rllmuk
Pob

MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

I like the timing of this news: one day after it was reported that Sony is planning a Madame Web Spider-Man spin-off movie.

Of course this isn't how it happened, but because of that timing, it comes across as if that was the moment Sony realised that their Spider-spin-offs are in danger of scraping the bottom of the barrel, and that's what prompted them to see sense and cave in to Disney!

1 hour ago, Mr Ben said:

Spidey in Venom 2 I reckon.

Team up to take down Carnage. Venom put the 'spider' on his chest in recognition of Spidey?

I'm pretty sure the bigwigs at Sony wouldn't have taken a great deal of notice as to what Holland says (though it makes for a nice headline). Money will be the only reason this got worked out, not an actor pulling sad face.

Doea this mean he'll complete his transition to Iron Man no. 2 now? I hope not. 

• Upvote 2

Lets just let him be spider-man, instead of trying to turn him into the new Iron Man.

Iron man dying was the best thing that could have happened to Spider-man.

• Upvote 1

I meant for the future, he can shake off all the iron man shit. 

I know i may be in the minority, but i dont like the father/son crap thats been shoehorned in. 

#neverforgetuncleben

• Upvote 4

Rumours from an apparently credible source that Disney want to throw $4-5 billion at Sony to buy back Spider-Man. No idea if they would go for that though. 

• Upvote 1

Sony would probably look at that kind of figure and say that that is potentially the kind of return they'd expect from, ooh... Maybe 4, 5 years of movies if they knock out a few spin offs with lower expectations and a mainline film or 2 underperform.

They'll say no.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Sony would probably look at that kind of figure and say that that is potentially the kind of return they'd expect from, ooh... Maybe 4, 5 years of movies if they knock out a few spin offs with lower expectations and a mainline film or 2 underperform.

They'll say no.

I'm not so sure it would be such a simple decision - remember box office is a long way from profit.  For most of the world you might only get around 50% of the ticket revenue, reudcing to 25% for China grosses.  Then you have production and any backend deals to consider before the final numbers. 

Estimates put Homecoming at $200m profit - https://deadline.com/2018/03/spider-man-homecoming-box-office-profit-2017-1202350621/ - which seems realistic.  Venom was probably similar (it grossed less but had a lower production budget) and I imagine Far From Home will be a bit above those profit numbers. Chuck in Spiderverse and you might, probably not quite, but might get to around $800m profit from those 4 films. And remember, it has been a good period for Spiderman films, if you head back to the ASM period the total profit over that period will be much lower. 

But let's say that the current success does continue, we're effectively saying Sony can project around $800m profit every 2-3 years if they keep up the current release schedule (again, health warning, between Spiderman 3 and Homecoming - 10 years - they only released 2 films, both of which were not that profitable. So at the current success and schedule it will take Sony around 15 years to earn the $5bn that Disney might be offering.  If Spiderman films get more popular then it will take less time, but if we revert back to ASM levels of releases and profits it will take much longer. And, of course, if they take $5bn now that's not to say that that the revenue they might have generated from future SM films will be gone - you would assume Sony will schedule in other films to fill their release schedule which would likely generate some profits for the Studio.

The rumour is probably BS but it would not be a clear cut no from Sony imo. Indeed, if it was a true offer I'd rather suspect it would be accepted by Sony looking at the above numbers. Frankly, I'd be more surprised at Disney offering such a number than Sony accepting such a number.

• Upvote 2

What is the state of Sony Corporation's finances at the moment? Remember how they sold a ton of assets 5 or so years ago?

A couple of years in the red again and for $4/5 billion and Spider-man is Disney's.

1 hour ago, mansizerooster said:

Disney bought the entirety of Marvel Entertainment for $4.24 billion, so paying that for a single character that they already have the use of is quite clearly just silly fanboy nonsense.

Im not sure but I THINK the value may have gone up a bit in the last decade. 

Maybe.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

That will soon come down in price though. 

I’m not sure, it’s meant to be a limited run item, like the phase one Blu Ray suitcase set. There are plenty of other options for individual 4K purchases and box sets, plus Disney+ will have all of these films too. This is purely a hardcore collectors piece.

Apparently that set is Best Buy exclusive. At least in the US. I don’t know if it is being released internationally or, if so, if it’s exclusive to another retailer. 

On 10/10/2019 at 11:26, JohnC said:

Rumours from an apparently credible source that Disney want to throw $4-5 billion at Sony to buy back Spider-Man. No idea if they would go for that though. 

Its Mike Sutton so its garbage and highly unreliable.

Bleeding Cool (I know...) recently reported some gossip that the Spider-Man dispute was largely down to Alan Horn (whom you might remember for firing James Gunn) misunderstanding the character's rights situation:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/29/gossip-so-what-did-happen-with-marvel-and-sony-over-spider-man-anyway/

So, when Disney demanded a greater percentage of revenue, a 50/50 deal, for the Marvel Studios Spider-Man films. Sony balked, pulled the deal and everything went south. Until a few days when it all got sorted out.

But what really happened?

I’m told the Disney gossip is that Disney’s Alan Horn had got the situation with the rights all backwards, in his head. That he somehow thought that Disney was licensing Spider-Man to Sony to use, and not that Sony held the rights. And so, when Sony didn’t agree to the demanded new deal, Horn told them that Disney wouldn’t allow them to use Spider-Man anymore, totally ignorant to the rights situation. And Sony said ‘fine’.

Cue the involvement of Kevin Feige, who did know the score, and was brought in to negotiate directly with Sony instead of Horn, and sort everything out…  the word is that Disney now receive 25 percent of the profits from Spider-Man 3, but they also have to pay a similar percentage of the production costs – and Sony can also use Spider-Man to some degree in their other non-Spider-Man movies, such as Venom, Morbius, Silver Sable, Black Cat, Madame Web, whatever they are going for…

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2019 at 07:16, Super Craig said:

Hopefully this means that the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-man and Doctor Strange 4K discs are on the way.

They're almost certainly on the way, as I spunked money on the US releases this week. Amazon were doing buy two, get a third item free. 

On 10/10/2019 at 12:04, Chindie said:

They'll say no.

Absolutely not. Thats not how it works.

You make a film for $200m. If you front that all yourself ( a huge risk) you have to spend another $100m marketing it (at least)

It does $1bn at box office, of which around half comes back to you. And so you break even. You then likely make around $100m profit from Vod, Svod and blu ray deals after expenses. Maybe double that. 

The reality is that if you make a $200m dollar movie that sees $1.3bn revenue, you likely double your money. But if its a flop you all lose.

A $4bn offer from Disney would be absolutely jumped upon in a second. 

I dont know where these stories come from but they are ludicrous.

• Upvote 3