Jackson

Laser League - "An instant multiplayer classic"

Had a brief go and it seems decent. However it also feels like another game where I will be utter shite compared by other online players. 

Been playing this afternoon. 

My gosh, it's bonkers good! 

Fast, frenetic and oodles of fun, and simple to pick up and play too :wub:

19 hours ago, bradigor said:

Had a brief go and it seems decent. However it also feels like another game where I will be utter shite compared by other online players. 

this.

I had some credit on PS Store so took a punt, didn't immediately grab me and suffered from small text old man syndrome on many of the menus, plus its not on the Switch which somehow always makes me feel less well inclined towards games nowadays.

will give it another punt today, I liked the art style a lot and think my initial low key reaction was more down to me than game quality.

I really like this, I think it's ace. Not as complex as I initially thought but lots of potential for different strategies (which is a good thing). 

Despite being on game pass does appear to suffer from lack of players on Xbox. Get matched with partners ok but mostly against bots.

There was an interview with the developers on Eurogamer last week:

There is one platform that's missing, of course - and more's the pity, given how well suited Laser League's fine-tuned multiplayer is to Nintendo's Switch. "I know for a fact it's perfectly set up for Switch," says Bennett. "You can play it with one hand! Originally the idea was having a game you could play while smoking a cigarette or having a beer and playing it local multiplayer - we're of that generation that grew up with GoldenEye and Mario Kart. It'd be awesome on Switch, but right now it's just one of those standard developer lines - we'll suck it and see when it launches."

• Upvote 1

just had a game with some randoms and my gosh, that was FUN! 

once it clicks, you really get into it. 

i think this is much more my bag than rocket league, and can see myself pouring some time into it as a result. 

:wub: 

This is excellent, but I fear it will die a quick death. Local co-op would be incredible, but my second attempt at looking for a match online last night paired me up with 5 AI players. (PS4) I looked to see if people were streaming it on Twitch, and there were a handful of channels averaging 4 or fewer viewers.

I think this needs to do the same as Rocket League and get onto PS+ as quickly as possible to get some traction.

• Upvote 1

It appears that you can't team up with a couch friend and go online. That's really disappointing - my many nights of 2 vs 2 Rocket League with my girlfriend have been some of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had.

10 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I think this needs to do the same as Rocket League and get onto PS+ as quickly as possible to get some traction.

Well it's up for free (y'know what I mean) on Xbox Game-pass but of course that has nowhere near the traction of PS+ sadly.

I've put a few hours into this this week and it's a bit good isn't it? The game play seemed a bit shallow initially but once you understand the classes there's definite depth there. Smacking people into the lasers is a thing of beauty. I'm not sure many people are playing it though as outside of peak hours I've had fairly long wait times and games where AI make up the numbers.

I played this on PS4 this evening for about 40 mins, which was enough to show me that it's amazing. 

It it didn't make much sense from the videos I saw of it, but once I stated playing it just clicked. 

Have yet to play online but 1 v 1 or 2v2 local is superb. Very quick to understand/play but has depth with abilities. Is added right away to my one room multiplayer rotation with Bomberman, puyo Tetris, overcooked, Mario Kart... 

• Upvote 1