Ran

Dreams - MM, 5pm GMT livestream 04/01/19 - beta signups to follow

I can't find a topic on this so I thought I'd start one as it's supposedly out this year and I think it looks astonishing. I know there is some negative feeling towards MM for their Little Big Planet games around these parts and how they aren't Edge 10/10, floaty shit platformers etc etc.

That wasn't my overriding experience with them (replayed them recently in anticipation of Dreams) and this new game/creative suite looks to be a fantastic evolution of their LBP concept.

Good Overview (cheers @tobert):

Other media:

Spoiler

Here is one of their many blog like videos on it's creation features (I could listen to their Art Director Kareem speak all day!). The sculpting tools look fantastic and in tandem with how they've implemented animation for characters it's brilliantly flexible. (about 5 minutes in they begin manipulating with the editor)

Putting together a wonderfully atmospheric scene in a jiffy!

MUSIC!

This looks amazingly intuitive and empowering, particularly using the Playstation camera to record your own sounds and turn them into instruments.

I've watched a lot of the associated media and it gets me super excited at the potential for even just messing about and creating short interactive pieces (unlike LBP it has a fully featured section for music creation as well as level/character sculpting and game logic.) 

The cherry on top for me is there is supposedly PSVR support down the road post release. Obviously that's very niche but getting to create within a virtual space itself is something I never thought accessible without working at an expensive high end development studio! I hope it finds an audience because they are clearly a very passionate, creative studio.

BETA SIGNUPS

There's a livestream at 5pm GMT today (04/01/19) here:

https://www.twitch.tv/media_molecule

Details of sign-ups for the beta to follow the livestream through their social media channels.

• Upvote 3

I never actually got to play Tearaway (no Vita). In general I think twee is a pretty fair judgement of aspects of their output. If that get's up your nose then yes you're probably going to find this just as odious. I can't say I find them overly smug though there is an air of hipster about them as an entity but personally my excitement for the tools and opportunity to play overrides any distaste in that.

I created some levels on the Vita version of LBP some years ago and was impressed by the scope and versatility of the tools. Although it's true that the control/movement never felt quite right.

This on the other hand also looks very impressive but at the same time kind of daunting. Don't think I've got the time/inclination it might take to get something good out of it. Will be interested to see what people do with it but won't bother with it myself.

I only ever played Tearaway (which had a nice world and some genuinely great moments like the Gibbet Hill pilgrimage, but a few too many "make a thing!" interruptions) and (don't laugh) LBP on PSP, which wasn't even an MM game.

My main issue with the LBP series was that what I saw of the creative stuff (from videos of what others had made etc) never seemed diverse enough - meanwhile, the creations demoed in Dreams seem a little more distinct from one another.

The creation tools in LBP were amazing, no matter what you thought of the style of the game. It's the most intuitive level building toolkit I've seen - the playing of the game and the creation almost melded.

Dreams is a funny one - it looks beyond amazing, but the means  by which they actually create stuff is beyond human understanding, like trying to understand the ways of an alien race. Need to get a hands on to understand it.. until then it's hard to get too hyped for it.

• Upvote 1

No doubt it will take a hands on for some to get on board but watching all the livestreams they've done I'm totally sold on it. It looks similar to LBP in general workflow but with way more hands on style manipulation using moves or a dualshock which should be (and looks) far more intuitive than analogue stick input.

Ultimately I think it will be another case of no matter how intuitive it is it will still require significant time investment to create anything high scope or extremely polished (and some will unfairly criticize it for that).

1 hour ago, RobNoyce said:

Ultimately I think it will be another case of no matter how intuitive it is it will still require significant time investment to create anything high scope or extremely polished (and some will unfairly criticize it for that).

You seem very invested in this game being great and are already dismissing anyone's view as "unfair criticism"  

I've always found the concept of their games intriguing.  LBP was interesting while putting a level together. Actually playing the levels was mostly crap I found.   I'll be amazed if Dreams is any different.   

• Upvote 2

I've not dismissed anyone's opinion at all? I've expressed my own view that because it will require effort to create something large scale some people will hold that against it (which I think unfair) and maybe I will be wrong about this.

Within the space of a sentence you've made a similar assertion that Dreams levels will probably be crap to play in the main because that was your experience with LBP. That's all good and what I fully expected because I know how divisive LBP ended up being as a product. It's fair to say I am invested in it and excited about it (and I was someone who enjoyed LBP) so I'll continue to post about it in a positive light until my experience with it proves otherwise.

Anyone who has a contrary position is welcome to voice their own opinions and I accept that.

• Upvote 1

I've nothing but admiration for LBP of which I assume this is the spiritual successor (Tearaway left me a little cold). My 7 year old was able to put together a LBP level with a rocket being chased by flying sharks, it was like he had just willed his fantasies into being. If they manage to step it up a notch with Dreams while still keeping it accessible, then they'll have done something special.

• Upvote 1

I find the cynicism this gets a bit weird. 

I so glad there are people lucky enough to be bankrolled to make something like this. 

Arguments about 'playing' the creations seems a bit like they miss the point, creating *is* playing. 

Plus you don't need to be a good sculptor to create things, I made a pretty cool golem in Oculus Medium with no prior experience.. 

4u5CSWNh.jpg

• Upvote 3

Added to the first post too:

I'm more an art and animation guy but I always get way more excited about music tools. This looks almost good enough for even a dullard like me to splice an interesting sounding piece together (I won't)

• Upvote 1

That looks absolutely amazing, so much detail and control on this. If the rest of it is up to that quality we are going to see amazing creations. 

• Upvote 2

One of the co-founders of Media Molecule gave a talk demonstrating Dreams at Animex Game last week and it was amazing.

Admittedly it's not necessarily something I would buy but what he was doing and how incredibly well it ran, from a technical point of view, with zero slowdown or lag was something to behold.

The way he was talking they have a 10 year plan for it (I presume this was part of the talks with higher ups).

• Upvote 1

This is amazing. It reminds me of how I was influenced by Music and Music 2000 back in the days of the PS1, (less so the later ones), and these had such an impact on me that they pretty much shaped my life direction. I went and got a degree in Audio & Music Tech because of that and can imagine this will be a similar influence for a lot of people growing up. It's really impressive that you can design everything from scratch within the game itself. 

• Upvote 3

It all looks very clever, and I'm sure the tools and tech behind it are immense, but my issue with the majority of things like this is the content that ends up being created isn't actually that good to play, the core game is compromised - sure the people who make it have a blast, and maybe thats the point its all about creating, but if you just want to play a game LBP was a bit shit compared to proper dedicated high end platformers.

Only thing I can think of that made high quality levels from users was Modnation Racing back on PS3, and the Mario Maker game, which worked because of the stripped back nature of 2d Mario platformers in the first place.

• Upvote 2

A lot of videos like this should be coming out of E3 – and if you've been keeping up with the game it's not really anything new – but I think they're a good introduction to what the game is for the uninitiated.

If you've only time to watch one I'd suggest the last one, as that really shows the breadth of things that can be created.

• Upvote 2

Just watching this video which feels like a pretty deep dive demo into the many tools dreams has. It looks amazingly/scarily deep and I look forward to what others can create safe in the knowledge I will never have the time to do something this complex

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, tobert said:

I look forward to what others can create safe in the knowledge I will never have the time to do something this complex.

I have a similar view, only with videogame release schedules.