MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

13 hours ago, Welrain said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57524423

Scarlett Johansson criticises Black Widow's 'hyper-sexualisation' in Iron Man 2

I always felt that having BW running around in cat-suit was unnecessary but some of the other bits she refers to I felt were fitting for the character..being sexy to attract Tony’s attention and in turn his response to that were in character albeit sexist.

Also there was the switcharoo where the sexy character actually turns out to be a superhero and not just there to satisfy the male gaze which was quite important at the time but pales in significance in hindsight (if not feeling positively archaic now in 2021).

Writers have been doing “she’s super sexy for the audience but she’s actually doing that to her advantage for the plot” as a way to have their cake and eat it for about as long as there have been motion pictures, it was kind of worn out 50 years before the movie was released.

It’s consistent with the character, but it’s a femme fatale archetype that kind of exists to give you a narrative justification for a bit of sexiness. Of course it’s consistent, she’s designed that way.

On 19/06/2021 at 20:54, Welrain said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57524423

Scarlett Johansson criticises Black Widow's 'hyper-sexualisation' in Iron Man 2

I always felt that having BW running around in cat-suit was unnecessary but some of the other bits she refers to I felt were fitting for the character..being sexy to attract Tony’s attention and in turn his response to that were in character albeit sexist.

Also there was the switcharoo where the sexy character actually turns out to be a superhero and not just there to satisfy the male gaze which was quite important at the time but pales in significance in hindsight (if not feeling positively archaic now in 2021).

Having watched the whole shebang again during lockdown, that scene struck me as incredibly leering and I agree with her completely. 

From the interview:

Really talked about like she’s a piece of something, like a possession or a thing or whatever — like a piece of ass, really. And Tony even refers to her as something like that at one point. What does he say?

"I want some.”

JOHANSSON: “I want some.” Yeah and at one point calls her a piece of meat and maybe at that time that actually felt like a compliment. You know what I mean?

Don't remember any "piece of meat" line in Iron Man 2, but the other line isn't "I want some" but "I want one". That's still possessive and objectifying (coming immediately after he's been viewing her modelling photos), but at least "I want one" implies that Tony thinks she's his perfect woman to have as his PA for reasons in addition to her beauty (her fighting skills, her fluency in languages), whereas "I want some" can only mean "I want to fuck her".

That not to play down that she was particularly objectified in that first movie. There's a gif of her showing off her costume in front of Favreau and a number of movie bloggers who were invited to the Iron Man 2 set, in which nearly everyone is ogling her butt:

https://tenor.com/view/scarlett-johansson-black-widow-gif-14811963

Devin Faraci (whose movie blogging career later came to an end because of his sexual harrassment) is the shorter guy at the back in that gif, and proudly posted about it when he saw it:

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2012/09/04/heres-a-gif-of-devin-checking-out-scarjos-ass-on-the-iron-man-2-set

• 2 weeks later...

I’m playing Lego Marvels 2 currently, and it has made me super fucking stoked for Ms Marvel.
She’s awesome fun to play (so many powers!), and after checking her out, I love that she’s another non white character for the universe. Really hope it’s gonna be good. 

She’s cool. 

5A5D6F9D-9530-4FFE-A395-7F8A8D8CF3C7.jpeg.f37583a032d2941bffe7007128c7f046.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gunn has said he did talk with Marvel and DC about a crossover movie. He doesn't expect anything to ever come of it, but he did talk to both sides and wasn't shot down.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Gunn has said he did talk with Marvel and DC about a crossover movie. He doesn't expect anything to ever come of it, but he did talk to both sides and wasn't shot down.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that does happen eventually. Both studios are going to need bigger events and gimmicks to sustain audience interest and profitability; sooner rather than later if cinema releases fail to return to the level of profitability expected by the major studios post pandemic. I expect both studios will try recasting and relaunching certain major characters first, though.

57 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

They're almost certainly going to use the multiverse schtick to recast Iron Man.

Hopefully not until long after the Ironheart and Armor Wars TV series. Give Riri and Rhodey time to shine on their own!

Also, hopefully the gap before he's recast will be longer than the five-year gap between Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man. (It's already been longer than the two-year gap between ASM2 and Civil War! :o)

1 hour ago, MansizeRooster said:

They're almost certainly going to use the multiverse schtick to recast Iron Man.

Christ, it's completely obvious now you've said that, but I hadn't considered that they're going to use the multiverse premise as an excuse to fucking reboot everything

2 minutes ago, PK said:

Christ, it's completely obvious now you've said that, but I hadn't considered that they're going to use the multiverse premise as an excuse to fucking reboot everything

Not unless they close it all by the end of it. I'd love them to have a little backbone and seal that path off.

13 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Not unless they close it all by the end of it. I'd love them to have a little backbone and seal that path off.

Not a chance, there's no stakes now. Everyone will be back, eventually. The new Avengers not working out? Tony Stark and Cap are back! Back! BACK!

In pog form.

2 hours ago, PK said:

image.thumb.jpeg.676cf71c9f3747c17022c7765d70587d.jpeg