Lovecraft Country - HBO

On 05/09/2020 at 21:27, JohnC said:

Ep 4 is on the high seas. Another theme this time

Hide contents

Sort of horror-tinged Indy

Yes,

Spoiler

very much spot the Indy/Spielberg reference. Best episode so far. Everything in the museum was so ridiculous, I loved it. 

So, ending of ep4:

Spoiler

Why do we think Montrose killed the Siren?

Misguided attempt to protect the family?

Something more sinister? 

I can't imagine Hippolyta heading back to Ardham is going to end well...

Also, saw a review talking about Montrose being gay. I have not picked up on that at all - has anyone else? They've made it clear that maybe Tic was actually George's son, but I hadn't noticed anything alluding to Montrose being gay. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

So, ending of ep4:

Hide contents

Also, saw a review talking about Montrose being gay. I have not picked up on that at all - has anyone else? They've made it clear that maybe Tic was actually George's son, but I hadn't noticed anything alluding to Montrose being gay. 

Spoiler

Wasn't the bar where he was last seen before going missing a gay bar? I think 'tic walks in on the barman and another man having sex while looking for his Dad.

2 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Hide contents

Wasn't the bar where he was last seen before going missing a gay bar? I think 'tic walks in on the barman and another man having sex while looking for his Dad.

Maybe? I don't know, now! I know what you're referring to, thought it was a coincidence. Clearly not observant enough. 

Am I missing something with Episode 3?

The scene where Hippolyta was talking to Montrose in the shop - there's a clear noise like 'something' happened. All I could see was it looked like the outside was slightly reversed? 

2 hours ago, Spatial said:

The scene where Hippolyta was talking to Montrose in the shop - there's a clear noise like 'something' happened. All I could see was it looked like the outside was slightly reversed? 

I noticed that too. I even rewound it to see if I’d missed something, but all I saw was what looked like someone running past the window.

Glad it wasn't just me - there was definitely something going past the window but it was a blur and hard to see.

Wondering if it's just an oddity they put in there, or something that becomes relevant later on.

On 08/09/2020 at 19:18, Spatial said:

Have you watched episode 4 yet? I think it might clear it up, but I’ll have to go back and watch episode 3 again to make sure.

Was Hippolyta playing with the orrery when it happened? The blonde Braithwhite girl mentions something about a time machine to the police captain and she goes to the house looking for the orrery. I’m thinking Hippolyta might have messed around with the flow of time when she was playing with it.

Be interesting to go back and see if that’s what happens.

Best episode yet for me. I love the way each episode moves between genres - last weeks knockabout National Treasure fun and then full-on body horror this week. And I really like the way it uses modern music - Frank Ocean, Cardi B etc. That really adds something to the feel and style of the show. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

That was quite something, and confirmed a suspicion I suspect all us non-book-reading folk have had for a while. :)

If you’re referring to what Inthink you are then that’s original to the show and doesn’t come from the book.

33 minutes ago, Harsin said:

If you’re referring to what Inthink you are then that’s original to the show and doesn’t come from the book.

I was gonna point that out myself.

Character does not exist.

Nice twist I thought and whilst it got obvious last week what was going on. How they tied it into Ruby’s story was nicely done. 

Spoiler

I thought the accuracy with which she repeatedly rammed her stiletto up that man’s bum hole was quite remarkable. She’s obviously hammered a lot of nails.

12 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Best episode yet for me. I love the way each episode moves between genres - last weeks knockabout National Treasure fun and then full-on body horror this week. And I really like the way it uses modern music - Frank Ocean, Cardi B etc. That really adds something to the feel and style of the show. 

I'm loving the show, but really, really disliking the music.