rllmuk
dumpster

Turn your PS3 into an intriguing emulation machine

9 hours ago, amc said:

Yeah will have to try that, would love to have the PSP Ridges and a few others on the old tank. I'm currently having a smasher playing Sega Rally, the port from the Saturn. Only put it on for a quick lap but still playing away an hour later. Some absolute gems on the PS2 that never officially hit our shores.

Slightly OT but if you can try and get hold of the PS2 port of the original SEGA Rally arcade game that came as a bonus with SEGA Rally 2006 in Japan. Arcade-perfect conversion.

Yeah? Thought this was it tbh but it's a port of the Saturn game and not the arcade. Pretty sure this came with 2006. Will look into it as a port of the arcade would be fantastic.

Hi folks, I hope that somebody here could help me. I recently acquired a launch 60gb Japanese PS3 (model no. CECHA00). I'm currently using it with a step down transformer but would prefer to get rid of the step down & use a UK 3 pin plug with no step down transformer. I've read conflicting articles about simply plugging the machine into the UK mains using a UK lead with a Japanese PS3 in that some say it works & others say it doesn't. Obviously I don't want to blow this machine up by bypassing the step down transformer & plugging the machine directly into the wall with a 3-pin UK plug. The sticker on the back of the PS3 says "100V-3.8A 50/60hz". Can I plug this PS3 staright into the UK mains with a 3-pin plug?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

That's what I thought when I looked at the sticker. I'm playing it safe for now with a step down, but some say there are multi-voltage PSU's (ie: 110v - 240v) in these original PS3s despite what the sticker says. Either way, I've had a fun afternoon installing all the "extras". PS1 / PS2 / PSP ..... here I come!

21 minutes ago, shiffy said:

That's what I thought when I looked at the sticker. I'm playing it safe for now with a step down, but some say there are multi-voltage PSU's (ie: 110v - 240v) in these original PS3s despite what the sticker says. Either way, I've had a fun afternoon installing all the "extras". PS1 / PS2 / PSP ..... here I come!

yeah, the theory is that all ps3 have the same multivoltage psu, to reduce costs, but no. not worth the risk.

8 hours ago, shiffy said:

Hi folks, I hope that somebody here could help me. I recently acquired a launch 60gb Japanese PS3 (model no. CECHA00). I'm currently using it with a step down transformer but would prefer to get rid of the step down & use a UK 3 pin plug with no step down transformer. I've read conflicting articles about simply plugging the machine into the UK mains using a UK lead with a Japanese PS3 in that some say it works & others say it doesn't. Obviously I don't want to blow this machine up by bypassing the step down transformer & plugging the machine directly into the wall with a 3-pin UK plug. The sticker on the back of the PS3 says "100V-3.8A 50/60hz". Can I plug this PS3 staright into the UK mains with a 3-pin plug?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mine just has the three pronged uk kettle lead going to the mains. It's exactly the same as your model, launch 60gb JPN machine. No power conversion or anything. Runs off UK mains fine. No stepdown required.

* EDIT. HANG FIRE, JUST OFF AROUND THE BACK OF THE TV TO DOUBLE CHECK. BRB.

20180602_212837_001.jpg

Need to confirm but mine may actually be a HK version, which has all the same function as the OG BC JPN machine but with the benefit of running off UK mains. There was no power input sticker on the back so perhaps ignore what I've wrote above as although basically the same model Sony may have changed the power requirement for the HK market. 

1 hour ago, amc said:

Mine just has the three pronged uk kettle lead going to the mains. It's exactly the same as your model, launch 60gb JPN machine. No power conversion or anything. Runs off UK mains fine. No stepdown required.

* EDIT. HANG FIRE, JUST OFF AROUND THE BACK OF THE TV TO DOUBLE CHECK. BRB.

20180602_212837_001.jpg

Need to confirm but mine may actually be a HK version, which has all the same function as the OG BC JPN machine but with the benefit of running off UK mains. There was no power input sticker on the back so perhaps ignore what I've wrote above as although basically the same model Sony may have changed the power requirement for the HK market. 

Thanks for the info AMC. With what you said plus more reading I have taken the plunge and just stuck a UK kettle plug into it ...... all absolutely fine! The step down transformer has gone back into retirement!

If I were to put a bigger drive in ( I only have a 120gb drive in there) would I need to do the whole process again and what's the largest size drive I can put into the Slim?

1 hour ago, wev said:

If I were to put a bigger drive in ( I only have a 120gb drive in there) would I need to do the whole process again and what's the largest size drive I can put into the Slim?

I would imagine that all you need to do it replace the hard drive, go through the recovery options, then when you have a working pS3 again, do the PSUPDATE part of the mod.  The bulk of the process in the OP is backing things up in case things go wrong.

I think when you hack the PS3 it's flashing the system rom so you don't need to reflash or whatever way it is you hack the PS3 slims etc, the rom will still be flashed after upgrading your HDD. Basically what Dumpster says.

So, @amc and @Vimster , is there a port of Saturn Sega Rally to the PS3?  I have the disk that came with the 2006 remake and it's the arcade version, and doesn't work well under emulation at all.  If there was a Saturn port, I'd love that.

