MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

38 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I have a feeling the Avengers are already introduced and more will be over the next few years. So the audience will be fully ready once we get to 2025. 

yeah, you’ll know who the characters are by the time they do a bigger team up movie (there’s a lot of crossover happening already).

and if the two avengers are “fight kang”, “secret wars”, then there’s not much room for manoeuvre in additional movies in between as the

Spoiler

multiverse collapses.

though perhaps one of those movies could be Kangs backstory in the Young Avengers…

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

So Phase 4 ends in November with Black Panther now? All this has amounted to....nothing, then.

The announcement of 

Hide contents

Two avengers movies in the final year of Phase 6 puts them in, what, 2027?

We're gonna go 8 years or so without an Avengers movie and then just have a team that nobody knows rock up? What? I guess they may show up at the start of Phase 6.

Feels like the wheels are falling off a bit.

I wouldn’t bet against the wheels falling off fairly soon, as in MCU films flopping upon cinematic release and the official phase plans being torn up.

10 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I wouldn’t bet against the wheels falling off fairly soon, as in MCU films flopping upon cinematic release and the official phase plans being torn up.

Yeah I meant quality wise, rather than box office.

Phase 4 movies, for me, have been 2 absolute duffers, a middling outing and 2 bangers. I've yet to see Thor, but reports are mixed, and I'm hopeful for Wakanda Forever.

The TV series have faired better 2 duffer, 1 middling and the other 4 cracking.

I'm hopeful and I still enjoy them.

23 minutes ago, footle said:

yeah, you’ll know who the characters are by the time they do a bigger team up movie (there’s a lot of crossover happening already).

and if the two avengers are “fight kang”, “secret wars”, then there’s not much room for manoeuvre in additional movies in between as the

Hide contents

multiverse collapses.

though perhaps one of those movies could be Kangs backstory in the Young Avengers…

Yeah, I get that we'll know who they are I was just wondering how the team up component works. Be interesting to see how it pans out I guess.

2 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

So Phase 4 ends in November with Black Panther now? All this has amounted to....nothing, then.

The announcement of 

Hide contents

Two avengers movies in the final year of Phase 6 puts them in, what, 2027?

We're gonna go 8 years or so without an Avengers movie and then just have a team that nobody knows rock up? What? I guess they may show up at the start of Phase 6.

Feels like the wheels are falling off a bit.

Phase 6 ends in November 2025 if they stick to the plan so that's only 6 years and they were pushed out of schedule due to Covid too. So really, I reckon we'd have had 4 maybe 5 years without an Avengers film had Covid not been a thing.

The Thunderbolts is a big team up film too, so I imagine things are going to happen over Phase 5 to pull that together. Stuff for that has already started with Black Widdow, F&TWS and Hawkeye.

Phase 4 does feel very weird and directionless though. There's a few things set up in Loki and Dr.Strange but it hasn't shown us much of where they're going. Its taken yesterday's announcements to clear some of that up. Which is fine I guess, but we've been accustomed to each Phase building and ending to something and this one has just a string of random TV and Films, with more misses in on film side than hits.

I may be being overly cynical here, but the rushed phase 6 sounds to me like they don’t have a lot of confidence in what they’re doing right now. Secret Wars seems like an obvious reboot point, where they can multiverse in some new actors and then use phase 7 to introduce new versions of iron man, cap etc for a retread of phase 1 that includes the xmen, Spidey and the fantastic four. 

The Armor Wars TV series was previously announced, but absent from this year's news. Don Cheadle was confirmed for Secret Invasion, though. Maybe Armor Wars will come after Ironheart?

Also surprisingly missing, considering how close it is: the 2022 Hallowe'en special (apparently Werewolf By Night).

26 minutes ago, Nick R said:

The Armor Wars TV series was previously announced, but absent from this year's news. Don Cheadle was confirmed for Secret Invasion, though. Maybe Armor Wars will come after Ironheart?

Also surprisingly missing, considering how close it is: the 2022 Hallowe'en special (apparently Werewolf By Night).

2024 doesn’t have any D+ announcements yet. All the 2023 shows are on the slate but after the end of next year it’s just movie dates. I’m guessing it will probably be their spring 2024 show. 

Was there anything mentioned about new Daredevil other than Charlie Cox? Still holding out hope for Jon Bernthal returning as Punisher. 

Would also like Jessica Jones, Colleen Wing and maybe Luke Cage to return too from the Netflix stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Was there anything mentioned about new Daredevil other than Charlie Cox? Still holding out hope for Jon Bernthal returning as Punisher. 

Would also like Jessica Jones, Colleen Wing and maybe Luke Cage to return too from the Netflix stuff. 

D'Onofrio is also back.

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

Pretty sure Krysten Ritter has been confirmed as returning as JJ in the MCU. Not sure on Mike Colter.

2 hours ago, FishyFish said:

So, Thunderbolts...Am I correct in thinking that...

Reveal hidden contents

they will be formed as part of the stuff Julia Louise Dreyfus has been doing in the MCU TV shows? Kinda a loose equivalent to DC's Suicide Squad?

Thats the best bet.

As for their 'nature'...

Spoiler

the Thunderbolts are traditionally anti heroes - bad guys doing good as an attempt to redeem themselves. They famously had a period where they were a malevolent force (under Norman Osborn they became his personal army for a while), but usually they're ultimately acting for good.

Suicide Squad but with subtle differences in the approach.

Thunderbolts:

Spoiler

So if I’ve followed the MCU’s villains properly, they’re going to do a team up series starring Iron Man but evil but good, Doctor Strange but evil but good, Hulk but evil but good, Captain America but evil but good, Black Panther but evil but good, Jarvis but evil but good, and almost all of them are dead?

It does explain why they hedged their bets by having Hela and Wanda disappear in a puff of light at the moment they should have died, they’ve got to rein in that antagonist body count somehow 

Spoiler

It’s more likely to be Zemo and the Aldi-brand versions of heroes they’ve been introducing who are getting hired by Elaine from Seinfeld. Knock-off Captain America played by Kurt Russell’s son. Black Widow’s sister. And whatever others they introduce.

12 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Genuinely can’t remember what the difference is supposed to be between Secret Wars, Secret Invasion, Armor Wars and Ironheart. 

Why would you know before watching them? 

Unless your a massive nerd like me whose read the relevant comics and stories their based on. 

Here’s a thought though maybe some kind of marketing or trailer will be released for them. 

Or we’ll see characters and the storylines gradually revealed over the next few years. 

just a thought. 

50 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm interested to know who will actually be in the 'full' Avengers films, as there are so many characters being introduced that are competing for a slot.

Yeah, they need to dial back the numbers like they did with Endgame

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Yeah, they need to dial back the numbers like they did with Endgame

It's hard to tell what is sarcasm or not when it's just words on a screen, but if you are being sarcastic then I don't see what you've said has to do with my post? 

Unless you are telling me that everybody in Endgame had a fully fleshed-out part, your post is irrelevant to my point, which I shall rephrase: I'm interested to see who will be in the core group that the film largely focuses on.

If you weren't being sarcastic, then yes, as I say above, there will be a central team that has the bulk of the dialogue and action and it will be interesting to see who makes that cut, especially as there will probably be further characters making their debut (on film or TV) before then.