Jump to content

Films you’re sure will never get made


Recommended Posts

House of Leaves always seemed to be one of those unfilmable novels that could make a good film but probably won't happen. (It's a story about a house with a door to a shifting space of dark rooms and corridors) Most of it's in the form of a documentary anyway, but I've read that the author insists that any adaptation understands the significance of the Johnny Truant parts and keeps those in. I'm sceptical that appeals to the money men. I think some visionary director could do a decent job, though. Would make a nice VR featurette as well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill & Ted 3 - They say it's definetely happening every few years , they have a script, they both want to do it... nothing ever comes of it, though

Legend of Conan - Arnie said this was definetely on the cards as a post-comeback movie. Arnie lied.

Mortal Kombat 3 - This has been in pre production for about 15 years!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Simmy said:

Tied into the other thread, but any proper action film without CGI blood :( it's just not going to happen is it.

 

Have you seen YouTube action movie video essayist Rossatron's videos on this?

 

 

 

Appropriate advert 8 seconds in! :P

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick R said:

 

Have you seen YouTube action movie video essayist Rossatron's videos on this?

 

 

 

Appropriate advert 8 seconds in! :P

 

No but thank you, I'll check them out!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2018 at 15:01, mindgames said:

Guillermo del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness. Hopefully with The Shape Of Waters success it will help get it back on track...

 

I read the book a few years ago after hearing it was the inspiration for The Thing. Didn't disappoint. 

 

I think Tom Cruise (cunt) tried to get involved and that stopped development at one point. Does he have to try and insert himself in every single leading role!? let other actors have a go ffs. Pisses me off. I still think Edge of Tomorrow would have been 10x better without him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

 

My uncle is a producer at DNA films. I've asked him several times over the years if a sequel was ever likely and as much as they want to do one - and they really want to do one - it just isn't financially viable. So unless some rich guy with money to burn comes along and funds it then it just isn't going to happen.

 

Given Alex Garland, the writer/director's publicly stated disinterest in making sequels to any of his films, would you even really want this anyway?, the monkey's paw option isn't always better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevedave said:

 

I read the book a few years ago after hearing it was the inspiration for The Thing. Didn't disappoint. 

 

I think Tom Cruise (cunt) tried to get involved and that stopped development at one point. Does he have to try and insert himself in every single leading role!? let other actors have a go ffs. Pisses me off. I still think Edge of Tomorrow would have been 10x better without him. 

 

Tom Cruise was part of the movie. He signed on with Del Toro directing and James Cameron producing. It was Universal that killed it. They were in pre-production when the studio decided a 150 million dollar R-rated horror movie was too risky... They demanded it be PG-13 and Del Toro walked. The movie collapsed.

 

Universal got their Tom Cruise starring PG-13 horror a few years later with THE MUMMY... It sucked and killed their "DARK UNIVERSE" franchise stone dead.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Despin said:

 

Tom Cruise was part of the movie. He signed on with Del Toro directing and James Cameron producing. It was Universal that killed it. They were in pre-production when the studio decided a 150 million dollar R-rated horror movie was too risky... They demanded it be PG-13 and Del Toro walked. The movie collapsed.

 

Universal got their Tom Cruise starring PG-13 horror a few years later with THE MUMMY... It sucked and killed their "DARK UNIVERSE" franchise stone dead.

 

 

Maybe that was a god send then as Tom Cruise being the main guy in yet another role would put me off.  

 

It's the sort of premise I'd like to see with fresh faces tbh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 19:33, JoeK said:

A live-action Dragonlance trilogy.

 

The less said about the animated movie of the first book the better...

 

 

I never watched it, but I can imagine.
The original books would make such a good set of films with strong likeable characters and plot that lends itself to the screen, but they seem to be consistently ignored.

 

At this point I'd have thought they'd be far more likely to end up as a Netflix, HBO or Amazon TV series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter Jackson has had two big films lined up for years, but I'm doubtful either will ever get made:

 

One is the second Tintin movie.

 

The other is that Dam Busters remake, which he's due to produce but not direct. Stephen Fry wrote the screenplay for it, and when he went to New Zealand for his Last Chance to See series nearly 10 years ago, there was a brief bit where he talked to Peter Jackson in a hangar with some of the planes due to be used for the film (at the 19:20 mark on the video):

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralph Bakshi finally making the second part of the Lord of the Rings cartoon. 

