Pockets

PES 2019

21 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Coming from around the last decade playing Fifa, this does seem very good after 3 online matches. 

A bunch of fifa things to unlearn but I’m really enjoying what I’m playing. 

The demo is online?

1 hour ago, Chooch said:

Has manual pass always been on a trigger? That’s a great implementation of that. 

Yeah, for at least four versions now. I've rarely used it yet I love having it available just in case.

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I really don't expect this to be any different than the last two (or 3, losing track), but nakamura's comment would suggest otherwise. Demos are free now but i think i preferred the 90s demo discs for instant playability. It will take me hours to find out.

I played FIFA after and had a great time as usual but I didn't immediately think fuck this is way better than PES. I wanted to play some more PES and that hasn't happened since the PS2 era. It felt genuinely good. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, meatbin said:

- No stupid cpu transfers, especially at the start of the mode

- Option to switch off regens

- Less rubberbanding from CPU

- More fouls and injuries (this is partly gameplay based, but seeing more players out because of injury and suspension would be great).

1. Transfers are supposed to be better/more realistic now. I'd be dubious but say they're maybe going to be a bit less ridiculous.

2. No idea but doubt it.

3. Do you mean in terms of points in a league or in game? I doubt anything will have changed here regardless.

4. Supposedly the AI are now more aggressive. Whilst I accept the issue, I never really wanted loads of fouls in 15 minute matches. I think people often look at real life stats and then wonder why they aren't the same in 15 min computer games. Not saying that's you, just a general opinion. Injuries do seem to occur more through the new stamina system, though whether they end up leading to missed games is unknown.

14 hours ago, Gotters said:

My immediate reaction after a couple of matches is it feels stodgy and lumpen, especially shooting.

Ball feels like a medicine ball and all a bit ‘dead’. 

Not immediately grabbing me

I actually sort of agree with this, but would say 'in a good way'. I know what you're getting at but I think the slowing down of certain actions and a weightier ball improves the game. It may just be that you need a little time to get used to it, you can still do lots of cool stuff but you need to be aware of when it will come off and when it won't a little more.

I've played a few games now and it definitely takes a while to notice the changes, especially with 5 min halves, but they've improved the game for sure. I couldn't really pick any one thing out but the overall feel is more immediate and engaging. You feel like you need to pay attention at all times which you didn't before. Last year certain moves, passes or shots, were predictable in a way that meant you didn't really need to think about them. This year, due to altered ball and player physics as well as better AI, both for user and CPU players, it's never certain exactly what will happen. In fact, if you pushed me to pick out one thing it would be better movement from defensive players to cut out passes - there is still space on the field, but it's no longer so uncontested.

Aside from that, there is a pretty bad graphical bug on the PC causing a weird ghosting effect and HDR is a pain in the arse to get working, just as every other game finally sorts it out. Hopefully this will be fixed for the full version.

18 hours ago, Chooch said:

Yup! 

Awesome. I don't recall previous demos including that? Maybe I've just forgot.

Cooked my dinner as it finished downloading. Came up and left it go cold as i waited to find someone..quick game offline then..didn't notice much difference but at fastest speed i like it the most of the previous few. The passing is really elegant, players seem to be able to pass with the highest ease and mid movement. They've been improving this for years but it's even more striking here. They've increased the response of the player movement just enough for me to be able to play it intuitively. Still not keen on its type of play, they emphasize the power of passes and shots, they want that physical tangible feel to it, hence the inclusion of vibration which i turn off. I want flow, but the balance has been tipped just enough for me to play and enjoy it. 

The graphics are so vivid and sharp. Replaying pro evo 2018 in comparison it's muddy and dry. The dribbling and turning is slower. Replaying pro evo 2017..it's even slower. 

i can certainly play this online. It grates that again little things like adjusting game speed online and the choice of 30 minute games aren't available (it seems). And that you pick your team before you find an opponent, meaning you can't see an opponent pick a team in a league and then match a derby. 

not an issue if you know someone in real life/online i guess who plays the game and you can agree on times to play and message each other about possible teams to pick so they match. none of which will happen. 

and the replays are still shit. I think I'm convinced each new game has departments that just don't look at a lot of the game's design. 

Best since..2015 for me. 

11 hours ago, Pockets said:

We clearly want completely different things from football games, and yet we both like this so maybe they’re onto something. 

What do you want?

