Marvel's Eternals

JohnC

35 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I think there's only so many times you can see the same characters get a few cuts and bruises but walk-off any damage from whatever country/world/universe-ending threat they face this week. 

Genuine Eternals spoilers, do not read if you're planning to watch:

Spoiler

This is definitely not true of Eternals! Half of them get merc'd! Unfortunately you've only just met them, so it doesn't really land with a lot of gravitas. 

Saw it on Saturday.  An overwhelming sense of "meh" amongst the audience.  Overlong and dull.

By far the worst experience I've had watching an MCU movie at the cinema.  That's not to say it IS the worst MCU movie, but it's definitely competing for that title, and its length counts against it where some of the other lesser MCU titles are at least kept to a solid 2 hours.

Tonally I felt it was all over the place.  On the one hand an artisically shot (most of the time) and thoughtful 'epic' idea, but then interspersed with real b-team 'marvel quip' humour.  It was too jarring and needed to commit more to being different, or simply be more fun like the Avengers movies so the humour felt more at home.

It makes a critical and arrogant error of expecting you to care about the characters just because they exist, not because they're given any kind of real character development.

Spoiler

Summed up in my opinion by the 'joke' made by the kid who says he "saw Superman on TV, flying and shooting things with his eyes" to which the response is just "I don't wear a cape"  - the inference to the audience being very much 'but that's the only difference so please think of me as you would superman'.

Incidentally, both Batman and Superman getting overt references in this movie - I think that's the first time the MCU has acknowledged the in-universe existence of DC's characters within the universe's pop culture?

Finally, that 'cameo' in the first post-credits scene... what a load of tosh.  People just laughing in the cinema at how bad it was - this big build up, hiding who it is (my kids were shouting 'Thor!') and then steps forward Harry Styles looking like...Harry Styles.  So many sighs.

I remember reading that they were going to try to keep the cosmic and earth-based stuff apart for this phase, which I thought made sense. It doesn't seem to have panned out this way, but I thought a more grounded period for our Earth-based heroes after the apocalyptic nature of Infinity War might've been a good contrast - Norman Osborne as President, Dark Avengers etc. I'm sure they're going that way with stuff like Falcon & Winter Soldier, but it feels like quite a minor branch compared to the multiverse and cosmic stuff.

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

It makes a critical and arrogant error of expecting you to care about the characters just because they exist, not because they're given any kind of real character development.

Reveal hidden contents

Summed up in my opinion by the 'joke' made by the kid who says he "saw Superman on TV, flying and shooting things with his eyes" to which the response is just "I don't wear a cape"  - the inference to the audience being very much 'but that's the only difference so please think of me as you would superman'.

Incidentally, both Batman and Superman getting overt references in this movie - I think that's the first time the MCU has acknowledged the in-universe existence of DC's characters within the universe's pop culture?

Finally, that 'cameo' in the first post-credits scene... what a load of tosh.  People just laughing in the cinema at how bad it was - this big build up, hiding who it is (my kids were shouting 'Thor!') and then steps forward Harry Styles looking like...Harry Styles.  So many sighs.

This. Most of the characters only seem interesting because of what you imagine they could potentially be, not because of what we're actually shown.

Sprite is probably the perfect example of this

Spoiler

On paper, she should be incredibly interesting. A teenager who can never age and so is perpetually trapped in adolescence, yearning to mature so she can experience love and have children but knowing she will always be denied because of who she is.

Thing is, we see and feel practically none of this via the movie itself. We're just suddenly told she loves Ikaris and we're told everything she desires and resents, but we never really experience any of it with her. 

So during one of the defining climaxes of the movie, where she is given humanity and therefore the power to age but also to love and fulfill her dreams, it feels really hollow because I never really felt like I went on that initial journey of frustration, longing and helplessness with her.

It's all a symptom of trying to do much in one movie, ultimately. There is at least two movies worth of material here, or an entire TV season would maybe have worked better.

They've tried to cram reams of exposition, establish various different characters we've never met before in different eras and countries, and involved multiple threats all in one movie and none of it has room to breathe or be expanded on properly.

I've not seen it yet, but do you think some of the characters needed their own movies or be inter woven into others peoples movies first? I'm not saying a movie for each Eternal but maybe a movie focusing on one group of them and then another on another group then a 3rd with them coming together. Basically like how the Avengers did it with Phase 1.

I thought the length of the film made sense when it was announced with it having to introduce several heroes at once but sounds like having too many heroes we've never met before just became a burden.

