Jump to content

MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)


Pob
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Broker said:

Rumours saying that the fox xmen contracts don’t expire till 2025 and that means no recasting any mutants who appeared in those movies until phase 7 at the earliest. Until then all we’re getting are cameos from the original actors. 


But… Disney own Fox? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:


But… Disney own Fox? 


I think the purchase meant they inherited the existing contracts and are legally obliged to honour them. So they can do Deadpool 3 because Ryan Reynolds is staying in the role. They can have a Patrick Steward cameo, and could theoretically roll a truck full of cash up to Hugh Jackman’s house to get him to be wolverine. But they can’t cast a new cyclops and shove him into Hawkeye season 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, sid said:

take Spider-Man out of it -

 

Black widow

shang chi

Eternals

thor love and thunder

 

fucking hell that’s a terrible line up in any way you want to cut it.

 

The only one of these that's actually shit is Eternals. 

 

16 hours ago, sid said:

 

the only decent one is dr strange

multiverse of madness and that didn’t set the world on fire. 
 

On the series side of it, if you bounced of Loki and Wanda, I feel like you are missing out on the wider world building…..which is why I haven’t watched dr strange yet I guess.


I can’t help but think Disney plus has fucked it right up in that regard…..anyone not consuming the series maybe feel like they are not keeping up……when in the past the films were pretty high quality bar and essential viewing really . All the way until end of season 3

 

So the only one that's "decent" is one that you've not even seen? Then how do you know it's decent?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Option 4: The fractured multiverse allows them to have all the incursions create a ‘Kang Dynasty’ with all the previous actors from the popular franchises coexisting in Kangs Battleworld. So expect RDJ, Hugh Jackman, Chris Evans, CGI Boseman, Spider-Men etc. to all show up for a big scrap at the end, then everything can settle on the New MCU, where they can recast the popular characters for a new slate of movies a few years after with no continuity issues. 

 

nic-cage-gr.gif.7206de2ee26129cb01164ba336a92509.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

The only one of these that's actually shit is Eternals. 

 

 

So the only one that's "decent" is one that you've not even seen? Then how do you know it's decent?
 


Just going off reviews etc that’s all. Not sure any of that is up to the quality of say the top 15 films of the first 3 phases anyway, so it’s all compared back to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Broker said:

Rumours saying that the fox xmen contracts don’t expire till 2025 and that means no recasting any mutants who appeared in those movies until phase 7 at the earliest. Until then all we’re getting are cameos from the original actors. 

 

So what are they allowed to do behind the scenes until 2025? Can they audition and cast as long as it isn't "official"? Are currently forbidden movies OK to go ahead filming as long as they don't premiere before 2025 or can't they start filming until then? 

 

 

Edit: Nevermind should have read more carefully: - no casting nor production before obviously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, krenzler said:

First half of Shang-Chi was great second half not as much (the usual CGI-fest). So both are half right and half wrong.

 

I'm never really sure what CGI-fest is shorthand criticism for.  The VFX themselves are fine. The Fu Dogs are outright amazing.

 

The non fighty stuff is fine.  The attack(s) on the village are not especially interesting versions of those action scenes. Apart from the Fu Dogs, which are outright amazing.

 

The final hero moment with the big bad needed something more with the cinematography / editing / staging to push it into being great. It felt really close.  Nothing to do with the technology and artistry that went into that actual VFX for the shots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's just that these big "climactic" scenes where 1000 good-guys are fighting 1000 bad-guys and stuff is flying all over the place are never very engaging to watch. Give me anything over that. They did that better in The Two Towers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Black Widow was easily the worst for me of this phase. I don't think any of them were truly great. It would have been Shang-Chi if the second half was as good as the first, which had some of the best action in the MCU. I will say that I probably liked Eternals more than most. I found the character dynamics in that pretty interesting as well as their burden of being almost god-like beings, it's a very diverse movie that was beautifully shot and the action scenes were very clean, not an over-edited mess.

I haven't watched any of the TV series since Falcon and The Winter Soldier. The only upcoming MCU movie that truly interestes me at the moment is GotG Vol. 3 (loved both previous entires).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I'm never really sure what CGI-fest is shorthand criticism for.  The VFX themselves are fine. The Fu Dogs are outright amazing.

 

The non fighty stuff is fine.  The attack(s) on the village are not especially interesting versions of those action scenes. Apart from the Fu Dogs, which are outright amazing.

 

The final hero moment with the big bad needed something more with the cinematography / editing / staging to push it into being great. It felt really close.  Nothing to do with the technology and artistry that went into that actual VFX for the shots.

 

When people complain about blockbusters' CGI action climaxes, it's usually done in comparison to smaller-scale action scenes earlier in the same movie.

 

Sometimes it's because the stakes get raised to a level that might not be convincing or relatable (early/mid film action scenes are often just about the hero surviving; but the finales have the fate of the city/world/universe at stake).

 

Sometimes it's because the finales introduce hordes of cannon fodder armies, which mean there's less personal interaction between specific characters.

 

Sometimes it's about the clarity of staging (a mid-film action sequence set in broad daylight, vs an ending that's set at night).

 

 

But a lot of the time, unfortunately, the complaints often come with a snobbish dismissal of CGI effects, compared to practical stunts and in-camera effects. I do agree that an intricate bit of fight choreography between two performers is still as impressive as ever, whereas fights between two CG doubles doing impossibly smooth acrobatics while a virtual camera swoops around them have had diminishing returns in the years since The Matrix Reloaded. But that's not the same as asserting that CGI effects involve less effort/craft/artistry than their practical equivalents, which is the unspoken subtext of a lot of complaints about "CGI-fests"!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2022 at 12:35, Broker said:


I think the purchase meant they inherited the existing contracts and are legally obliged to honour them. So they can do Deadpool 3 because Ryan Reynolds is staying in the role. They can have a Patrick Steward cameo, and could theoretically roll a truck full of cash up to Hugh Jackman’s house to get him to be wolverine. But they can’t cast a new cyclops and shove him into Hawkeye season 2. 

But pretty much every character in the original movies, apart from Hugh Jackman, was recast for X-Men Apocalypse.

 

Tye Sheridan must have an awesome lawyer if he’s got a contract stating he has to be Cyclops for 9 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, krenzler said:

It's just that these big "climactic" scenes where 1000 good-guys are fighting 1000 bad-guys and stuff is flying all over the place are never very engaging to watch. Give me anything over that. They did that better in The Two Towers.

 

These bits are some of my favourites in these films. The actions scenes are a huge part of the fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, krenzler said:

It's just that these big "climactic" scenes where 1000 good-guys are fighting 1000 bad-guys and stuff is flying all over the place are never very engaging to watch. Give me anything over that. They did that better in The Two Towers.

 

That stuff is so fucking boring. And it's always bland aliens or robots because they can't be killing people.

Remember kids - it's ok to kill thousands of things that don't look just like you.

 

It's always just a swarm of stuff, no threat at all felt by the viewer. Such a cop out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2022 at 21:25, Stigweard said:

Lol this thread

 

Person A - I like this film

Person B - But that film was shit

 

Rinse and repeat.

 

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

These bits are some of my favourites in these films. The actions scenes are a huge part of the fun. 

 

6 hours ago, Festoon said:

 

That stuff is so fucking boring. And it's always bland aliens or robots because they can't be killing people.

Remember kids - it's ok to kill thousands of things that don't look just like you.

 

It's always just a swarm of stuff, no threat at all felt by the viewer. Such a cop out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.