MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

The bunch with Horatio Hornblower, Vic from the Shield and Captain America was pretty good I thought - Jessica Alba was probably the weakest casting choice there.

31 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

I just hope they get the casting right as it wasn’t great in the last couple of attempts.

At least their wig game was strong

43 minutes ago, Darwock said:

The bunch with Horatio Hornblower, Vic from the Shield and Captain America was pretty good I thought - Jessica Alba was probably the weakest casting choice there.

Yeah, Jessica Alba was a terrible choice and the decision to use a costume for the Thing was awful too.

4 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

Yeah, Jessica Alba was a terrible choice and the decision to use a costume for the Thing was awful too.

It was 2005, you were going to get a costume or The Scorpion King.

31 minutes ago, ravon said:

Ryan Reynolds wants the cast of always sunny to play fantastic 4 which would be hilarious..

I just thought about this for 30 seconds and it fits perfectly.  I want it now, or at the very least a pastiche episode in the next series.  Although in my head Dennis would be Reed Richards so it might make the romantic bits awkward.

My main memory of fantastic 4 was that the focus on the Thing's body dysmorphia and relationship break down was a bit of a downer.

On 04/05/2021 at 22:46, sid said:

Phase 4 sounds fucking shite

The enforced break will work in their favour as, post Endgame, people were going "how will' they follow this?" and the line-up looked pretty paltry, but now that there's been a drought the exact same line up has people excited again. 

Nearly at the end of our Marvel rewatch and while I've actually enjoyed most of the movies more than I did first time around, I found Black Panther a horrible, turgid, humourless slog of a movie. It's just so po-faced (especially coming after Homecoming and Ragnarok) and for some reason it's structured like a videogame boss battle where everything has to happen multiple times. Trial by combat: twice. Ruler consumes herbs and has a vision: three times. Cool section involving a remotely-piloted vehicle? Yep, you're going to be seeing that again. I get that films need foreshadowing but it seems there's a fine line between that, and simply ending up with a movie where the second half has all the same stuff you've already seen in the first half. Bilbo Baggins is horribly miscast as a CIA agent, half the movie seems to be set in one extremely dark room in Oakland, and even the big battle at the end was basically a few people having some fisticuffs in a field. Such a disappointment.

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Nearly at the end of our Marvel rewatch and while I've actually enjoyed most of the movies more than I did first time around, I found Black Panther a horrible, turgid, humourless slog of a movie. It's just so po-faced (especially coming after Homecoming and Ragnarok) and for some reason it's structured like a videogame boss battle where everything has to happen multiple times. Trial by combat: twice. Ruler consumes herbs and has a vision: three times. Cool section involving a remotely-piloted vehicle? Yep, you're going to be seeing that again. I get that films need foreshadowing but it seems there's a fine line between that, and simply ending up with a movie where the second half has all the same stuff you've already seen in the first half. Bilbo Baggins is horribly miscast as a CIA agent, half the movie seems to be set in one extremely dark room in Oakland, and even the big battle at the end was basically a few people having some fisticuffs in a field. Such a disappointment.

I'm not convinced Ryan Coogler has the skill to do a  blockbuster that can deliver good action sequences and a decent story.

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yeah but THEMES. Black Panther is one of the only MCU films that's actually about something other than weirdly misjudged politics that don't actually say anything, and it manages to its themes into its main character and have them and the villain go on their own arc. It's not the best punching in the series but for me it's probably the best single character MCU film alongside Homecoming because they're actually about something. The villain has understandable aims and by the end of the movie I was kind of on his side! I liked the repeating scenes. We get to see how different Killmonger and T'Challa are by mirroring their experiences but not the outcomes of said experiences. 

There isn't a better shot in the MCU than the kids looking up at the Wakandan ship at the end of Black Panther. It manages to not only sum up everything the film has just said but also reaches out into the audience and says "look, you are these black kids. You've not had this kind of film before and this is for you!"  It's a monumental achievement in super hero cinema and I think it's going to shape the future of who makes these films and their themes as much as Iron Man did in 2008.

Also the sound track is amazing.

50 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Yeah but THEMES. Black Panther is one of the only MCU films that's actually about something other than weirdly misjudged politics that don't actually say anything, and it manages to its themes into its main character and have them and the villain go on their own arc. It's not the best punching in the series but for me it's probably the best single character MCU film alongside Homecoming because they're actually about something. The villain has understandable aims and by the end of the movie I was kind of on his side! I liked the repeating scenes. We get to see how different Killmonger and T'Challa are by mirroring their experiences but not the outcomes of said experiences. 

There isn't a better shot in the MCU than the kids looking up at the Wakandan ship at the end of Black Panther. It manages to not only sum up everything the film has just said but also reaches out into the audience and says "look, you are these black kids. You've not had this kind of film before and this is for you!"  It's a monumental achievement in super hero cinema and I think it's going to shape the future of who makes these films and their themes as much as Iron Man did in 2008.

Also the sound track is amazing.

The film suffered from some of the worst effects in a Marvel film.  The big fight in a field and the monorail fight are just crap.  A real shame when the two fights for the crown fights are good.  And the bar fight.

The next one hopefully won't suffer from being sandwiched between two Avengers films.

On 09/05/2021 at 17:25, BitterToad said:

There isn't a better shot in the MCU than the kids looking up at the Wakandan ship at the end of Black Panther. It manages to not only sum up everything the film has just said but also reaches out into the audience and says "look, you are these black kids. You've not had this kind of film before and this is for you!"  

And then All The Stars comes on and it's fucking amazing