Well I really enjoyed it, and so did my daughter who was really happy at the inclusion of the gay and deaf character. 
It wasn’t without its flaws 

Spoiler

The deviants were a bit of a lame threat, until they were allowed to kill ajak. 
Would have liked more of a story about the power stealing deviant. 
The idea that they are just there to facilitate human growth by killing deviants doesn’t quite work either, their powers are such an odd mix, it’s impossible for them not to intervene, so it’s a bit contradictory. 
There’s also the fact that 3 of them have powers that are effectively non-combat or even support roles, 

Superman, Wonder Woman, one punch man, finger guns and the flash are all fighters, arguably teen-Loki is useful, with a healer to back them up.

But tech dude, surly mind control teenager and transmogrifier don’t really have relevant skills for fighting, they’re there to interfere. 
So I think they probably should have sussed out the truth earlier. 
I did like the scene with Cersei and the celestial where she’s all like “Hans, are we the baddies?”

The emergence was amazing, love the idea that there is now a giant marble being sticking out of the sea, but can’t help but think the creation of that much solid rock in one place would unbalance the world on its axis  

It was good that it was so different from recent marvel films, it looked great, a solid if not spectacular bit of sci-fi fun. Which is what you expect from a marvel film. Does what it says on the tin. It’s not top tier but it’s also not a bad film as some would have you believe. 

I also really quite enjoyed this.  All the characters were under-served, which is not surprising considering the size of the cast, but the core story felt pretty fresh despite having a typical Marvel ending.

Spoiler

The twists felt genuinely surprising for the most part too, which was really quite nice for a change. Especially in a Marvel movie. I did not see Ikaris's betrayal coming at all. However, Dane's addition felt like the most shoe-horned piece of setup they've done so far, which is a concern.

I think it's hard to fault the ambition here a least. They're really swinging for the fences and dipping right into big epic comic book weirdness and I love it.

On 07/11/2021 at 22:10, Festoon said:

If only the public weren't pretty tired of X-Men films, that is.

On 08/11/2021 at 00:09, Festoon said:

I think the former. There have been so many, with so much of the mythology explored. Very tough sell, imo.

The X-Men franchise is an odd one. There’s been a few times where it looked like it was on a downward trajectory only to come back swinging.  The original team played by the original actors got more successful every time they appeared. Wolverine is undoubtedly a big draw, and Deadpool has been incredibly successful. But the First Class team never really took off with the public, and I do wonder if it’s too soon for another take on them. There’s still a lot of people for whom Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman etc are those characters, and I don’t know if people would want another new cast.

On the other hand, one of the big benefits of the X-Men is the diversity of the characters. It’s not like FF where you have to cast a new Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny. You could have a new take on the team that kept parts of what people are familiar with but used other mutants who are less well known. There’s a lot of great X-Men stuff like the Danger Room that’s never really been used. They’ve done Magneto and Dark Phoenix to death but there’s plenty of other villains they’ve never gone near. 

Personally I’d do a generation X movie, but I love them. I do think that Wolverine is the one thing they have left that might raise excitement levels about his addition to the MCU. Ditch all the Fox actors and show us those three claws and I believe you’d get a similar reaction to the one they got when they added Spider-Man.

On 08/11/2021 at 14:32, Benny said:

I always thought Spider-Man: Far From Home was a nice sort of "epilogue" to the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe. After that I had an overwhelming sense that I was "done" with the franchise and there would have to be something truly exceptional to draw me back. This doesn't sound like it's it.

Pretty much agree with this.  We need a break from superhero stuff for a while.

My wife, who is also a card carrying MCU apologist, recently asked me if I'd have been okay, if the MCU had just stopped after Endgame?

I said yes, while remembering that I'd asked her the same question not that long ago and received a look, like I'd slapped her across the face.

This time however, she just agreed with me. 

"It's time to either end it, or reboot the original characters."

And while I don't agree that they should reboot it, (I'm quite enjoying where Thor has ended up), I also don't give a fuck about ANY of the new characters that they have introduced post Endgame. 

I'm hoping that No Way Home shakes things up a bit, as I'm a sucker for some Spidey action, but I very much doubt it. 

That said, in ~10 years time when phase 6 (?) is climaxing I imagine we’ll all be whooping and hollering and applauding. Back at the start of phase 1 it took a while for me to fully buy into the universe. I immediately fell in love with ironman but didn’t really give a monkey’s about Norton’s hulk, cap 1, thor 1 etc

I think going absolutely all on crazy multiverse nonsense is 100% the way to go. Imagine explaining some of this would be made 10 years ago.

As long as Spiderman and Dr Strange land, I think it'll be fine. MCU has always been pretty safe, it's good to see them push it a bit.

5 hours ago, McFly said:

Pretty much agree with this.  We need a break from superhero stuff for a while.

