Lovecraft Country - HBO

54 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Been so, so looking forward to this. Twenty mins in and I'm hooked, although they're all mumbling and I'm finding it hard to hear what they're saying. 

Glad it’s not just me who found it hard to hear any of the actors. Apart from that it was great. I did find the evil of humans far more frightening than any threat from the monsters but it’s only episode 1 and I’m onboard for this series. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Seriously? That bit was fucking appalling. I cannot get my head around the kind of mentality those people had that they thought catching a black person out after dark was a hanging offence. Humans really are the fucking worst. 

Yup seriously, the people in this are way more terrifying for me than the shoggoth because people with this mentality still exist and it's not in the south, they are all over. 

I thought this was gonna go down a 'man is the real monster' route, which it kinda does, but it also has real monsters in it. 

I loved it. Four episode rule be damned, I'm unreservedly all the way in. 

7 hours ago, SM47 said:

I for one hope those weren't shoggoths:quote:

Indeed. I generally liked the rest of the programme (aside from the damn mumbling) but

Spoiler

I would've preferred something more sinister and weirder than wobbly, indistinct CGI monsters terrorising people in the woods like wild dogs. Bring on the weird fungus people or have his dad turn out to be a brain in a jar...

What was the scene all about with the Diner. I get the reference to the Whitehouse myth and obviously there had been a fire at some point, but the chef made reference to something happening to Miss Lydia. Did the town racists burn down the diner with Miss Lydia in it?

42 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

What was the scene all about with the Diner. I get the reference to the Whitehouse myth and obviously there had been a fire at some point, but the chef made reference to something happening to Miss Lydia. Did the town racists burn down the diner with Miss Lydia in it?

Spoiler

The diner was taken over and run by Miss Lydia, which was why it was in the guide book as safe. The town didn't like that.

9 hours ago, SM47 said:

I for one hope those weren't shoggoths:quote:

Yeah, they are definitely meant to be shoggoths and they changed them up  

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

Where can one stream this in the UK at the moment?

Sky Atlantic 

38 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Yeah, like @Opinionated Ham Scarecrow says, it was in the book as a safe place and the town didn't like it so they burnt it down, painted it white to hide the burn marks and renamed it.

I actually remembered I have Lovecraft Country on my phone and got a bit over halfway through it after watching the ep last night and its really good 

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

Ah the dreaded NowTV... I'm assuming it's coming out weekly so I've got a fair wait to binge it.

Sadly, yes. You also have to put up with long, unskippable ads at the start because why should the fact you're already paying to subscribe stop them from chucking ads at you? 

Enjoyed the first episode a lot, but came here to complain about the mumbling.  Volume right up and I can still hardly tell what people are saying half the time.  Can't wait until the fashion cycles back to actors speaking loud and clear, like Cary Grant.

I also love that in the first episode they got across that Lovecraft himself was a massive fucking racist prick, despite writing some great and monumental horror fiction that undeniably changed the genre for ever, and they even seemingly made a point about cancel culture. Great stuff. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

I also love that in the first episode they got across that Lovecraft himself was a massive fucking racist prick, despite writing some great and monumental horror fiction that undeniably changed the genre for ever. 

I think it's important for the story but second only to knowing who Cthulhu is in terms of basic Lovecraft knowledge these days.

I thought the astronomy was a nice touch.

I thought the mumbling may have been down to the encoding in the version I saw, but I guess not. That aside though, this was amazing.

My wife made the point that she'd forgotten this was a "monster thing" by the time the shoggoths showed up. It was horrific enough before that, so much so that said she wanted to stop watching, but when everything went to shit it was really quite cathartic.

23 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Seriously? That bit was fucking appalling. I cannot get my head around the kind of mentality those people had that they thought catching a black person out after dark was a hanging offence. Humans really are the fucking worst. 

just saw this on twitter

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

The first 2/3rds I found really eye opening with the racism angle - I was shocked that a "negro safe planner" type book could be a thing.  But thats real:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negro_Motorist_Green_Book

and seeing that Sundown towns still exist - wow.  Shameful.

And then the last 3rd turned into a monster fest - what a crazy turn in tone!

Cant wait for next week.

5 hours ago, Valver said:

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

The first 2/3rds I found really eye opening with the racism angle - I was shocked that a "negro safe planner" type book could be a thing.  But thats real:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negro_Motorist_Green_Book

and seeing that Sundown towns still exist - wow.  Shameful.

And then the last 3rd turned into a monster fest - what a crazy turn in tone!

Cant wait for next week.

There was a fairly high profile Hollywood movie a couple of years back about this, called Green Book, which won the Oscar for best picture (and a couple of others).

Green Book is fantastic. Watch it if you haven’t. No cosmic horror though.

Back on topic, I thought LC episode 1 was good, not great. The characters were well played, it looked lovely, but it dragged a bit as they set up the reasons they were all in the car, a few scenes were a little too cliched, some clunky foreshadowing, and

Spoiler

two car chases was one too many - they should have ditched the first one, especially as the second one was much better, but I guess they needed to set up the silver car somehow. The ending was gory, silly fun, but (by design, of course) the tone clashed so hard with the very real and serious tone of the previous 50 minutes that I actually found it undermined my prior investment in the characters.

Still looking fwd to Ep2 (especially with Ubbe from Vikings in it!), but I’m a bit worried about its legs.