MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

On 26/11/2020 at 08:45, Super Craig said:

Someone on ResetEra suggested that they might be doing a Spider-verse x Sinister Six thing, where 2 villains from each live-action series make up the six.

That sounds interesting, I wonder who it would be? 

On 28/11/2020 at 17:53, And said:

They can timey winery hand wave it and have whoever they want. Sandman was shite. Goblin was awesome. So Goblin and Doc would be great. 

they very much need Keaton back though

Keaton appearing in two different comic movie multiverses at the same time would be cool.

25 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I mean, they're basically trying to live-action remake Spiderverse in concept. Utterly bereft of ideas.

But Into the Spider-Verse took its name and team-up concept from the Spider-Verse comic, which in turn built upon the Spider-Men 616 Peter/Ultimate Comics Miles crossover... and you can follow the trail of inspiration all the way back to "Flash of Two Worlds" in 1961.

You can always find precedents for the basic ideas. Personally I care less about originality of concepts than I do about quality of execution!

Also it sounds like this time, the villains will be brought together from all over the multiverse, instead of the heroes. So maybe it will owe as much to the proposed Sinister Six movie as it does to Into the Spider-Verse...?

4 minutes ago, Nick R said:

But Into the Spider-Verse took its name and team-up concept from the Spider-Verse comic, which in turn built upon the Spider-Men 616 Peter/Ultimate Comics Miles crossover... and you can follow the trail of inspiration all the way back to "Flash of Two Worlds" in 1961.

You can always find precedents for the basic ideas. Personally I care less about originality of concepts than I do about quality of execution!

Also it sounds like this time, the villains will be brought together from all over the multiverse, instead of the heroes. So maybe it will owe as much to the proposed Sinister Six movie as it does to Into the Spider-Verse...?

Maybe, but I didn't really like Spiderman: Homecoming or Spiderman: Filler From home so my confidence isn't all that high.

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

Maybe, but I didn't really like Spiderman: Homecoming or Spiderman: Filler From home so my confidence isn't all that high.

Hopefully they can move on from Peter is an idiot and needs a father figure/mentor.

I bloody love Spider-Man. He was always my favourite comics character because I got into comics with the release of Ultimate Spider-Man, when I was the same age as Pete and it's always cool to share an age and problems with the people you're reading about. Outside of all of the Avengers movies and the MCU, Spider-Man works as a character because the stories they tell about him tend to be personal.  Spider-verse was a fantastic success not because of all of the whacky looping dimensions stuff going on but because at its core it told a fucking brilliant story about Miles Morales getting to grips with his powers and what makes him a super hero.

It's why the first two Raimi movies (sorry Broker) are so brilliant, they tell personal Spider-Man stories in which he learns about responsibility. Homecoming did similar, yeah there was a lot of Tony Stark in there but I thought that tied in well with Pete's lack of a father figure having lost two before. Everything was set up so well for Far From Home to be a movie about Pete losing yet another father figure and being taken in by Mysterio but it just dropped the ball and was a sort of mini sequel to Endgame and ignored what made Spider-Man great. That personal touch. 

As for Spider-Man 3 2, it sounds like they're just throwing absolutely everything at it to try and outdo Spider-Verse. I hope I'm wrong but I want another story about Tom Holland's Peter Parker being Spider-Man, I don't care about all of the bells and whistles around it.