Ran

Dreams - MM, 5pm GMT livestream 04/01/19 - beta signups to follow

I think about this constantly. It looks like the thing I have craved to get my hands on since I was five years old and sent a single A4 page of game design for a cat simulator to Amsoft! :lol:

11 hours ago, Ran said:

I think about this constantly. It looks like the thing I have craved to get my hands on since I was five years old and sent an single A4 page of game design for a cat simulator to Amsoft! :lol:

That better be the first thing you make.  We need more cat simulators.

• Upvote 1

Watching the music demonstration and it's staggering. I'm really excited to see what users make.

I remember feeling the same about LBP, but the audio editing in this looks like it's on another level.

5 hours ago, Shoes said:

Watching the music demonstration and it's staggering. I'm really excited to see what users make.

I remember feeling the same about LBP, but the audio editing in this looks like it's on another level.

Yeah I was pretty impressed with the audio stuff. Will likely buy it based on the strength of just that! 

What no posts for this since Nov?? This remains, 3 years in, absolutely my most anticipated Ps4 game. I bought the console last Christmas in the hope that the beta would hit... And still remain hopeful something might still happen this year, beta or demo wise (although that said it's becoming a very faint and forlorn hope). 

Regardless - given the sheer scale of ambition that this promises am surprised the thread has sunk so much... :(

7 minutes ago, c-cat114 said:

What no posts for this since Nov?? This remains, 3 years in, absolutely my most anticipated Ps4 game. I bought the console last Christmas in the hope that the beta would hit... And still remain hopeful something might still happen this year, beta or demo wise (although that said it's becoming a very faint and forlorn hope). 

Regardless - given the sheer scale of ambition that this promises am surprised the thread has sunk so much... :(

I think most people now know they'll never produce anything worthwhile from a tool such as this, and the full expectation is everything created in it will be a sub par version of things you can play in a far more pleasing way in a dedicated game of that type.

Unless this bucks the trend I think people know what they expect from this type of thing now and it'll get an Edge 10, and be bargain binned in a month. 

• Upvote 2

Blimey: harsh :)

I don't think it'll be a poor man's tool. I have a cautious amount of optimism that 3 of the 4 component parts will work really well and be entry level points for music sequencing, 3d modelling etc. I really REALLY hope that the VR art aspect works well as that's the bit I'm most wanting to delve into. I'm surprised they've not examined the idea of it as a coding/teaching tool as that would fit right into a wide age range of STEM subjects nicely. They may well be, that said, I know nothing. It's certainly going to go into a VR art room my college is building I hope. 

What I worry about, that said, is a No Man's Sky style backlash where the Web piles on aspects that need improving or that we get a game which, on release, needs a hundred weekly patches. I also worry that the sales figures for a game which has been in high profile development for as long as it has.... Well. I hope it reaches them as the rationale and high concept for the game has the potential to be awesome. 

• Upvote 1

It’ll be like most of these creative games - a handful of people with the time and talent will produce lovely things - the vast majority of stuff however will be absolute trash - exactly like LBP strangely enough. 

• Upvote 1

Beta details have been announced:

Closed beta arrives December 19th which is only accessible for those following the Media Molecule community newsletter PRIOR to today.

The beta will run between 19th December - 21st January.

General beta signups start 8th January.

Download size is 4 GB

No PS+ required

Must sign a confidentiality agreement.

Media Molecule are currently streaming the game on Twitch

Ha! pretty gutted at that but it's fair enough, It didn't occur to me they'd stipulate anything for beta signup beyond a PS+ subscription. I wouldn't be able to access much before the 1st of January anyway so will wait eagerly for the 8th!

4th is sign up and yes... Does make sense and I can imagine their Christmas will be hyper hectic as a result of the timing. 

But sigh. Sods law and all that. Oddly enough I was convinced I was signed up for it but for life of me can't find which email account.... :(

Hey people of the forum! Just a brief reminder to all who are interested:

The beta begins for those accepted on the 8th and runs till the 21st of January.

Despite it's online nature a PS+ subscription is not necessary bless them. I will be hammering away at my keyboard pushing my digital elbows into as many faces as possible to sign up tomorrow so good luck to all. Hopefully those of us who don't get to try it won't have to wait too long for the full release!

• Upvote 2

Well, if like me you're a little gutted to have not been sent a golden ticket yesterday then there's still hope.

A second wave of codes are going out on Monday (14th Jan) I assume around the same time at 4pm gmt. 

I'm already sharpening my pitchfork and readying the bitter anti-dreams thread that I'll vomit onto the forum when I don't get in. :D

@Ran did you get a key?  I got a key today...but my PS4 has been put away so probably won’t be able to use it. 

Don’t know if they are transferable but you’re welcome to try...let me know if you want the code. 

• Upvote 1

That's very kind of you. I'm sorely tempted as I am still without an invite but I've read elsewhere it's possibly a bad idea to use a key not associated with your own PSN ID. 

I am checking into this to see if I could use it without upsetting the apple cart, but if you use it in the meantime or pass it on to someone bolder than me that's obviously cool! 

I really do appreciate the offer if nothing else, really made my day thanks. 

Edited by Ran
  • Upvote 1

I got into the beta yesterday and played some stuff. It's clearly an absolutely amazing thing to have on your PlayStation - that being said, I've yet to play a level that would get more than a 2 in Edge (including the ones made by Media Molecule staff). There isn't a barrier to entry here, but there is a definite barrier in learning enough to create something properly good, and I don't honestly know at this point if it would even be possible. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. Personally I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the music editor (assuming I have access to it) to see if it's in any way comparable to a home DAW. 

• Upvote 1