I just want to play passing football, do endless one twos and have runners, hold the ball and dribble to shift defenfers out of position so i can body feint back and do quick transitions. In the previous two games i think they made defenders more robust, you'd get intercepted more easily. Which would be fine but coupled with the slower turning you couldn't really play and prise open defensives. You couldn't gain flow. Basically like with any pro evo with a bad connection online and you can't just play because of the lack responsiveness. You're always working against the cumbersome nature of it. 

So it's not just about wanting a quicker game of football, it's that increasing the game speed means the turning is less of an issue. When online i always pick short grass and wet if it makes any difference. I might get online. Would be good to play people on here (ps4). I've had peo evo friends online in the past but they'd only be online really occasionally. It'd be great, they'd pick spurs or west ham and vary their play, not just sit and press triangle. 

I'm getting poor connections online. Had maybe two good games out of 7. What reminds me of why i play pro evo is how a piece of animation will surprise you. Firmino picked up the ball on the D, and to do the through ball to Salah he did his piroutte back flick, Salah's shot was blasted in off the far post and it was glorious. 

I dislike the luminous player icon and that you don't have the option of player name (except for opponents for some reason). 

Been able to get some games of the demo in over the weekend.

I say "some games", when really what I've done is play as Colo Colo against Liverpool with a steely determination to win the bloody game, and have yet to do so. Liverpool's gegenpressing and quick breaks keep undoing me, and being a demo I'm more inclined to jump into another match than fiddle with tactics. Which might be why I keep failing.

Anyway, on the pitch it's as good as I've been enjoying it for the last few years. It's off the pitch I worry about, being a Master League player for the most part. The addition of new, properly licensed leagues will help but I still yearn for more literal depth - it's high time we had Leagues One and Two, even if it means London Dons and South Wales County.

And, y'know, all the changes required to stop it feeling like some weird Japanese RPG. That's charming up to a point, but on the field the game's good enough to warrant a proper football treatment.

• Upvote 2

I've had some wonderful games of this online. Even prompting me to use the word wonderful, which i never do. 

The connection has been near perfect the last few days and I've quickly adjusted my formation to make a 3-4-3 with a diamond, mostly playing as Liverpool. Had a great end to end competitive game and then a 4-3 thriller where i was behind throughout then last minute running in on goal with Mane...i wasn't that bothered about winning really and perhaps if i did care i wouldn't have taken the strange decision to cross to the far post as i approached the keeper..somehow Salah got ahead of the defender and knocked it in. I screamed yes. After all these years it still feels good to come out the winner in a pointless game against another person in another part of the world who i will never meet. 

Still get people who reduce the game to through balls though, almost entirely. It's not unlike playing against an ultra efficient AI, as the repetition is unnering. Get ball, triangle. 

My favourite goal is still the one touch passing which finishes with the horizontal lay off by the D for the on rushing player to smack it in. But just cross field balls are so satisfying. I love diagonal ball launches from my defender after noticing on the radar a little bit of space for my winger to run into. 

I saw a great finger tip bending save from a shot i had. They've really in this generation run of games improved the keeper animation but at the same time it can feel like you're watching the same animations over and over. I don't know how you'd even go about varying them. Most in real life look the same. 

Another massive improvement over the years, possibly the biggest thing is the delicate chip through balls. Simply could never do them before, they'd always be too much pace on the ball. You could never do a deft chip with height and would drop. It's a revelation that I've barely taken advantage of because I'm so used to them never coming off. In my last game i had the ball, pass was blocked, came back to me outside of the box. Saw a run, did a chip, ball fell on to penalty spot, easy goal. Into the hands of the keeper in the pro evo of 5 games ago i think no matter how often you tried. 

I'm finding crosses hard and corners but they're boring goals anyway. It's still very much vertical power football, there's positives and negatives of that. The best thing is that you feel the power and pace of the ball in shots and through balls. The negative is..somehow it feels less varied in terms of play and animations. I dunno. Like it stretches the play more widely. I'm able to get behind defences a lot more. 

Would like to play people on here but i always say this and no one responds. :( lonely loik

fine I'll just batter a random french kid into submission

still only 3 formation save slots as well. grr

edit: i also like when the opponent leaves a replay of yours, if it's of something neat like a rapid one two with backheels and stuff i like to think they are so impressed they're in awe. im so arrogant i dont care.

Really starting to play this now. My football is like the lovechild of bielsa and guardiola.

• Upvote 3

I'm going to have to buy this game. I fear for my time. Perhaps i shouldn't. Perhaps i should sell my tv and ps4 just to make sure i cannot then buy the game. 

