Lovecraft Country - HBO

I watched it last night, thought it was another one that was done really well... finding it very hit and miss though.

The final episode is next week right, can’t see how they can wrap things up neatly unless it’s an extended episode or something.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Er... am I the only one who watched the episode this week?

It was a shit and disjointed mess like the rest of it since episode 1, I think this show has to be the most disappointing thing I've seen after that amazing pilot episode. 

Yeah it really went into the theme of generational trauma and why Montrose is the way he is. 

Absolutely love how Hippolyta has turned into Dr Manhattan plus the superhero in Dee’s comic and also embraced her true self

The ending felt flatter somehow than the rest of the season.  But that's not to say it wasn't good. Just not as great as what has come before. 

Do love the possibility of 

Spoiler

Dee with her robot arm and pet shoggoth kicking ass. As well the possibilities of where the story can go next with them having some strong ass magic. 

5 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

Has anyone read the book? Interested to hear how similar/different it was. 

Really quite different indeed. Hit most of the same story beats in the main but did a lot dfferently. 

I may revisit the book again at some point. If I ever get back to ready anything other than sequential art. 

21 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Has anyone read the book? Interested to hear how similar/different it was. 

I'm half way through the book right now.  As Cassidy says, it's quite different indeed in places, but completely faithful to the tone and spirit.  It's split into chapters that broadly match the episodes of the series, but things happen in a different order, some things are omitted entirely from the series, some characters are combined or invented for the TV show.  The cosmic episode where Hippolyta goes into through the portal in the observatory, for example, is quite different in the book - she still goes through a portal into a different reality, and returns somewhat changed, so in spirit the episode is the same, but in detail it is very different.

On the whole I enjoyed it. Some eps were great, some awful. The main disappointment was the general lack (apart from one or two scenes) of anything ‘Lovecraftian’. It felt more like American Gothic or some such, scary magic, body horror, just not much that felt remotely cosmic horror.

I know, but every promo image of the show had big Cthulhu tentacles rising menacingly over the characters, which is only really relevant to 5 seconds of a dream sequence in the first Ep. It was somewhat mis-sold, unless you know the source material.

Completely ignoring this entire thread to avoid any spoilers so I just have one question: is this worth getting a month of NowTV to binge through? Is it amazing, or merely good?

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Completely ignoring this entire thread to avoid any spoilers so I just have one question: is this worth getting a month of NowTV to binge through? Is it amazing, or merely good?

I gave up half way through - thoguht it was a mess.  Approach it like the Twilight Zone and don't expect any Lovecraftian stuff and you might enjoy it.  

3 hours ago, Benny said:

It's great. Better than good, not quite amazing, I guess?

3 hours ago, Laine said:

I loved it all but a lot of people here didn’t.

I definitely I think it’s worth watching to find out for yourself! 

Wouldn't say it was "a lot".

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

I gave up half way through - thoguht it was a mess.  Approach it like the Twilight Zone and don't expect any Lovecraftian stuff and you might enjoy it.  

On the other hand I thought it was great and well put together with lots of Lovecraftian stuff (because Lovecraft is more than just tentacles). 

Spoiler

now that I know that it finished... and finished properly, I'll go back to it and give the remaining episodes a watch.  I thought the National Treasure episode was complete bobbins and that sucked a lot of enthusiasm I had after the first two episodes, which I thought were great.