely kill me. It's confusing. And thrilling.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, barkbat said:

Just finished this. Fucking hell it was only bloody amazing. Jodie Comer is going to be a fucking superstar. Villanelle is one of the greatest characters that I've ever seen and I'm a little bit obsessed. A bit of me wants to have sex with her and a bit of me wants to run very far away from her. It's like she's my perfect woman, only she's also a murderous psychopath who will definitely kill me. It's confusing. And thrilling.

Her performance definitely made the show for me, she was wonderful.

This was  on BBC1 Sat night and all eps are now up on iPlayer.

Managed 6 yesterday and suffice to say the praise wasn’t misplaced.  It’s really rather brilliant.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

This was  on BBC1 Sat night and all eps are now up on iPlayer.

Managed 6 yesterday and suffice to say the praise wasn’t misplaced.  It’s really rather brilliant.  

Completely agree, I binged watched 6 as well. Riveting stuff with a fantastic performance from Jodie Comer.

• Upvote 2

This is truly excellent, one of the best TV series I’ve seen in a long time. This, rather than The Bodyguard, is the one that should be on prime time Sunday evenings...

Man Bites Dog x Hitman x Prime Suspect. 

• Upvote 3