IGNORED

Suspiria Remake - Tilda Swinton, Chloe Grace Moretz, Dakota Johnson - Autumn 2018

JohnC

Has anyone seen the Tilda Swinton rumour?

I don't think this is a film spoiler but just in case - (and it's only a minor thing and may not be true)

Spoiler

That she plays her character as well as the old man in the trailer. Apparently the guy has no other credits on IMDB and no one has ever heard of him before.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Just got back from an early screening and will comment more tomorrow, but...

Eeeehhhhhhhhhh.

I really wanted to like this, and it’s an intelligently put together film, with good performances and the narrative changes are smart, but it’s far too long, some decisions are baffling, and outside of one infamous scene, the horror was a let down, particularly the climactic sequence.

It’s a lot to digest, but I think it might be a bad film - it couldn’t be further removed from Argento. :(

Same here. Came away from it feeling that there were quite a few layers to peel away but I'm just not invested in it enough for a repeat viewing. (Ever again, possibly.)

I nodded off for a few minutes a couple of times though, so whether that's a damning indictment of my attention span, the runtime or the plotting is a matter I'll leave for others to decide. My wife was bored stiff though and she loved the Argento film.

One small spoiler:

Spoiler

Chloe "Grace" Moretz was somehow not annoying, which was an astounding feat.

Well, it was.

Spoiler

Swinton in blobby prosthetics, heads exploding everywhere, silly stuttering chase cam... though the funniest part was the cut to the survivors mopping up afterwards.

I don't find that the film lingers with me much beyond the first dance scene and (avoiding spoilers) that was really only because of a parallel with Threads that I found grim.

• 2 weeks later...

Conversely, as someone with mixed feelings towards the original I actually think this version was better. It kept the artful direction and emotion-over-logic feel of the original while mostly eschewing the stupid bits like comedy blind guy and Lurch. And it actually had dancing this time!

Definitely should've been shorter, though.

I saw this today, as a huge fan of the original I felt compelled to do so. My first thought was 'Why is it so dark?'

The original was definitely a case of style over substance with an ending which just seemed to be an afterthought. The new one definitely had a better story but lacked the haunting atmosphere that made the original so great.

I suppose the ideal Suspiria would be a combination of the both. 

If I had to choose though, I'd choose the original. The new one just wasn't scary....

2 hours ago, mash said:

The original was definitely a case of style over substance with an ending which just seemed to be an afterthought. 

I used to feel that way but after repeated viewings I really love the ending. The counting footsteps, the creepy gold leaf hall, the iris, the zombie room mate then Elena Markos in the moonlight. It's all so nightmarish and surreal. Genuinely one of my fave horror endings these days 

2 hours ago, mash said:

The original was definitely a case of style over substance with an ending which just seemed to be an afterthought. 

I used to feel that way but after repeated viewings I really love the ending. The counting footsteps, the creepy gold leaf hall, the iris, the zombie room mate then Elena Markos in the moonlight. It's all so nightmarish and surreal. Genuinely one of my fave horror endings these days 

On 17/11/2018 at 23:30, hombre_hompson said:

Didn't get on with this at all. Thought it started ok but found the climax almost comical. Not scary at all.

I really liked it until the last 25 minutes, which was just completely out of place - like the film had been interrupted by a video of someone playing Doom.

• 2 months later...
On 27/08/2018 at 08:36, Goose said:
  Hide contents

That she plays her character as well as the old man in the trailer. Apparently the guy has no other credits on IMDB and no one has ever heard of him before.

Ha, I picked up on that straight away, I thought "This is really bad old makeup and I'm pretty sure that's a woman"

What the hell was the thinking behind that? It kept breaking my trance every time he was on screen, but they fucked it with the cgi blood, arty framerate and daft rubber suit frog woman at the end anyway so who cares.

Was it Tilda or just crap makeup?

• 2 months later...

I was loving this up until the end. Prior to that, I was enjoying the movie's stronger focus on story and that it wasn't trying to copy the original too much. With lots more dancing than the original as well, which makes sense, considering where it's set and that being kind of a thing that witches do.

However, I think the ending knocks it down a star, mainly because...

Spoiler

The prosthetics on the old witch were awful. It looked like she'd stepped off the set of a Blade movie (as for Tilda playing the old man under layers of prosthetics, I thought that was surprisingly great. I got used to it, and it didn't throw me out of the movie). The rest of the ending with the weird shutter speed was crap as well.

Good but not great.