rllmuk
Pob

MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

:quote:There's a perfectly good ranking thread sitting right here:

I still don't get why so many people here so dislike Iron Man 3. I didn't think we had that many people posting here who are so attached to a racist oriental caricature. ;)

... Don't worry, I do understand that people's complaints about the film are a bit more nuanced than "They changed the bad guy from the comics, now it sucks!" I understand the criticism that who the Mandarin appeared to be at first was more interesting than the threat that replaced him (and yeah it would have been better if Rebecca Hall's Maya Hansen had stayed alive to turn out to be the one pulling the strings). I understand that even for those who aren't precious about preserving the comics' Mandarin, a fight between Iron Man and magic rings might have been more interesting than the actual final battle. I can even understand the criticism that there's not very much Iron Man in this Iron Man movie.

But for me all those problems are fairly minor when compared to the film's best moments: the Mandarin Reveal, "'cause we're connected" and the goon who hates working for these weird guys are up there with "Puny god", Vision lifting Mjolnir, and The Star-Spangled Man as some of the very best things in the MCU so far.

Maustallica on Twitter, in his recent MCU rewatch, gave the film what I think is a fair appraisal of its strengths and problems:

Text version of that thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/979494616306155520.html?refreshed=yes

Thor: The Dark World I found really entertaining on first viewing, and it has amusing moments that aren't far off the IM3 ones I listed above: the Loki-as-Cap cameo, Darcy saying "Myuh-Myuh!", Thor on the Tube and the Gherkin, the reveal of Loki's trashed prison cell, a really fun portal/anti-gravity themed action climax. But unlike Iron Man 3 there's not much else to it beyond those moments, and Malekeith is easily the worst villain in the series so far. My instinct has always been to rank it slightly above the first Thor, but I suspect that if I were to rewatch either of them, they'd swap places.

Even the Cinematic Universe podcast found so little to say about it, they spent (only a very slight exaggeration) half their recent episode on the film debating its inaccurate Tube geography:

http://www.cinematicuniverse.com/podcast/episode-71-thor-dark-world-2013/

It's still better than The Incredible Hulk though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hulk gets utterly trashed in these threads but I really like it.

It may have something to do with my daughter being 3-4 at the time and loving "Hunk".  But no, I think it's a decent Hulk film with some proper rage moments and good fun stuff like car boxing gloves.

Yeah, pretty good. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, danbot said:

with some proper rage moments and good fun stuff like car boxing gloves

I love how those also ended up in the excellent Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game! 

I would love another Hulk: UT but I would also love for Marvel, ignoring the licensing issues for a moment, to take another stab at a solo Hulk movie. People always assume that making an entertaining solo Hulk is difficult, if not impossible, and point to the Norton smash as proof. But that movie was made alongside the first Iron Man before the Marvel movies established their successful house style. So we really don't know how good or bad a proper Marvel Studios solo Hulk movie could turn out. We're talking about the same studio that managed to make a huge hit out of characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther - beforehand everyone would consider those very unlikely names to make into decent movies and now they're household names. Even Captain America and Thor were considered b-characters not worth bothering with way back when. So we don't know what a Marvel Studios Hulk movie would be like since arguably they haven't made a Marvel Studios style Hulk movie yet. And there are a whole lot of fantastic Hulk comic book stories and even more different takes on the character for them to cherry pick from.

Fwiw I also enjoyed the Norton Hulk movie, but I'm also a big fan of the character to begin with. For me, the only really bad MCU movie so far is Iron Man 2 - it's the only one I got zero enjoyment out of and the only one I can't sit through again. Even Thor 2 had its moments.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, danbot said:

Hulk gets utterly trashed in these threads but I really like it.

It may have something to do with my daughter being 3-4 at the time and loving "Hunk".  But no, I think it's a decent Hulk film with some proper rage moments and good fun stuff like car boxing gloves.

Yeah, pretty good. 

I liked the Norton Hulk but looking back there's no way he'd have worked in the Avengers. He was a right diva on set and they were constantly rewriting scenes; Norton wanted a very serious version of the hulk and it would have been a bad fit. On it's own merits though, I loved the film - the bottle plant scene was superb. 

Are there no plans for a Mark Ruffalo Hulk film at all then?

Good Hulk series are few and far between, but I loved Planet Hulk and as much as I enjoyed Thor Ragnorak, it was a real shame that they relegated Planet Hulk essentially to a minor subplot/bit of window dressing for that film because if you were going to do a Hulk film that would be the one. I guess now it is off the cards unless they start filling in back story with prequel films, which I assume is unlikely.

7 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Are there no plans for a Mark Ruffalo Hulk film at all then?

It's up to Universal to make a solo movie. Marvel can only use him in team movies. I know it's weird.

20 hours ago, Stevedave said:

That would be poor casting. Mysterio needs someone with a bit of character not an actor that bland. 

Watch Nightcrawler and you'll change your mind. He blew me away in that film and I had a very low opinion of him previously. I think he'll make a great Marvel villain.

• Upvote 3

Seen him in a few things now he just seems like the 'shit we can't get our first or second choice' guy directors go to. I'd bet my life a few people turned down the role already. 

• Downvote 5

I can't say there's many Gyllenhaal performances I've not enjoyed. Over the last few years I've seen him in Donnie Darko, Nightcrawler, Nocturnal Animals, Prisoners, Zodiac & End of Watch. He's great in all of these.

• Upvote 5

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:01, Stevedave said:

I liked the Norton Hulk but looking back there's no way he'd have worked in the Avengers. He was a right diva on set and they were constantly rewriting scenes; Norton wanted a very serious version of the hulk and it would have been a bad fit. On it's own merits though, I loved the film - the bottle plant scene was superb. 

Yeah it turned out the producers didnt like him when he was angry.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, mindgames said:

Like what?

Southpaw, Prince of Persia, Rendition, Brothers. 

He's probably good in films drenched in seriousness (period drama stuff) but that's because he's bland. We know those type of actors tend not to work in these hero/villain roles as you need some character - Downey jr, Ruffalo, Hemsworth, Brolin, Pratt, Keaton, Nicholson, etc.. They have personality. 

10 hours ago, Stevedave said:

Southpaw, Prince of Persia, Rendition, Brothers. 

He's probably good in films drenched in seriousness (period drama stuff) but that's because he's bland. We know those type of actors tend not to work in these hero/villain roles as you need some character - Downey jr, Ruffalo, Hemsworth, Brolin, Pratt, Keaton, Nicholson, etc.. They have personality. 

Only seen Southpaw but he's great in that. Watch the films in Stigweard's post above. There's no doubt he will have been Marvel's first choice for this. Just don't watch Okja.. 

• Upvote 1

I've given up reacting to casting news. So many times my gut is wrong (e.g. Heath Ledger, Chris Evans etc) that I don't trust it anymore.

These people have made one of the most successful film franchises/universes ever- I trust them to pick well. Have any of their "curveballs" really not worked out? (Even the bad films, e.g. Maliketh, are because of writing not acting)

There's talk that they're getting Guy Ritchie in to do a Captain Britain film.

I don't know the character so well, and kind of assumed he was a shit knock-off of Captain America, but apparently Alan Moore did a very well thought of run with the character.

12 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

There's talk that they're getting Guy Ritchie in to do a Captain Britain film.

I don't know the character so well, and kind of assumed he was a shit knock-off of Captain America, but apparently Alan Moore did a very well thought of run with the character.

They could also use the film as a sneaky way to get the X Men into the MCU, as both Psylocke and Nightcrawler are part of Captain Britain's Excalibur team.