Lovecraft Country - HBO

http://deadline.com/2018/05/lovecraft-country-jonathan-majors-hbo-series-jordan-peele-jj-abrams-misha-green-1202381033/

Thought this sounds like it could be interesting. Based on a 2016 book of the same name. Anyone read it?

Jonathan Majors and Jurnee Smollett-Bell play the leads in Jim Crow 1950s America. They, and another character, go on a road trip to find Majors character's missing father. They encounter horrors of both the racist and Lovecraft kind.

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/lovecraft-country-jonathan-majors-hbo-series-jordan-peele-jj-abrams-misha-green-1202381033/

Thought this sounds like it could be interesting. Based on a 2016 book of the same name. Anyone read it?

Jonathan Majors and Jurnee Smollett-Bell play the leads in Jim Crow 1950s America. They, and another character, go on a road trip to find Majors character's missing father. They encounter horrors of both the racist and Lovecraft kind.

Often the same thing!

Sounds like a cool show.

• 1 year later...

The book is a great read and definitely recommended.

Been looking forward to this show since it was first announced.... if they get it right (and HBO are usually pretty damn good), this could well be sensational!

I'm interested in this, but don't want to read too much. So hopefully you wonderful people can fill in the gap.

I like Lovecraftian lore, but fucking dislike the guy himself. Does this offer a bit of a 'have your cake and eat it' situation, where we get spooky mythology, whilst condemning him for being a cunt?

If so, that would probably be ideal.

30 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I'm interested in this, but don't want to read too much. So hopefully you wonderful people can fill in the gap.

I like Lovecraftian lore, but fucking dislike the guy himself. Does this offer a bit of a 'have your cake and eat it' situation, where we get spooky mythology, whilst condemning him for being a cunt?

If so, that would probably be ideal.

Without going into spoilers, it definitely makes connections between the Mythos and racist ideas of supremacy. I'm in a similar state of mind to you regarding Love craft and adored the original novel. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, SpookyMulder said:

Starts 19th August on Sky Atlantic. Can’t wait!!!

Is it an "All episodes available now" jobby?

Well, as usual with HBO stuff there's a whole lot of money being spent on it. It's not quite doing it for me at the moment though. 

To be honest, I kind of prefer my Lovecraft vibe with fish people in it! 

This looks amazing, can't wait - hoping it will be this years Watchmen equivalent for great telly.

Also Yogsothoth for the season finale or complete bust! (I've not read the book or anything, so have no idea).

This looks super interesting. Lovecraft's work so frequently gets used to add the thinnest veneer of theme, but the trailer gives me the the impression that there's a lot more going on here than B-movie tentacled horrors attacking our heroes.

That was amazing. Perfect mix of racial-politics and monster-schlock. It probably didn't need two chase sequences but otherwise it was great. Loved the music, the monsters, the sets and landscapes. This series is going to be great. 

Edited by Silent Runner
3 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

Fuck me that was good, but famn if it didn't trigger the life out of my anxiety. Sundown towns still exist which is well scary. 

Seriously? That bit was fucking appalling. I cannot get my head around the kind of mentality those people had that they thought catching a black person out after dark was a hanging offence. Humans really are the fucking worst.