MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

16 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

My son and I have been watching through the MCU from the start in recent weeks in the hope of getting through everything before Endgame completely disappears from the big screen. It's looking like Monday night may well be the last showing at the nearest decent cinema.

We've just finished Homecoming and have Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther and Infinity War lined up and ready to go. If we get through those this weekend, will we miss anything important we need to know going into Endgame if we skip Ant-Man and the Wasp & Captain Marvel until after we've seen it?

We did the same to see Endgame at the cinema and couldn’t watch Captain Marvel as missed cinema and not out on disc etc, having seen it after Endgame we didn’t miss much by being out of order. Ant-man and the Wasp I’d say is the one I would watch before if you can - I really like it as a film and while not essential it defi adds something to the story!

9 hours ago, Hexx said:

Can I suggest a title change to no Endgame or Far From Home spoilers?

I'd suggest changing from no Endgame spoilers to no Far From Home spoilers. Endgame has been out so long by now and seen by so many, that at this point having a thread discussing the future of the MCU without taking Endgame into account is just silly and useless.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Apparently Paltrow didn't realise she was in Homecoming. With everything being so interconnected, she thought she was filming for one of the Avengers.

Or she didn't give a shit - which is fair enough.

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Apparently Paltrow didn't realise she was in Homecoming. With everything being so interconnected, she thought she was filming for one of the Avengers.

To be fair she was in the Avengers base, doing a press conference with Iron Man, about to welcome a new member to the Avengers. 

16 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'd suggest changing from no Endgame spoilers to no Far From Home spoilers. Endgame has been out so long by now and seen by so many, that at this point having a thread discussing the future of the MCU without taking Endgame into account is just silly and useless.

Or we could just wait until it's had home release before we get tired of discretion and spoiler tags.

19 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Or we could just wait until it's had home release before we get tired of discretion and spoiler tags.

I'd say anyone who still hasn't watched it, isn't that interested in the future of the MCU by definition ;)

18 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'd say anyone who still hasn't watched it, isn't that interested in the future of the MCU by definition ;)

That fact that I can't see Far from Home until the end of July was playing on my mind.  I could just take a day off like I did for Endgame. :doh:

6 hours ago, Haribokart said:

They are not going to announce it before the final phase 3 film is even in the cinema.

Which is now! The last box sets were already announced during the time of the other Avengers releases (even prior to them I believe?), you'd had thought they would already hint at something even if it's in a "TBA" status for the contents. We knew Far From Home was going to be the last for Phase 3, they could at least said something by this moment.

I'm still amazed that Disney get to include the Sony Spiderman films as part of the Phase box sets.  Can't be too long until Disney just drive a truck of cash towards Sony and buy Spiderman back. 

9 hours ago, McCoy said:

I'm still amazed that Disney get to include the Sony Spiderman films as part of the Phase box sets.  Can't be too long until Disney just drive a truck of cash towards Sony and buy Spiderman back. 

It would need to be a helicarrier full of cash, given how much Sony are making from the character and his supporting cast, away from the MCU. 

28 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

It would need to be a helicarrier full of cash, given how much Sony are making from the character and his supporting cast, away from the MCU. 

Not much, I'm pretty sure Disney own the merchandising rights of all things that are non-movie Spider-man.

Villains are needed. We are definitely going to need the iconic likes of Doom, Apocalypse, Galactus, Strange to give us some proper meaty storylines and better antagonists.

Other than that, I don't know. I feel we need the X-Men quite badly, as their powers are infinitely more interesting and varied than those of the core Avengers. Which leads to more diverse stories (which I think they've been trialling with Spidey, to be honest). 

I hope they don't go down the route of bigger peril (or at least, not immediately.) I think they need to give their remaining and/or new Avengers some time to settle in.

We don't really know anything about most of the remaining people. Falcon and Bucky and just soldiers, with no lives or personality. I'm sure the Disney+ series aims to look at that, they don't have a lot going on. And the other expansionary stuff we already know are dead-ends - a Black Widow movie now she's dead (maybe they'll find a way to have another one from the programme alive and likable and bring the name back, maybe that would be awful), WandaVision prequel series, and what else?

And they've killed pretty much everyone we actually knew and liked. Thor and the Guardians have a pretty decent setup that more or less writes itself at this point (go find Gamora, presumably.) Spidey has some good threads to build on. But who else? Captain Marvel has nothing going on as yet, no-one likes Hawkeye, etc.

I think they need to give everyone (and the Earth) a little breather. One of the few weaknesses, it seems to me,  with the state of the MCU today is that in building up to Infinity War/Endgame, the characters themselves have been a little too subsumed into their office work. If they start straight with Galactus or something, no-one gets anything to build on or have stakes in.

I cant be the only one feeling disappointed that we wont get to see the likes of Wolverine vs Hulk due to how the latter turned out in Endgame, surely? I feel that's the major upset now going forward, unless they make him a villain at some point in the future.

22 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

I cant be the only one feeling disappointed that we wont get to see the likes of Wolverine vs Hulk due to how the latter turned out in Endgame, surely? I feel that's the major upset now going forward, unless they make him a villain at some point in the future.

I’m sure they can have him “hulk out” again and go on a rampage if they need to.

Maybe trying to switch some HDMI cables round the back of his TV or something. Or assembling an ikea flat pack.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I’m sure they can have him “hulk out” again and go on a rampage if they need to.

Maybe trying to switch some HDMI cables round the back of his TV or something. Or assembling an ikea flat pack.

It could happen, now Tony's not around to help his teammates...

CWahR6M.png

rtMR1VB.png

• 2 weeks later...

So here it is, the official phase 4 programme. 5 confirmed TV shows, 5 films and whatever Blade ends up being. 

IMG_20190721_073839.thumb.jpg.f05e9645855bb54d043a3f183a22a813.jpg

Some films deal directly with what happens in the TV shows (i.e. Dr.Strange 2 deals with the events of WanderVision).

Cant say I'm into about all these TV shows being integral to the overall MCU story, but I'll still watch them. At least they're only 6 episodes long. I hope theh get physical releases cause I need to keep my MCU collection right.

I could see some more films getting added to phase 4 though next year. Possibly seeing it out with GOTG3, Spider-man 3 and Fantastic Four.