@dumpster (why isn't @ working for me chaps?) It must be the arcade port and I'm having rose tints with regards to how the arcade and Saturn versions shaped up with each other. I've played both in the past and felt the disc that came with 2006 looked like the Saturn Vr as opposed to the arcade Vr. Just had a little lap and it is indeed the arcade as it has the transparent windows that certainly were not in the Saturn release and runs at much higher frames. As for how it performs, bare in mind this is a full BC machine, I'd say nowhere near perfectly. I'm no DF but it doesn't look to be 60fps and it has a lot of slowdown.  It could be aiming for 60fps which I think the arcade was and it seems to mostly run well above 30fps which was the Saturn but like I say lots of slowdown, mainly on corners. Saying that, my god it's still lots of fun. 

Lots of PAL PS2 games have a 60hz option so you shouldn't see borders top and bottom.  For those that are 50hz only, maybe use an NTSC version.  If you're talking about borders either side, some PS2 games have a widescreen option.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_alternative_display_modes

PS1 PAL games are all 50hz bordered jobbies I'm afraid.

I'll have a look in the options as its borders surrounding the whole picture but yes some bordering I expect due to my games all being PAL

So last night, I tried a PSP game and I am wracking my brain now to try and remember which one it was.  Anyway, I loaded it via Managunz, and the console froze.  This has happened before with some incompatible games, so I didn't think much of it. However, the console didn't reset, so after an hour I turned it off and on. 

When it came back on, it said the file data may be corrupt as the console was not switched off properly. Usually you go through the process by pressing X , or you can skip the process by pressing circle.  Weirdly, X just rebooted the console then the same message would appear.  Circle rebuilds the database (so it seems X and Circle are reversed), reboots the console, then the same message would appear.  The only way to get past this was to go through the whole safe mode process, which rebuilt the database.  This took longer, but afterwards I could use the PS3.  It still gave the error, but X skipped it.  However, after turning the console off, the same inescapable loop happened the next time. 

So the only thing I could do was option 5 on the safe mode menu, which resets the whole console.  What was strange was that this wiped everything back to factory settings,  but didn't remove the softmod.  However all the ISO files, the launchers etc were all removed as are all my PSN purchases. Now I'm not sure what to do - I don't want to risk going on the PSN store to re-download all my purchases in case I get blocked or something - would that affect my PSN membership on my PS4 for example?  But I have loads of stuff on the PS3 that I will miss if I cannot re-download it.

If I continue with this modding endeavour, I will certainly be running the ISOs from USB  (if it lets you - can you do that?) because it takes no time to reinstall the launchers, but ages to copy all the ISOs across.  I'm wondering if a modded PS3 is worth the hassle as for all of the initial wow moments, it's not as stable as the Wii.  I think the Wii is a better emulation machine, but the PS3 is great for PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP stuff.  But the compatibility with PSP and PS2 games is an issue, especially if they can crash the console to the point where it won't easily come back on and you have to reinstall your launchers.  

I actually have two ps3s that have faulty blu ray drives, my two youngest jammed stuff in them, I soft modded one but today decided to fix the other. It's been like it for a while but I didn't expect to find a fucking Blockbuster card inside the blu ray drive! Anyway, it's working now.

However, if I do the other one, which is the modded one (anyone want to guess what may be in there? I've no idea :lol: ), can I run PS2 games straight from disc or do they have to be copied to the HDD?

After staying away from the PS3 modding since learning that:

• PSP emulation can be anywhere between doesn't work at all, or perfect, depending on the game.
  • Any time your console freezes you risk getting into a loop that can cause you to reformat the hard drive.
  • If you reformat the hard drive, do you dare connect to PSN to redownload your purchases?

But for some reason, I'd completely forgotten about the PSP capabilities of the Vita, and I have both a Vita and a PSTV here.  I think the Vita would be a much better piece of kit for emulation if the storage was cheaper, and now there's an SD card based solution I started reading up again.

This had completely passed me by, but the PSTV allows you to put a USB stick in the back and use this as your memory card. You have had a modded PSTV with Henkaku (now available for all firmwares) and you can use VitaShell to mount the USB stick, copy all your UX0: contents to it, then mount the usb stick as UX0: and suddenly you haveall that lovely free space to play with.  This means you can download the (amazing) Adrenaline PSP emulator, fill the USB with your ISO files, and finally play every single PSP game with perfect compatibility on the TV.  Also of course you can play Vita and PS1 games so this has started to look like a lot less hassle than using the PS3 for those.  

This leaves me with only one question - is there a way to play PS2 games on the modded PS3, without copying the ISO to the internal PS3 hard drive?  (When I had to restart previously, the newly formatted console was still modded, so the main inconvenience was copying all the ISOs back onto it.  If I could keep them all on an external usb drive, it wouldn't be as much of an issue if something went wrong again.

I thought you could run them from an external drive? I copy them across anyway but I don't think I have to.

I need to get around to setting up my Wii, I put the homebrew channel on it years and years ago but then used the SD card I had in it for something else so need to see where it's currently at (and get a new Wii remote as mines fucked). Tempted by a PSTV but I've already got more stuff under the than I have hdmi ports (via a switcher) for (plus they go for more on eBay than I'd be happy to spend on another modded machine)

Retroarch on PS3 doesn't do N64 at all, something to do with PS3 being a completely different language to the existing emulators for N64, so it would need an entire rewrite and no-one ever completed the task, although some did attempt it.

After starting this thread, I see my PS3 as a great way to add PS2 compatibility to an otherwise incompatible PS3, and a good solution for backing up your PS2 and PS3 games all from the hard drive, on a multi region system.  But the most I've used it for Retroarch, PSP and other emulated formats I've found the Wii and the PSTV to be much better alternatives.