Pob

MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Infinity War spoilers no doubt

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

As for Doctor Strange... It's one of my favourite origin movies in the series. The biggest criticisms of it are the weak villain (de riguer for the origins), the lack of a feeling of time passing (Strange becomes a master of the magical arts in what seems like a week), Strange being too Stark style quippy, and the under use of McAdams (infamously derided as the film simply giving Strange a bad case of the NotGay). But otherwise Cumberbatch smashes it out of the park, the film isn't afraid to make Strange genuinely unlikable at the start, epitomised by the scene where he rails at McAdams, when at his lowest ebb he lashes out at her cruelly. It has cracking effects, some inventive action scenes, some beautiful scenes, a clever ending, nicely establishes future conflicts... It's a good film.

I watched Doctor Strange again at the weekend. I loved it. The FX are mostly exceptional, and in the bits where you can see the joins it's only because they're being ultra-ambitious with all the cityfolding stuff against green screen. Strange is a right dick for two thirds of the film, which is great. I can't wait to see where this franchise goes - the only slight worry is that they've made Strange so powerful now that they'll definitely have to nerf him for the follow-up in an unsatisfying Force Unlimited 'look here's stormtroopers inexplicably invulnerable to flying lightsabres' kinda way (same with Captain Marvel in her future films!). Strange was joint MVP of Infinity War, so hopefully the sequel will be more successful than the first one, which was very middling in terms of MCU box office.

Black Panther was next up. This is a decent film, but it's only decent. The end battle, with reds vs blues, is daft. And the end fight between the two leads is ... it's fucking crap. A terribly choreographed action scene that is utterly yawnsome. Shame, because the first half of the film is fucking excellent. The car chase in particular is superb. 

Ant-Man & The Wasp next .... getting closer.  :D

I really want to pass comment on Black Panther but it's next in my review list so I'll refrain. All I'll say is that the end sequence really suffers as a result of 99% of CGI studios being booked up for Infinity War work while it was being made. Looks like a PS2 FMV cutscene at times.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

I really want to pass comment on Black Panther but it's next in my review list so I'll refrain. All I'll say is that the end sequence really suffers as a result of 99% of CGI studios being booked up for Infinity War work while it was being made. Looks like a PS2 FMV cutscene at times.

You mean the majority of the film right? This beautiful hidden African land that looks like it was filmed in someone’s back garden! The war rhinos! The PS2 cutscene you mention! Oh man, I could go on. It’s shockingly bad to look at in a lot of places where it should shine.

But yeah, let’s wait for your review, then we can discuss it further.

My rewatch continues apace.

Loved TWS the other night - perhaps more than when I've seen it in the past.

I am still not sure how I feel about Age of Ultron.  Its very good in places and I love the beginning and ending - but it really struggles in the middle section. And some of the editing and effects work is poor.

Wow, Ant-Man and the Wasp is loads of fun!! I hadn't seen it since the cinema. So much respect for Michael Douglas. What a professional. He really fucking sells that reunion at the end.These films could have been an easy paycheck for him, but he really threw himself into the role. What a guy!

Just two more to go...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wow, Ant-Man and the Wasp is loads of fun!! I hadn't seen it since the cinema. So much respect for Michael Douglas. What a professional. He really fucking sells that reunion at the end.These films could have been an easy paycheck for him, but he really threw himself into the role. What a guy!

Just two more to go...

Yes finally someone giving praise for Michael D as Pym. 

People forget what an actor he is. 

• Upvote 5

You could tell he had fun with the role. He also was regretful of how it all panned out with Edgar Wright in the first film. Wright's DNA is all through that first film, it's basically his film, with a few tweaks which I'm guessing were to tie in with the broader story-arc. 

5 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Who the eff is Kate Bishop? 

There’s a certain run of Hawkeye you need to read. Though Kate was cool in Young Avengers too.

I have to admit, a sequence of hapless misadventures in which Paul Bettany says "To me" and Elizabeth Olsen replies "To you" is not the direction I'd expected this programme to take.

And two of the other rumoured series have been confirmed, but their titles are not as funny:

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Not necessarily. I think some at least are confirmed to be taking place earlier. 

Otherwise WandaVision could end up like Weekend At Bernie’s.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

That feels like a lot of likely 2nd tier Marvel content to not watch. Are they in danger of flogging the golden goose to death?

Well, they're the big name actors at least which already makes it feel less 2nd tier than all other Marvel series so far surely?

19 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well, they're the big name actors at least which already makes it feel less 2nd tier than all other Marvel series so far surely?

I could argue that it might end up the other way - the previous Marvel TV series have been relatively free to do things to their characters by dint of them not being in the movies. Any TV series based on the movie characters is going to be pretty limited in terms of consequence or character arcs, as these guys are going to have to be able to turn up in the next movie as they were.

(Also, who cares about Falcon?) It strikes me as content for content's sake.

22 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I could argue that it might end up the other way - the previous Marvel TV series have been relatively free to do things to their characters by dint of them not being in the movies. Any TV series based on the movie characters is going to be pretty limited in terms of consequence or character arcs, as these guys are going to have to be able to turn up in the next movie as they were.

That's a good point actually. Agents of Shield suffered from this badly.