Marvel's Eternals

JohnC

11 minutes ago, deKay said:

Well, re: your spoiler

Hide contents

Adam Warlock is a big hero and/or foe in GotG so he's a shoe-in for GotG3.

Eh, what's that got to do with the price of eggs? :lol:

Spoiler

Adam Warlock will be played by Will Poulter in GotG3. Harry Smugtwat is Eros, the brother of Thanos. 

edit: New page now, Dekay, therefore your ninja edit does not exist. ;) 

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Eh, what's that got to do with the price of eggs? :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Adam Warlock will be played by Will Poulter in GotG3. Harry Smugtwat is Eros, the brother of Thanos. 

I was never confused.  But I also edited it before you replied. :)

But I did not see your edit until after. I only saw it because I went back a page to see if anyone else had posted after you. Anyway rubbish heroes are rubbish, especially Richard Madden who was a walking plank of balsa! 

I guess with a big old cast like that, it was always going to struggle to introduce the characters coherently.

None of them are particularly likeable or interesting enough for you to root for them.  The story is plot hole tastic and does feel like a its just there to set up a lot of MCU to come. 

But I still like it, although i struggle to say why.

Maybe it would have done better if it was completely outside the MCU. I don't think a TV series would have help either. There are crazy people that hate the  Loki series and that's a well liked and established character. Imagine an hour long episode of Richard Madden navigating his way round a room full of furniture and trying to stand out, it doesn't bare thinking about.  

Maybe it'll become a cult classic in time.

21 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Maybe it'll become a cult classic in time.

I think that's only a possibility if any directs sequel is truly spectacular and sheds new light on the original movie. To be honest, Marvel bottled lightning with the Avengers, and I don't think they'll ever manage it again. 

edit: Also, the film rubbed me the wrong way right from the very beginning:

Spoiler

The Celestials were the beginning of all life, and therefore life on earth is according to their design. Despite me not being religious in the slightest, I feel the true origins of our existence should be left well alone, to the imagination, no matter the fiction. The Avengers and the infinity stones skirt this somewhat, but the Eternals movie basically spells out intelligent design, and I really hated that. 

12 hours ago, deKay said:

I think The Eternals would have worked better as a TV series.

I actually strongly agree with this. The dynamic of the family infighting and flashbacks to different stages of their lives throughout human history was a lot like the kind of storytelling you get in something like Sandman or Good Omens.

I think a TV series would have ultimately been a bit longer in running time but allowed the backstory and characters to be fleshed out more and lent more weight to the family disagreements and big revelations later on, without feeling like a bit of a slog.