IGNORED

Marvel's Eternals

JohnC

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

It's now on Disney+ now and I'm watching it.

That Madden fella and Gemma Chan have zero chemistry. It's actually quite impressive.

Compared to Druig and Makkari who were super cute, and all of it was ad-libbed.

Just finished it. Bit meh. Liked it more than Black Widow, maybe because it felt like it was attempting somehing different. And I'm a sucker for space, celestial nonsense.

One thing I did really like was

Spoiler

the super speed fight between Makkari and Ikarus. Looked better than anything DC have done, which is funny considering the amount of practice those have had.

5 minutes ago, AstroBot said:

Really felt this would have made a really great tv series, the film was the odd mixture of too long in some parts and too short in others so was both rushed and slow going at the same time.  

What was most annoying was the amount of times they said each other’s names. Every sentence it felt like. 

Post credit stuff..

Reveal hidden contents

Wtf was going on.  

Spoiler

Post credit stuff. The first one I'm not sure how that's going to play into things. Other than the fact that he's called Star Fox which made me chuckle.

The second one. Kit Harrington is a character called The Black Knight. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Knight_(Marvel_Comics) And that was Blade's voice over the end and I have no idea why. I'm guessing that's actually his sword?

Swing and a miss.

There's something very good here, potentially. The concept is a cool one, one you could have fun with and do something quite weighty with. It's ambitious. The cinematography is great.

But it tries to do too much too quickly and as a result nothing has weight, there's nothing to really care about, nothing is established with any great purpose to it. We are told Who, What, When, but never given reason to care. We don't know anything about these characters to care about them, despite the concept being that these are the foundation of the great myths of civilisations across the planet. We have hints to the great dilemmas of these characters, but then it's reduced to a few short scenes from nowhere that don't sell the importance of what is being shown so briefly.

And then we add in some really weak art design, some pretty lacklustre action, some grim acting, a plot that tries to do too much... It's a bit of a mess.

There's a very good mini series to be made here. It needs something that lets it build out all the elements and ideas and give the plot room to develop through the hoops it wants to get through. As it is, it's a miss.

I thought this was pretty decent in its own right as far as a Superhero film goes but it could totally be standalone and not apart of the MCU at all. I kind of admire that to be honest and also some of what Chloe Zhao was trying to do, specifically with this being more about the Eternals and their own struggles as immortal beings and how the Deviants were really no more than pests. It was never really about the Deviants, they're just there for the action. I think she set out to humanise the characters way more than any other MCU origin film and to a degree succeeds. It did get me liking and caring for some of the them.

I felt the humour landed when it was there and I liked the mixture of personalities within the team. Gemma Chan was a bit wooden though. As the main focus of the team, I would have expected a better performance. However I did like Jolie, Nanjiani, Tyree Henry and Ridloff.

I'm not surprised many MCU fans have struggled with it though. It's way out there, even when compared to the likes of Asgardians and Infinity Stones. I think it being Marvels first rotten score on RT is a bit unfair though, especially when I can think of at least 10 other MCU projects that are worse (2 of them came out the same year as this too). I do think when they were looking at MCU TV shows this probably should have been one though. It would have allowed audiences to spend more time with these characters, see why humanity was worth saving even after all the conflict and allow people to get to know the Eternals and show their growth. 2.5hrs, whilst long for a film in general still feels like not enough time to truly get into what and who The Eternals are.

I do have my issues, specifically with charcter motivations and setting.

Re Ikarus

Spoiler

Why did he even bother putting Ajax body back to trick the rest? Why did he even go along with the plan if he wanted the Emergance to go through all along? Had he just killed Ajax and not bothered travelling to London it would have all gone ahead as planned.

Also setting this on Earth just lowered all the stakes completely. They'd obviously never blow up Earth, so it was all pretty low stakes in the end really. 

I know the film touched on it but them ignoring all conflict just rubbed me up the wrong way too, especially when some of them started to question it in the 1400s and then still did nothing for 500 years after. It's like how Wakanda just let loads of other African countries have famine and disease whilst they sat on their magical mountain of wealth and healing. I know it's a Superhero film and I shouldn't be looking too deep, but these issues are still there brimming on the surface.

One thing it did do though is (Shang Chi spoiler)

Spoiler

Maybe give us an idea of where the Ten Rings came from. That film ends with them discussing how they came from somewhere not even Captain Marvel can figure out. Could be some form of Eternals power.

Very different and I like it for that. After years of people complaining about cookie cutter MCU films, at least this tried to step away from that, even if it didn't fully succeed.

3/5

A strange one overall. The FX vary wildly, the film sometimes looking great and sometimes looking really cheap.

Spoiler

The bit with all the eternal robot thingies looked like something from Lawnmower Man! The FX looked unfinished.

That opening text crawl setting up the plot was a bit Blade Runner wasn't it?

I was bored for a lot of it tbh.

2 out of 5

I get the direction it took and welcome someone trying to change the formula up but the execution, like matrix resurrections, lost me. Ill finish it another time but 40 minutes of pondering and some CGI heavy action and I was sadly very bored and weirdly unattached to the events and characters. 

The 4 Disney+ Marvel's series (5 counting what if) grabbed my attention from the off in comparison. Black widow was a dud for me and Shang chi lost me during its final third in contrast. Loved Spiderman though.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

I fear someone at Marvel took “what if we made something like Justice League” a bit too literally.

I've read that before. Like it's Marvel's attempt at a DC film. I won't bother watching this until it becomes relevant to other movies. 

Well, they finally did it. They managed to make a worse MCU film than Iron Man 3. Black Widow came very close.

But this fetid turd was on a whole other level of horrible. Career lows for everyone involved.