I'm a card carrying MCU apologist and I would have easily been happy for a 4-5 year break after Spider-man. Obviously that would never have happened but imagine the anticipation of going back into the MCU after a few years off. I know the pandemic kind of gave us a break, but still not that long and bar Loki and Wandavision everything else has been lackluster.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

That said, in ~10 years time when phase 6 (?) is climaxing I imagine we’ll all be whooping and hollering and applauding. Back at the start of phase 1 it took a while for me to fully buy into the universe. I immediately fell in love with ironman but didn’t really give a monkey’s about Norton’s hulk, cap 1, thor 1 etc

I couldn't give a shit about Captain America when it first started and by the end, I'm getting goosebumps and nearly tearing up just watching him step out the shadows in a train station.

My wife has watched them all but has just no idea now of when films are set (Black Widow) or what events occured when (Falcon & Winter Soldier) and so spends a decent amount of time trying to remember characters, their relationships, and when stuff happened.

In the case of Wanda Maximoff, she cannot recollect her from the Avengers films at all (fair, she gets fuck all of interest to do).

The whole thing is too intricate and confusing for casual fans. Just like most comics, in fact. Doubling down on this strategy is a mistake, imo.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

I reckon No Way Home is about putting Spiderman back in Sony territory.

Or the opposite. I've seen that the reliable trade publication Production Weekly has 2 as-yet untitled Sony-Marvel movies listed for 2023, with Feige listed as a producer, which he hadn't been up to now (except the actual Spider-Man movies).

I enjoyed this but it deffo suffered from too many characters that could have interesting stories about them, but didn’t have time to do enough to show that. Like, they set up juuuust enough for the idea that they all have a bunch of things that have shaped them or that they’ve done over the 1000s of years they’ve been on earth, but they never get any time. And some of it I could imagine being really good! A number of them have quite clear and logical moral dilemmas due to their powers and how they fit that into their place on earth and how that shapes them. But they get a brief flashback at most. 

Other than that it was ok. The deviants were a bit pants and the main one just kind of came out of no where. Spoilers for the next bit including a shot I really liked at the end….

Spoiler

I thought the post big fight shot in the park was really cool looking - with the clouds parting and the skies darkening then suddenly Arishems eyes appearing. Then you can see he’s just there, right near earth. 

Also not sure why the main deviant suddenly became able to talk. Was that supposed to be because of the evolution thing that they mentioned earlier? Either way, it just came across weird. 

But, the deviants weren’t really the main villain of the film, they were totally just a red herring for the twist of the eternals true purpose setting up conflict with the celestials. And I did like how it handled then conflict within them (though if they could have spent more time showing some of their stories that may have been more engaging). I liked that they didn’t all slot into following the good side or evil. Kingo basically noped out of there because he didn’t think they could beat ikaris, and sprite had her reasons to follow him too. And even in the end, Ikaris wasn’t evil, he was doing what he believed to be the right thing, that the celestials were the greater good. 

I think this sets up a sequel where the obvious conflict is “we need ikaris, he’s the strongest. But we’re not quite over him nearly helping the world end”

Got back from watching this and I enjoyed it too, it did feel long yet not long enough for character development. It had some good ideas and themes but yeah if people are saying this is worst than Dark World I say they're lying.

Also  Makkari was super cool. Super speed done right.

11 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I'm a card carrying MCU apologist and I would have easily been happy for a 4-5 year break after Spider-man. Obviously that would never have happened but imagine the anticipation of going back into the MCU after a few years off. I know the pandemic kind of gave us a break, but still not that long and bar Loki and Wandavision everything else has been lackluster.

Again almost exactly my feelings. I saw Iron Man in the cinema and fucking loved it. Endgame was the right time to stop. I know a lot about a few Marvel characters and a little about a lot of them. I know nothing about the Eternals.

14 hours ago, Stigweard said:

It would never happen, but they should've had a break for a couple of years or so, but still been filming now, so they could release a whole phase's films over the course of 12/18 months. I'm not sure I have the interest now in any of the remaining (and new) characters to keep me interested for another 3-4 year buildup to the 'big' film. 

I've only seen Wandavision and I thought it started to build into something (after a slow start) but then still managed to have some filler before ending on a bit of a whimper. I was left disappointed and haven't really felt any inclination to watch any of the other shows as a result. 

24 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I thought Shang Chi was a lot of fun, did really well with some of the martial arts stuff too.

I thought it was very so-so and was bored at a number of points. There were some plusses - the two leads had some nice chemistry and there were some funny bits, but I thought the tale it told was painfully average (not unique to this film by a long shot).

Following on from Black Widow (which I thought was genuinely rubbish), I'm at the point of not needing more Marvel at this point - though my girlfriend does want to see this, so I doubtless will soon.