rllmuk
Pob

MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to leave MCU? (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

I’m okay with it. 

Do comics threads have have people constantly coming along complaining about there being too many and the whole thing about to collapse in on itself at any time?

Actually, yes, sort of. Comics are forever needing huge 'events' to generate interest and reset buttons and retcons, and no-one likes them.

I don't even mind. Clearly, there's going to be loads of people excited to watch all of this stuff. I'm likely to be a minority.

It's just, Disney's mindset for Marvel, and Star Wars, and this latest trend for the 'live action' remakes of its classics and so on, seems to be to milk the golden goose as hard as possible before it becomes a dead horse.

• Upvote 1

Aren't most of these coming over the course of 24 months? It may be a lot of announcements but you're not going to be binging all at the same time.

Also some may be series proper, and other are just one offs, so it'll 'die-down' soon enough.

Kat Dennings (Darcy from the first two Thors), Randall Park (the FBI guy from Ant-Man and the Wasp) and Kathryn Hahn (Liv from Spider-Verse) are going to turn up in WandaVision.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Actually, yes, sort of. Comics are forever needing huge 'events' to generate interest and reset buttons and retcons, and no-one likes them.

That's not quite true. In reality these massive events are the publisher choosing short-term profits over long-term success. With these events and with relaunches there's always a short-lived interest spike before the numbers fall off again. They're better off long-term with high quality series that sell well consistently instead just the first two or so issues, but that requires more risk taking and creative investment - but it does happen. For example, the highly praised Immortal Hulk series over at Marvel is a perfect creative storm of artistic and writing talent that resulted in one of the best superhero comic series ever - and the writer of that series asked editorial that it would be kept outside of any events or crossovers. He wants the series to stand on its own. Editorial agreed, which is a big sign that they've changed for the better, and what do you know? Due to all the praise from critics and positive word of mouth, Immortal Hulk kept slowly increasing its numbers month after month until around issue 15 or so it overtook Batman in the monthly sales charts. And it has been outselling Batman ever since. Without any big event or crossovers, it's purely down to the quality of the book instilling reader loyalty.

So I get what you're saying, and I agree that all those constant big events are crap because they happen so often, but it's not that the comics need them - it's the publishers making poor decisions.

• Upvote 9

Agreed. But also:

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

In reality these massive events are the publisher choosing short-term profits over long-term success

This is what I'm asking, I think. Are all these series and new stuffs happening because they've got good stories to tell, or because. Disney+ needs to fill its shelves with content?

44 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Agreed. But also:

This is what I'm asking, I think. Are all these series and new stuffs happening because they've got good stories to tell, or because. Disney+ needs to fill its shelves with content?

Best case scenario: both. The advantage the MCU has, is that they have more than 5 decades worth of stories to choose from rather than having to think up something new. Each of these characters have more than enough great stories associated with them to fill several seasons. That doesn't guarantee anything (see the DC movies) but the potential is there.

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

Kat Dennings (Darcy from the first two Thors), Randall Park (the FBI guy from Ant-Man and the Wasp) and Kathryn Hahn (Liv from Spider-Verse) are going to turn up in WandaVision.

Darcy was the worst thing about those two movies. So plucky and annoying.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Best case scenario: both. The advantage the MCU has, is that they have more than 5 decades worth of stories to choose from rather than having to think up something new. Each of these characters have more than enough great stories associated with them to fill several seasons. That doesn't guarantee anything (see the DC movies) but the potential is there.

One of the reasons I think that the films have been so successful is that they've adapted some of the storylines from the comics really sensibly, much more so than DC.  For example, take Civil War compared to Batman vs Superman.  Civil War keeps the central idea of the registration act, but tweaks it enough to fit the current world theyve set up, then the characters all react in ways you'd expect them to - something it handled a lot better than the comic, which had Tony cloning Thor and creating a super prison, and them going straight to trying to arrest Captain America who promptly shouted "freedom bitches" and yeets himself shield first out of the hellicarrier.  Well, more or less.  The movie was a lot more in keeping with the characters that they'd set up, and used existing threads like Bucky being deemed a fugitive to tie it together.  BvS on the other hand has Batman basically killing people with oopsies most the film before going straight to "hes done nothing but good, but he may go bad one day, so I best murder the fucker now", Superman chasing up a story about him that doesnt lead to anything and then any set up for Supes to feel like he needs to actually fight is thrown out the window with good old kidnapping and bribery.  Compared to the comic, where the doesnt happen till the end, neither actually want to kill each other and they both have sensible reasons to do it - Supes is working on behalf of the government because he knows that if he doesnt, they'll have no qualms killing Bats, and Bats just wants to show them that he can beat Superman, so they need to back the fuck off.

There's a load of stuff in the comics that they could pinch and if they do it sensibly like this, it could be really good.  The worry is that they'll oversaturate things and we'll get a lot of shows that kind of mush into the same thing and arent really that interesting because of it. 

Speaking of adaptations though, I'd be shocked if we didnt get a Civil War 2 at some point.  Sure, Tony is gone (it was Tony vs Cap Marvel in the comics) and the comic was a little too close to Minority Report, but the comic worked loads better than the first Civil War story as no one was doing bonkers shit they shouldnt.  Spoilers for the basic plot of the comic;

As I said it's basically minority report for Marvel.  One of the Inhumans sees visions of the future, Carol thinks this is a resource that should be used, Tony has doubts due to them stopping what he sees, meaning he didnt actually see the future.  It escalates when he sees the Hulk on a rampage killing superheroes, which leads to a tense confrontation (which Tony rightfully points out - what if thats what sets him off?) and goes even further when he sees Miles Morales killing Captain America.  Tony figures out he's only seeing a

likely future, and thinks this isnt enough to act on people who have done no wrong, refusing to allow Danvers to take Miles into custody in case he kills Cap.

Obviously they'd need to change Tony and Cap to other characters, but it could defintely work well as a movie, I think.

12 minutes ago, Nick R said:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/08/24/tom-holland-spider-man-future-disney-sony/

Summary: Tom Holland has had the time of his life, and is going to continue playing Spider-Man and having the time of his life. Kevin Feige always knew there was a finite amount of time that they'd be able to do this, and is thankful that they told the story they wanted to tell.

Spider senses tingling, yeah it bullshit.

Also, these twitter accounts that take that (terrible) perspective will lean into it more and more, the more attention they get. The more they're retweeted and shared. 

Pay dem bitches no mind.