 

Despite the the most amazing cock ups all the way through it, it’s always been this one that I see when I read the books. 

 

John Hurt’s Aragorn is the best Aragorn. Even without a beard ;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Despin said:

 

Tom Cruise was part of the movie. He signed on with Del Toro directing and James Cameron producing. It was Universal that killed it. They were in pre-production when the studio decided a 150 million dollar R-rated horror movie was too risky... They demanded it be PG-13 and Del Toro walked. The movie collapsed.

 

Has there ever been a stupidly expensive horror film anyway? The reason they keep on churning them out is precisely because they cost fuckall to make.

 

Crank 3 ain't going to happen, even if the director and Statham would be fine doing another one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, and they don't want to do a PG-13 sequel even if they were given funding to do another one, which apparently they have been:

 

Quote

"That's really the thing that makes it difficult these days. I don't think you could make Crank in today's climate," Taylor shared. "I just don't think you could get it through. A lot of planets need to align in order for that to happen."

 

Quote

"The one thing that I won't do is sort of like a cheap, boring, tame version of the Crank movie," Taylor proclaimed. "There's been opportunities to do that, and there's definitely been opportunities to just, for purely financial reasons, make a version that I think Crank fans would find lame. I'm just not going to do it. There's a lot of ideas for it. There's a lot of great ideas for a Crank movie, but it's got to be cool. Everybody's head's got to be in the right place. It has to be made for the right reasons. It's got to be creatively driven."

 

http://comicbook.com/movies/2018/01/05/crank-3-details-jason-statham-brian-taylor/

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Bill & Ted 3 - constantly rumored but has been talk lately but unlikely to happen IMO
  • Goonies 2 - same. 
  • American Pie 5 - been rumored for a long time, most cast would be up for it but the last film didn't do great.
  • Twins 2 - rumored for years, "Triplets" has had some talk lately about filming this year but.. unlikely.
  • Mrs Doubtfire 2 - unlikely now Robin Williams has passed.
  • Gremlins 3 - Rumored for a long time but despite it possibily doing really well, i just don't see it happening.
  • Wanted 2 - I love this film. I wanted a sequel but despite talk nothing seems to be happening.
  • Avatar 2 - is this even coming? I still am not sure whether to believe it's 2020 release date.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mushashi said:

 

Has there ever been a stupidly expensive horror film anyway? The reason they keep on churning them out is precisely because they cost fuckall to make.

 

Crank 3 ain't going to happen, even if the director and Statham would be fine doing another one.

 

PROMETHEUS went into production like a year later at a similar budget level and with a very similar plot.

 

It made about the same amount at the box office as THE MUMMY did.

 

They should have just made Del toro's flick when they had the chance...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Despin said:

 

PROMETHEUS went into production like a year later at a similar budget level and with a very similar plot.

 

It made about the same amount at the box office as THE MUMMY did.

 

They should have just made Del toro's flick when they had the chance...

 

I got curious so decided to answer my own question, the only film which has ever cost $150+ Million to make that was a R-rated horror film interestingly enough was The Wolfman, from Universal. That came out around the time Del Toro had convinced Universal to greenlight his project and then proceeded to bomb worse than most things bomb, didn't even generate enough revenue to equal its production budget so I think that was the biggest factor for why Universal, despite having the twin crutches of James Cameron willing to produce it and Tom Cruise to front it wanted a PG-13 version if they were going to move ahead with At the Mountains of Madness.

 

Del Toro's refusal to water it down killed them wanting another potentially expensive bomb, which is understandable when you've just lost a shit load of money on one recently. The only way that film is ever getting made is if Del Toro can cut the fuck out of the cost of making it if he wants to keep it R-rated.

 

Prometheus cost $120 Million and was basically a prequel to a long running commercially successful series and it's R-rating was purely down to a single story critical scene which the Americans objected to, some might say because of their views on abortion, otherwise it was a PG-13.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2018 at 20:58, Vespa Alex said:

 

I never watched it, but I can imagine.
The original books would make such a good set of films with strong likeable characters and plot that lends itself to the screen, but they seem to be consistently ignored.

 

At this point I'd have thought they'd be far more likely to end up as a Netflix, HBO or Amazon TV series.

 

I’d wager real cash money that Netflix or Amazon already have the rights to the Dragonlance chronicles.

 

In these post GoT times just looks like a no brainer

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.