rllmuk
Revival

198X - An Arcade adventure

Are you an Eighties throwback like me? Well listen up you might like this...

198X is an arcade epic. A coming-of-age story told through multiple games and genres, worlds and characters. Experience the thrill of shooting, driving, jumping, fighting and role-playing – combined with emotional, cinematic storytelling. Welcome to the world of 198X – where a new life is just 1 credit away.

e26c9a8c6f289c9028d8fb94053110d5_origina

cdf55ab2ee86441598467ef4c0e9cf64_origina

It's currently up on Kickstarter and will aim to release on all Consoles (yes Switch too) and PC in 2019. There's lots of digital tiers with many extras. It's not very expensive to support.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1103388577/198x/

Looks promising or will it be a cynical nostalgia cash-in jack of all trades and master of none?

• Upvote 4

Saw it earlier. Tempted... Looks like it could be ace. 

I mean in theory this sounds great but the cynic in me wonders if it's so easy to pull off, why aren't we drowning in games from each genre?

I'd love it if they managed it but I feel like each game is going to be weightless and lacking in depth.

• Upvote 1

Tempted, if good it could be a call back to the hey day of amazing multi-part games like Ocean used to make.

If it fails it could be a call back to the hey day of amazing multi-part games like Ocean used to make.

Anyone who's played both Batman:the Movie and Terminator 2:Judgement Day will understand exactly where I'm coming from.

• Upvote 9

On 06/05/2018 at 04:34, Unofficial Who said:

Tempted, if good it could be a call back to the hey day of amazing multi-part games like Ocean used to make.

If it fails it could be a call back to the hey day of amazing multi-part games like Ocean used to make.

Anyone who's played both Batman:the Movie and Terminator 2:Judgement Day will understand exactly where I'm coming from.

Weren't most of those games terrible though?

(Batman and RoboCop were ok I suppose but my memory seems to tell me everyone got really sick of Oceans style of stitching together sub-standard genre sections into a long multi load game, definitely the fun was wearing thin by the time Terminator 2 came out).

17 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Weren't most of those games terrible though?

(Batman and RoboCop were ok I suppose but my memory seems to tell me everyone got really sick of Oceans style of stitching together sub-standard genre sections into a long multi load game, definitely the fun was wearing thin by the time Terminator 2 came out).

That was kind of my point (although I could have made it clearer.) Terminator 2 was///pretty average. When Ocean hit the mark it was great. Other times you'd end up with a weak selection of mini games.

On 06/05/2018 at 04:12, SMD said:

I mean in theory this sounds great but the cynic in me wonders if it's so easy to pull off, why aren't we drowning in games from each genre?

I'd love it if they managed it but I feel like each game is going to be weightless and lacking in depth.

Yeah. Nobody's managed to make a scrolling beat 'em up that gets anywhere near Streets of Rage 2, so I'm a bit dubious that this developer can do it given that they're also trying to make new versions of Shinobi, Outrun, R-Type and an RPG of some kind. Doing any of those individually would be hard enough, let along doing all of them as subsections of one game.

• Upvote 2

Ocean had a habit of picking up movies and turning them into sidescrollers with occasional interludes (here's the tile-slider stage! Here's the 1v1 combat stage!) They weren't ever terrible (at least, they weren't too buggy and you could play them without wanting to hurl the stick out of the window) but you ended up with a lot of samey titles and a few standouts...

I will get the soundtrack vinyl. Call me back once they’ve proven the game. Scope seems way too ambitious.

So pleased they hit the goal, it seems super intriguing! 

I'm more interested in the bits outside of the arcade games to be honest! 

I bought and completed this in less than an hour. 

... a to be continued type of game which has really annoyed me!  It was pretty good, even the twee story was enough for me to want some sort of payoff. 

i know it was a kick starter, but that was worth about £2-5 max. 

Bit of a waste of £8!

• Empathy 1

Yes.  I just want to play it, not sit through rubbish story-telling.

It seemed to go on forever between the first level and the second.

I've just finished this and agree with what's been said on here. 

Story - load of guff, I didn't care for it, but as I knew the game was short I let it play out without skipping. Meh, even at the end I had zero interest in the characters and it moved along too slow and predictably to draw me in.  As for the actual game-play, I enjoyed everything it threw at me, and the "levels" ended just as they were becoming a wee bit tiresome.

Unless you're desperate for some retro action linked with a shallow story that can be completely skipped, I'd wait for a sale. Not worth £8 IMO.