0/5

Yeah the poor acting sucked some enjoyment from this for me. Not a good film but I don't mind the poor/average Marvel and Star Wars stuff so much as I like the intermingled plots and character integration that grows into something bigger.

I’ve revised my original opinion, as in, I think this is a better film than Black Widow, because there’s a much lower cringe factor. But it’s still dull and bloated and unfocused. Some bafflingly miscast characters too – usually Marvel Studios are good at their casting choices, a few obvious exceptions aside, so I’ve no idea what went wrong behind the scenes here.

Just watched this. Poor plot, poor casting, poor script, poor acting, badly edited, dull locations, boring scenery, tepid action, soap-opera standard drama & ultimately just a completely tedious waste of 2.5hrs. The only reason I can think for making this is Disney had an empty month in their 2021 schedule, so needed something to release & didnt really care what it was. 

I know its already been said a few times up page, but special credit really needs to go to Gemma Chan for one of the worst leading roles I've seen in years. I can only presume she was so worried at the level of quality from the rest of the cast she purposely delivered this performance in order to spare their ridicule. 

Half the runtime could be cut by removing all the attempts of shooting a late 90s soft rock album cover with people standing looking sad in a wide shot of random empty scenery.

I think this is hands down the worst of the MCU movies as even with the other bad ones they put out there might have had some charismatic cast members to carry some of the nonsense. This was just all round bad, if anything I prefered the Snyder & Whedon Justice League movies to this, which is quite something! Disney have been quick to take action previously if they felt something was going off track, but I feel like I'd been hearing for months that they were concerned how this was going yet nobody seemed to step in & change director/actors etc? Surely someones head should roll for this? Then again it has a Marvel logo slapped on it, so it will still make millions despite itself.

Would not recomend in the slightest, it felt like watching Attack of The Clones, only someone has removed all the action scenes and every character was now Padme.

2 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Would not recomend in the slightest, it felt like watching Attack of The Clones, only someone has removed all the action scenes and every character was now Padme.

KaneClapping.gif

This was just all round bad, if anything I prefered the Snyder & Whedon Justice League movies to this, which is quite something!.

In the finale I was thinking that it doesn't have the incredible hubris of the Snyder version or the simple decency to be short like the Whedon version.

Just watched this. Poor plot, poor casting, poor script, poor acting, badly edited, dull locations, boring scenery, tepid action, soap-opera standard drama & ultimately just a completely tedious waste of 2.5hrs. The only reason I can think for making this is Disney had an empty month in their 2021 schedule, so needed something to release & didnt really care what it was. 

I know its already been said a few times up page, but special credit really needs to go to Gemma Chan for one of the worst leading roles I've seen in years. I can only presume she was so worried at the level of quality from the rest of the cast she purposely delivered this performance in order to spare their ridicule. 

Half the runtime could be cut by removing all the attempts of shooting a late 90s soft rock album cover with people standing looking sad in a wide shot of random empty scenery.

I think this is hands down the worst of the MCU movies as even with the other bad ones they put out there might have had some charismatic cast members to carry some of the nonsense. This was just all round bad, if anything I prefered the Snyder & Whedon Justice League movies to this, which is quite something! Disney have been quick to take action previously if they felt something was going off track, but I feel like I'd been hearing for months that they were concerned how this was going yet nobody seemed to step in & change director/actors etc? Surely someones head should roll for this? Then again it has a Marvel logo slapped on it, so it will still make millions despite itself.

That last sentence is amazing.

Who could have imagined that the director of Nomadland could have made a dull, meandering film?

25 minutes ago, Festoon said:

That last sentence is amazing.

Who could have imagined that the director of Nomadland could have made a dull, meandering film?

I've never watched Nomadland, because I learnt over 20 years ago that Oscar Best Picture nominees were always dull and meandering......

2 hours ago, drmick said:

I've never watched Nomadland, because I learnt over 20 years ago that Oscar Best Picture nominees were always dull and meandering......

I can't clap in agreement hard enough at this. 

I’m genuinely amazed by how everything that is interesting (and there’s not much to pick from) about the Eternals - with the exception of Sprite - was entirely lost by this movie.

comic book spoilers - well barely, because they’re obvious in the comics and entirely missing here

Spoiler

The whole of deviant society, and the fear factor of being remorselessly hunted. Is rejected in favour of sub-transformers level monsters.

Basically no scheming, no anger, from characters you might expect it from.

The Eternals are not eternal. Which leads you to wonder what the point is.

The Gaiman and Gillen runs are so much more interesting, it’s frankly bizarre. Whereas I can’t generally say the same about other comic runs converted to movies, where they haven’t chopped the whole concept basically out wholesale.

I'm so glad that I watched No Way Home before I saw this or I'd be feeling pretty worried about Marvel Stage 4 right about now. What a dreary old slog this film is. Gemma Chan and Richard Madden have so little chemistry it makes Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman look like one of the great screen couples. Considering their relationship is supposed to be the emotional cornerstone of the movie that's a real problem. There was prerelease hype that visually it would at least be a looker, but for the most part I thought it looked pretty chintzy and  surprisingly cheap in places. It might be u fair but I kept mentally comparing it to the visuals in Dune and how poorly it came off in comparison. There's a CGI character after the credits that looks absolutely awful and I'm not even sure why they even made them CGI in the first place.

When it ends with the message Eternals will return it felt more like a threat than a promise.

I now have a new appreciation for the friends who I've made sit through ludicrously long credits for a scene that means the square root of fuck all to them.

Me watching the mid-credits scene:

spacer.png

Me watching the after credits scene.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Watched this last night. Had very low expectations as everyone says its shite. 

I thought it was ok, i wasnt bored at any point like others have said. Certainly had a lot of interesting aspects and some cool action scenes but also some fucking baffling ones as well. And the inconsistencies with the groups powers had me shouting at the TV.