I'm going to wear my best leather jacket and shuffle up to random people and say, heh, heh, do you do you play pro evo online? yeah mate. here's my card with my ps4 account name. find me find me. or else ill find you hahahahaha. 

Liverpool are gonna be immense with keita. no more switching henderson, can and milner around wondering who's better. 

ohh the cross through balls with their bend and outside of footness are so good. It's replaced the three stab circle low super straight cross. No, just bend nicely to the runner. 

• Upvote 2

That low cross is a double tap these days. The lofted ball that used to be a single tap became an R1+circle affair. 

That's a move that works for any lofted ball, too. I love flicking a pass first time over a closing opponent with it, makes them look like fools.

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Did anyone else have their fan go bananas on this?

Yeah, i noticed this yesterday but not the previous days I've been playing it. I just assumed I'd damaged my ps4 from falling asleep while playing it and leaving it on for hours before it goes to sleep. Can usually be 30c in my room but it's been cooler the last few days. 

If you like diagonals and nifty through balls, try advanced through balls in the settings. They seem mental at first but you can do wonders with them after a bit of practice. 

The key is to realise that it's about how long you hold the direction, not the button. It's tricky as usually you'll hold the direction and press the button and keep holding a similar direction for the runner to run onto it. With advanced, you do direction and button but release the direction when you feel you've placed the pass correctly (you can have a cursor for this but I find it off-putting, with practice you can do it without one once you get a feel for it). You can then immediately hold a direction for your runner if need be so it's effectively on-off-on with the left stick.

It sounds complicated, and I suppose it is to some extent, but you get a feel for it pretty quickly and I'd really urge anyone who's likely to play more than casually to try it out for a few games. It can be immensely satisfying as you can drill through balls to precise positions quickly. With basic you can hold the button for more power/distance but on advanced you can get the distance with the stick which makes long passes much quicker to pull off. A simplification would be tap the button but really hold the stick for a slowish long through ball, or hold the button longer with less time on the stick direction for a firmer, shorter through ball. It's hard to explain but give it a go.

Here's an example from PES 2018. The replay is in slow mo, the pass is actually much quicker than it looks here so that guy in midfield that looks like he should maybe stop it didn't really have a chance. 

• Upvote 1

I didn't know about advanced through balls, thanks. That pass is pretty epic. I don't really know about any of the advanced settings really. I do the R2 dribbling but mostly just play simple. These new pro evos aren't bothered about tutorials and video exercises like the ones on the ps2 were. Unless there's some i don't know about in the menus. 

Been replaying the other pro evos afterwards to best see how they compare after really getting into this new one. The slow turning which i always mention as a negative is something you adapt to. I think that's why people have such differences in opinion on the games. It can be what bothered you before doesn't now and you can no longer see the issue, because you just play around it. It can feel slow yet other times fast. It's weird. 

So pes 2017 felt like it had most in common with 2019 in terms of turning, it's just the defences play so tight and deep and are always in with the interceptions, and coupled with the superman keepers there's not enough reward for build up play. Pes 2018 slows it down, reduces defender strength and keepers ability. Both games have dry, plain muddier graphics. The new one is so crisp and vivid. It shouldn't matter but it's so stark. 

The difference with these new keepers is their ability to cover the goal. They never made flying fingertip saves in any of the games pre 2017. I think what bothered me about 2017/2018 was their knack at covering the floor as well. All the way through the 00s you'd know a certain goal would be scored if you raced towards the keeper and tapped shoot as lightly as possible so the ball rolls under him. In 2017/2018 they were kicking out like the best of De Gea.

I think a major improvement would be not variety in animations but less expectation of seeing ridiculous saves. I've never really noticed much difference in keepers. I've seen wonder saves from the most average one. (Which tbf can occur in real life as well, if average keeper means any that play in the premier league, which might not be fair).

In real life, players don't neccessarily need to hit the side netting or shoot into the corner to score. Kane gets quite a few goals hitting low and hard. The one against Courtois where he shrugged off a Chelsea player and hit the ball underneath him shouldn't have gone in from how far out he was. Messi's champions league final goal vs Van Der Sar, and another near post strike vs Neuer. All pretty central outside the box, the keeper set. Just enough power to fly past before they have chance to get down. Recreating those shots in the game i think the keeper saves each one. i think wonder saves in the game should be rarer, basically. 

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

I’m one of those people who loves the through ball. And in this (the demo at least) the other attackers don’t run onto the ball as they should. It’s as if they’re holding back. Ah! :(

I’ve noticed that too but often when I’ve checked it’s because they’re holding an offside line. Either the defensive AI is better at playing it or the attackers are better at holding it. Or both. 

