MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

In what kind of way?

"And I think [Coogler] could see from the reaction on my face to some of the things he was saying, my face must have been going [shocked face] like that, because he kept sort of stopping, and he kept going, 'Stay with me, but this is going to work,'" the actor continued. "People are in for, I think, a real treat. I mean we've not done it yet, who knows, we might make it awful. But, I'm hoping we won't, I'm hoping people are going to be in for a treat."

• 2 weeks later...

On my recent rewatch of BP, I was struck by how the most advanced technological civilisation in the world still chooses its leader by who can punch the hardest... Seemed a bit... Hmmm... 

22 minutes ago, squirtle said:

On my recent rewatch of BP, I was struck by how the most advanced technological civilisation in the world still chooses its leader by who can punch the hardest... Seemed a bit... Hmmm... 

is that worse than our FPTP "democratic" election between two slates of incompetents?

1 hour ago, squirtle said:

I said that on here at the time (one of the reasons I really, really didn't like the film). In theory, it would just produce leaders who could beat up your dad, not anybody who needed to care for the citizens at all. It seemed rather out of place for such an advanced nation.

39 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I always read it more as a ceremonial thing, like the coronation should have been a shoo-in and they never ever actually expected anyone to show up and start swinging.

But it happens... Twice... 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I always read it more as a ceremonial thing, like the coronation should have been a shoo-in and they never ever actually expected anyone to show up and start swinging.

I don't remember much about it at all, but don't they mention how his father also undertook a trial by combat?

I’m not sure which is better, richest person wins; or the person with royal blood who punches the hardest?

Probably the latter actually,

more entertaining.

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

As a system, it certainly has its appeal. Our next monarch should be whoever can punch the Queen the hardest. 

I don't know how much damage Prince Charles's sausage fingers would do, it's as if he is already wearing a boxing glove.

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

I said that on here at the time (one of the reasons I really, really didn't like the film). In theory, it would just produce leaders who could beat up your dad, not anybody who needed to care for the citizens at all. It seemed rather out of place for such an advanced nation.

I said it at the time too, elsewhere, and got accused of being racist! It was a nigh untouchable film for criticism.

4 hours ago, Delargey said:

I don't know how much damage Prince Charles's sausage fingers would do, it's as if he is already wearing a boxing glove.

Why do you think they all do some service in the forces? It’s so if challenged by the likes of BoJo they know where the pain points are.

23 hours ago, squirtle said:

It also presents the CIA as a benevolent force for good which is pretty yikes.

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I didn't notice that. In what way?  Martin Whatshisface is affable and helps 'save the day', but he also fesses up to the CIA creating Kilmonger. 

Disney are generally all about establishment good except for a bad apple narrative. Not just MCU across their entire slate.

I was honestly surprised that they had an institutional racism is a thing scene in the police scene in FatWS.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Yeah I think this is a bit off the mark. I always had Martin Freeman down as someone who worked for the CIA and did something good rather than someone who did something good because he worked for the CIA. 

Again, I don't really remember the film, but Freeman's arc in the film is of doing the right thing rather than the institutional thing, isn't it? So to say it rah-rahing for the CIA seems an odd take.

On 28/05/2021 at 10:30, Gabe said:

I'd have said that BP is pretty up front about some aspects of Wakanda as it stands at the start of the film being not great, included being isolated and obsessed with secrecy and tradition. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57524423

Scarlett Johansson criticises Black Widow's 'hyper-sexualisation' in Iron Man 2

I always felt that having BW running around in cat-suit was unnecessary but some of the other bits she refers to I felt were fitting for the character..being sexy to attract Tony’s attention and in turn his response to that were in character albeit sexist.

Also there was the switcharoo where the sexy character actually turns out to be a superhero and not just there to satisfy the male gaze which was quite important at the time but pales in significance in hindsight (if not feeling positively archaic now in 2021).

I have got such an hard on for The Eternals!! :omg: 

Been brushing up on some Celestial knowledge after watching the first two episodes of Loki, and I’m proper excited for this one. Some good trailers/videos out explaining the links and the big family tree of humans and the other races etc. 

Can’t believe we’ve got films all the way up to 2023! I’m gonna be well old. Marvel is the best thing ever. Stan Lee was a genius.