MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

On 02/05/2019 at 09:59, monkeydog said:

Interestingly, the Russo's are saying an LGBTQ MCU superhero is happening, but will let Marvel announce that one.  Would be doubly excellent if The Rock ends up as the MCU's first gay lead.

There was a rumour that they might do Hercules as gay in the Eternals film. I await the faux uproar.

It's interesting that Marvel seem to be pointedly looking to touch various diversity touchstones - I think they saw the potential after Black Panther became a phenomenon that not only was being diverse the right thing to do, it was profitable as well. Shang-chi is already getting spoken about as a potential East Asian Black Panther.

On 30/04/2019 at 13:33, McCoy said:

We've got the following untitled MCU films to look forward to next year: May 1, 2020, July 31, 2020, and November 6, 2020.

There's speculation what each of them are but nothing confirmed.  Imagine we will get more info soon. 

Eternals, Shang-chi, Dr Strange 2... I'm not totally sold on the Black Widow film being a thing.

14 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I reckon FF before Xmen. I'd hold out on Xmen for a whole. Have a gap between the current lot and the next.

Yeah, I'd prefer they incorporate the Fantastic Four into the MCU before the X-Men. Partly because we've already had good live-action X-Men (and Logan and Deadpool) movies, but never a good live-action FF.

(Admittedly I say that based purely on critical consensus, as I've never seen Rise of the Silver Surfer, Fant4stic, or the Roger Corman one for myself.)

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Yeah, I'd prefer they incorporate the Fantastic Four into the MCU before the X-Men. Partly because we've already had good live-action X-Men (and Logan and Deadpool) movies, but never a good live-action FF.

(Admittedly I say that based purely on critical consensus, as I've never seen Rise of the Silver Surfer, Fant4stic, or the Roger Corman one for myself.)

No, you're right in your assumption. They're all shite. 

On 06/05/2019 at 16:49, deKay said:

Wrong thread but when I search the forum for “ant-man” it takes it down.

So I just watched Ant-Man (obviously). It was bloody great! What are those who said it was crap on about. Giant Thomas the Tank Engine!

Also, poor Antony :(

We watched Ant-Man last night and loved it, part of our catchup before we hopefully see Endgame (assuming it’s still on bank hol mon when we will have fully caught up)

Have enjoyed reading this thread esp the mini reviews and been surprised how many of the MCU films I’ve really liked, I’d not seen GOTG before but it’s possibly my fave thus far!

In all seriousness, they’re making a big deal of Far From Home being the phase 4 finale because it’s going to splinter the cast across the multiverse right? Gives us those spin-offs in other realities, gives the creative staff a break in terms of continuity, gives a consistent theme of people figuring out who they are and trying to get back to people they miss after phase 2-3 being full of team-ups.

Then after 3-5 years of that they can reunify the multiverse in a way that brings the X-Men and Fantastic 4 back in to the prime continuity with some plot device to make whatever changes are necessary.

Whatever they choose to do, however long all the other Fox stuff takes to integrate, just bring in Dr. Doom asap and I'm happy.

Can you imagine Dr. Doom finally done right on the big screen?

But I also think that on the one hand multiverse stuff can seem like a handy fresh new start, but on the other hand I suspect the concept of multiverses could cause way more confusion among the wider audience than having a long running established continuity. As lots of comics have proven, a good writer only needs a few words to establish what the reader needs to know to enjoy the current story. 

I don’t think they’ll go down the multiverse route tbh. Maybe briefly if they want to bring in some of the fox stuff, but I don’t think it will be an ongoing plot point as it would just be so confusing and would undermine a lot of the jeopardy. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Spoiler

The Independent has reported some major potential leaks in the plans for phase 4:

Marvel leak: Trusted source appears to reveal Phase Four films and key MCU details

He reported correctly on Avengers: Endgame plot points months before it was released

A new leak seems to reveal every film Marvel will released over the next decade.

The news comes from the mysterious “Roger Wardell” who has been hailed by Marvel fans as the most trusted source since he accurately revealed key Avengers: Endgame plot points back in December.

As well as listing the films Marvel will apparently release as part of its fourth phase, Wardell also makes some big claims about the series as a whole. 

He says that, going forward, the series will present “mini-arcs” as opposed to a decade-spanning saga and that there will be a clear divided between the characters based on Earth and those based on other planets.

If Wardell is to be trusted, the recurring villain for the former will be Norman Osborn, who is expected to be introduced in Spider-Man: Far From Home.

So, the films – according to Wardell, Marvel is developing Black Widow, The Eternals, Black Panther 2, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. He adds that there are plans to make new Thor, Ant-Man and Captain Marvelsequels and suggests there could even be New Avengers, Young Avengers and Dark Avengers films. 

Most interesting is the appearance of Nova. He is a member of the intergalactic police force known as the Nova Corps and, in the comics, has had dealings with the Guardians, Captain Marvel and Thor.

The leak claims that Black Widow will star Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova, who will be introduced as the new version of Scarlett Johansson’s character while Richard Madden will take the lead role of Ikaris in Chloe Zhao’s The Eternals. 

According to Wardell, Michael B Jordan will somehow return in Black Panther 2.

The Independent has gotten hold of some leaked info on the future of the MCU. Don't click if you don't want potential spoilers. 

Sorry, the forum messed up the spoiler tags. 

A brief summary of the major stuff:

Spoiler

Smaller arcs than before, a clear divide between the Earth-bound arcs and the cosmic. Norman Osborne to be the big bad of the Earth arc, Nova to have his own film, Killmonger to return, Black Widow solo film to introduce a new character donning the form fitting leathers. 

Spoiler

Since Kilmonger ate the purple mushroom he gets to hang out in the special dead panther place?

It'd be a way to bring him back into the film.  He's more interesting as a voice of conscience than a fighty villian anyway 

Yep, that part in particular is likely nonsense (unless Sony are going proper joint venture with Marvel), the rest is made up of rumours I'd already read before, particularly about Madden and Pugh. 

I’m betting that the Black Widow film will not be a prequel but instead a multi-verse offering, that will likely send off the character. 

The multi-verse, alt-universe scenario thing being (Endgame spoilers) 

She doesn’t die during Endgame and instead it’s Hawkeye who jumps. 

7 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

I reckon there isn't a Multiverse, it's just be Mysterio talking shit.

Russos confirmed there is a multiverse.

Spoiler

Cap spent all that time with Peggy in an alternate timeline, essentially an alternate universe, before jumping back to his own timeline/universe to hand the Shield over to Falcon.