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

I’ve noticed that too but often when I’ve checked it’s because they’re holding an offside line. Either the defensive AI is better at playing it or the attackers are better at holding it. Or both. 

Yeah. I noticed that they seemed to be holding the offside line. It’s just different I guess. Will need to move to plan B (play it down the channel and whip it in (I should have paid the extra to get David Beckham)).

37 minutes ago, Jonnycash said:

Anyone getting this day one on Xbox? If so please add me would love a few forum games. Gamer tag below cheers

Tha Dirty Get 

Yeah. I have it pre-ordered off the Turkish store, but the release clashes with silly season (Yakuza Kiwami 2 is out a couple days before; Dragon Quest XI the week after; Shadow of the Tomb Raider the week after etc) so probably won’t be on much. 

Sion2100

In their infinite wisdom they’ve removed the Spanish and Italian second divisions to ‘make room’ for the new licenced leagues as if they’re contstrained to a 40MB cartridge or something. 

Kinda fucks Master League for a lot of people and defeats the point about a larger database. 

They are really fucking stupid. (I was going to add ‘sometimes’ at the end there but they do something like this every year). 

I can see how that would be annoying for anyone invested in master league. I get irritated by little things, like showing a replay of an offside and having to watch the gold PES scuzzle in your face every time which is here to stay forever and ever i suppose. If only there was an option to switch it off in the menu, an addition that would take 5 minutes to implement. If i could just have an hour in a locked room with the director of the series..

Remembered the other day Dortmund weren't in the series for years. For whatever reason, it's a shame when that team in 2011 were one of the world's most exciting teams that they weren't featured. Extra gutting if you played in that team and loved pro evo, if there's any footballer out there you doesn't only play Fifa.

I had some pros last night, the first was trying out that magic through ball stuff i think, and generally just messing about. It's not just the efficiency and lethal directness of pros but i find their kack in anticipating and intercepting is always so jarring and hard to adjust to when 95% of other players don't bother. I had one half with no shots, and to have less possession in a game when they've not just ball hogged means I've been the lesser player. 

Maybe there's other tricks to score 25 yard strikes because I'm not finding it easy. Most of the goals i score are simple low passes past the keeper, which has always been a sure fire goal. But it would be nice to score a thunder bastard sometimes when you feel like being more aggressive. Again in real life it varies wildly. De Gea can fingertip save Mata's corner of bar/post free kick many years ago but every week you see more central shots go in. Mainly because the keeper has moved a second before or his view is impeded. The game doesn't calculate these things, it seems. 

Is it just me? Does anyone score much from 25 yards? 

I use manual shooting which isn’t that hard at all once you get used to it, much easier than manual passing. I do think it mixes things up more and allows you to do what you want rather than the game deciding what will happen. Distance strikes are definitely harder this year though. 

The more I think about Konami dropping two of the four second divisions, the more convinced I am that PES would benefit from a fantasy structure as a master league alternative. I thought that the addition of several new leagues for this season was a positive step towards a more expansive game but this is a step backwards.

A four tier pyramid containing every licensed team they have, with regionalised lower levels and a world superleague at the top would be suitably in depth for my tastes. Keep the current system, present this as an alternative to choose at the beginning of the career, and watch my concerns evaporate.

Veering more to not liking this again due to awful connections online. My BT internet is so inconsistent, never before has my connection gone down so frequently. I think the issue is, and exacerbated by lag, is that it doesn't offer an even game, it allows you to do certain things easily and certain other things with difficulty so you change the way you play because of it. One twos getting in behind are the easiest things in the game to do. Chips through balls are easy to do. It's forced vertical play, you gain when you pass ahead, you don't gain by dribbling. The games of 6 years again might have been mechanical but it didn't create this kind of uneven game. Crossing is basically a waste of time, the ball floats over pointlessly. Again, if the cross is a direct through ball pass it's quick and accurate and you can score..if the keeper isn't superman. It is more repetitive, more of a funneled game. I've not gone back to it the last few days because i feel like the same motions and patterns are playing out again and again.

The stats for the keepers are a bit artificially increased to as high as 98 for reflexes and jump for Lloris, Marc-André ter Stegen. A bit high, when you consider Messi doesn't equal that number for ball control or balance and his dribbling is far beyond anyone ever. 98 keeper stats would suggest the best ever and almost impossible for improvement. Like if Yashin is in the game. Those keepers are not considered that special, just top 10 in world.

Found player names above players in controller setup not match screen...ok