MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

31 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

They do have the rights to X-Men and FF. We're 100% getting them in the next several years.

Shit that’s true. We’re actually getting the A Tier characters in the next phase.

28 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

You think? I can agree to Thor maybe, but Iron Man and Captain America were definitely A tier in the comics alongside Spider-Man and X-Men pre MCU. 

Avengers maybe, but as a team. Cap is the only one who was any kind of draw.

It’s hard to get figures now, and obviously it’s distorted by comics sold off the back of the MCU in all the lists of best selling comics. When I worked at a comic shop, Spider-Man and X-Men were always the big sellers, then Hulk and Daredevil, then Avengers and FF, then solo X-Men stories that weren’t Wolverine, then solo Avengers and FF stuff. 

When they launched the Ultimate line they lead with Spidey, X-Men were second, then Avengers. Avengers was WAY more of a departure from their regular depiction than the other two, which were basically modernisations. It gets pretty muddy after the X-Men and Spidey movies were hits though, because that’s the point where I guess they started planning the MCU and started more heavily promoting the characters they owned all the rights to.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Broker said:

Anyone else finding it harder to feel excited about future MCU stuff? Between the satisfying ending to that saga, the delays, the only close movie being a prequel and the prospect of a lot of the next phase being linked into TV shows which will take more time to watch I can’t imagine absorbing the next saga as completely and voraciously as I did the infinity saga. Maybe I’ll feel different when they kick the hype machine into gear. 

I agree that even before the pandemic delays, the post-Endgame MCU seemed less urgent and exciting than when it had things to build towards (first to Avengers, and then to the Infinity Stones and Thanos).

But even though there's no overarching story yet, I'm really looking forward to some of the individual things:

Wandavision looks very promising

Sam Raimi's doing the Doctor Strange sequel

Taika Waititi is doing another Thor film with Jane!Thor

What If? will give us the MCU's first animated series

I struggle to get excited about Eternals, though!

• Upvote 2

They're in between story arcs, so it's entirely normal for there to not be a strong sense of excitement just now. We don't have any cliffhangers that urgently need resolving.

P.S. I watched Endgame a couple of nights ago, and the hint at Wakanda vs Atlantis made me feel really down. I wanted to see Black Panther Vs Namor :-(

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

You think? I can agree to Thor maybe, but Iron Man and Captain America were definitely A tier in the comics alongside Spider-Man and X-Men pre MCU. 

Nah, the only Marvel comics that have ever sold well are Spider-man and X-Men related ones, heck back in the 90s Marvel gave away Iron Man, Cap America and the Fantastic 4 to some guys from Image comics to help revive sale - this failed miserably too.

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Wandavision looks very promising

Sam Raimi's doing the Doctor Strange sequel

Taika Waititi is doing another Thor film with Jane!Thor

What If? will give us the MCU's first animated series

What If? also has Chadwick Boseman’s final performance, which is bittersweet but a definite watch. The comics are pretty much the most uneven things Marvel have ever published though, and really suffer from shit filler and good issues feeling rushed and under explored. 

I’ll be Watching WandaVision and Thor 4: More Thor, so I guess we’ll see how they land and how they build hype. I’m really hoping Kant isn’t the next big bad though, another cosmic threat might feel a bit repetitive, was really hoping for Norman Osborne as the next big bad. Can’t get excited about Raimi either, I like most of his movies but his Spider-Man movies are some of my least favourite marvel adaptations.

9 minutes ago, Broker said:

What If? also has Chadwick Boseman’s final performance, which is bittersweet but a definite watch.

I didn't know that his lines had already been recorded.

9 minutes ago, Broker said:

Thecomics are pretty much the most uneven things Marvel have ever published though, and really suffer from shit filler and good issues feeling rushed and under explored. 

I think I've only ever read a couple of them, both involving love interests' deaths: "What if Gwen Stacy had lived?" (I remember that one being good!) and "What if Elektra had lived?" (which I don't remember anywhere near as well as Miller's main Daredevil run). 

What If? Rogue had the power of Thor is a favourite of mine, she accidentally absorbs his powers then becomes Thor and has to grapple with what that means and having his memories, but in the end Odin accepts her and they become super close. 

Also the Mayday version of Spider-Girl is from an issue covering what would have happened if Mary-Jane’s baby had lived, which is great and lead to her appearing in other crossovers later.

3 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Naturally my fave What If...?

507F84C0-A3CA-4146-A628-511E6D76FB87.thumb.jpeg.68d7d7c1875eda6726dab67ac8d31d21.jpeg

A lot of the Marvel UK stuff was guff, that I adore and love because I was there for it at the right time. Overkill was an amazing comic for those of us who didn't have a comic shop on their doorstep.

And you know what would be a good TV series ...Warheads. Like Stargate but with cynicism and characters dying all over the place. Get it made, you cowards!!!

• Upvote 1

Looks like they just resumed filming this week in Prague, so it could still appear before the end of the year.

That said, it was meant to debut after Black Widow, so depending on whether this ties into that film, today’s rumours in Variety of Black Widow being pushed back again past November may also have a knock on effect on this series. 

11 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

Looks like they just resumed filming this week in Prague, so it could still appear before the end of the year.

That said, it was meant to debut after Black Widow, so depending on whether this ties into that film, today’s rumours in Variety of Black Widow being pushed back again past November may also have a knock on effect on this series. 

Interesting that isn't it. You'd have thought that this film is a stand alone prequel but the fact the other shows are being pushed back due to BW being delayed makes you think there's something else happening here that they're keeping under wraps.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

Interesting that isn't it. You'd have thought that this film is a stand alone prequel but the fact the other shows are being pushed back due to BW being delayed makes you think there's something else happening here that they're keeping under wraps.

TBH I would be astonished if the Black Widow movie didn’t contain at least one big retcon revelation/shake up that reframes what we thought we knew.

The fact that it’s quite deliberately set between films we’ve already seen, rather than, say, the relatively untouched early 2000’s, suggests that there’s something more to it for sure. 

I’m guessing it’s going to be something along the lines of the Winter Soldier’s murderous reveal in Civil War. 

• Upvote 3

Count me in as another who hasn't missed the break at all. I think a combination of what we've experienced being so unique, enjoying the characters we had (yes, even Hawkeye) and being far less enthused about those to come means I'm quite happy to draw a line under it for a while. Black Widow doesn't interest me anyway, so I guess my break will be even longer than for most. I'm okay with that.

• Upvote 2