Marvel's Eternals

JohnC

I suspect the trailer is showing very little beyond introducing the movie. It's not doing much for me at the moment, but I expect that will change as more information is revealed.

10 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Oh god, I hope this isn’t another Inhumans catastrophe.

Inhumans was the TV side imploding. It didn't have anything to do with the movie lot, for whatever that's worth for Eternals.

In the trailer, I was somewhat confused by "watching & guiding humans" but "never interfering in history". Unless that's just trailer cutting, they have a somewhat confused prime directive.

Even though I'm familiar with the source material, I thought the same thing as whoever made the Inhumans comparison earlier - visually it reminds me of that awful TV show. I thought we would get colourful cosmic Kirby visuals brought to life, but in that short teaser it all looks extremely bland and by the numbers. It's just a teaser so the full thing could be way better, but as a snippet to get people interested it fails completely imo. 

That shot of the ship appearing should be awe inspiring but it just looks really flat and mundane like a Space Mondeo pulling up at a lay-by.

Just reading what's supposed to be their power sets in the movie and they all sound so super generic. Think this one will be a tougher sell than usual for Marvel.

“Marvel are making a movie about a superpowered family.”

”The X-Men!”

”No, think more cosmic.”

”Oh… The Fantastic 4?”

”No, I'll give you clue a bunch of space weirdos created by Jack Kirby.”

”I read something in Variety about something that sounded like that, The New Gods?”

”No, that's DC and over in development at Warner Bros.”

”The Inhumans? I thought they already did a TV show and it was a horrible mess everyone would rather forget about.”

”No, it's… wait for it… The Eternals!”

/partridgeshrug.jpg

People are comparing it to Marvel taking a chance on Guardians of the Galaxy, but compare the very first trailer for that to this in terms of building anticipation.

9 hours ago, Harsin said:

Fucking lol at them all stood in a line doing power stances at the end, like the Tory front bench posing on Brighton beach after a conference.

Those characters should look larger than life, instead standing there they look like unhappy parents tagging along with their kids to a cosplay convention who were obligated to dress up for the occasion.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

That shot of the ship appearing should be awe inspiring but it just looks really flat and mundane like a Space Mondeo pulling up at a lay-by.

Just reading what's supposed to be their power sets in the movie and they all sound so super generic. Think this one will be a tougher sell than usual for Marvel.

“Marvel are making a movie about a superpowered family.”

”The X-Men!”

”No, think more cosmic.”

”Oh… The Fantastic 4?”

”No, I'll give you clue a bunch of space weirdos created by Jack Kirby.”

”I read something in Variety about something that sounded like that, The New Gods?”

”No, that's DC and over in development at Warner Bros.”

”The Inhumans? I thought they already did a TV show and it was a horrible mess everyone would rather forget about.”

”No, it's… wait for it… The Eternals!”

/partridgeshrug.jpg

People are comparing it to Marvel taking a chance on Guardians of the Galaxy, but compare the very first trailer for that to this in terms of building anticipation.

It's a different beast for sure, this feels more like a drama, which I guess you might expect from Chloe Zhao and would be perfectly fine by me, but probably a difficult one to market.  It's still one that I'm more looking forward to, whether it's a flop or not.  The MCU is big enough to have niches now and even if it fails like Ang Lee's Hulk, it might still be interesting.

14 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Those characters should look larger than life, instead standing there they look like unhappy parents tagging along with their kids to a cosplay convention who were obligated to dress up for the occasion.

Jupiter's Legacy.

I really liked that teaser, although I agree the gag at the end was a bit rubbish. It would be fine in context I'm sure, but it wasn't funny enough to end a trailer on. I liked the grandness of the rest.

2 hours ago, squirtle said:

They have never interfered... Until now... 

So, the decimation of 50% of the universe wasn't enough for you guys to do something about? 

Maybe they were all as conveniently snapped as Peter Parker and friends?

• 2 months later...

I've loved all the Marvel movies. Every one one of them to different levels and only now , after this trailer, have I given the slightest fuck about what Eternals is doing. That looks potentially game changing in terms of the MCU and suitably epic in scale so bring it on. 

It’s like they had a checklist of things to tick off when they made that trailer. 

Sweeping shots of the environment

Orchestral music that builds up

Half baked revelation

BWAAAAA

Studio card

Quick cut away from the big guy

Shit joke at the end to give the characters personality