JohnC

Suspiria Remake - Tilda Swinton, Chloe Grace Moretz, Dakota Johnson - Autumn 2018

I'm not one for remakes but i'm genuinely looking forward to this as I think it's a really passionate team and by all accounts they've made something with integrity. Had some friends work on it and seen some of the sets and costumes. It looks wild.

• Upvote 1

How to go from apathy to intrigue in two posts. Colour me surprised at that reply Kerraig. 

I may start allowing myself positivity at this now.

To be fair, despite Suspiria being in my top 5 horrors of all time its not a sacred cow to me. The original is so unique and bizarre that I think it remains waterproof and impervious to IP creep. 

I could never bring myself to watch Land of the Dead because the original trilogy is so perfect. I hated that it even existed. But Argentos Suspiria will always be this little cosmic oddity that floats alone across the universe unsullied. 

I rewatched Inferno last month for the first time since the 80's. Its absolutely fucking incredible. 

The absolute wildness of Inferno is almost perfectly offset by placidity of the lead actor in every single scene, it's hilarious.

I'm also intrigued by the Suspiria remake, there's enough potential in the premise to do something completely different but faithful to it. I heard a few murmurs about a difficult production a while back but it's not like the original was coherent or anything.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

To be fair, despite Suspiria being in my top 5 horrors of all time its not a sacred cow to me. The original is so unique and bizarre that I think it remains waterproof and impervious to IP creep. 

I could never bring myself to watch Land of the Dead because the original trilogy is so perfect. I hated that it even existed. But Argentos Suspiria will always be this little cosmic oddity that floats alone across the universe unsullied. 

I rewatched Inferno last month for the first time since the 80's. Its absolutely fucking incredible. 

True and that Land of the Dead decision. Probably not the wrong one. 

Interestingly I thought Survival of the dead was one of the best horror films I have seen in many years and by far the best zombie film i'd seen since day of the dead

For me the soundtrack was probably one of the best things about Suspiria, it evokes such a brilliant atmosphere of dread. Can’t see how they’ll match it.

Where the original can be improved is in the plot, there’s that really clunky bit where Udo Kier gives Jessica all the shot she needs to know and then a couple of scenes later it’s all over. It’s all rather abrupt and feels rushed. 

I bought that recent blu ray with an apparently tremendous restoration. Looking forward to seeing it looking its best (I have seen it projected from an off-colour 35mm print before, which was a pleasure). 

14 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Interestingly I thought Survival of the dead was one of the best horror films I have seen in many years and by far the best zombie film i'd seen since day of the dead

You watched Survival of the Dead but not Land of the Dead !?!

Land is half-decent. The others are terrible.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

You watched Survival of the Dead but not Land of the Dead !?!

Land is half-decent. The others are terrible.

At the time of Land of the Dead's release it was the 4th in the trilogy so I blackballed it. Then when he made two more I managed to convince myself that Land is part of this new shit trilogy that I didn't need to see.

But then I watched Survival anyway, which was pretty great in its own mad little way.

On 28/04/2018 at 19:21, kerraig UK said:

At the time of Land of the Dead's release it was the 4th in the trilogy so I blackballed it. Then when he made two more I managed to convince myself that Land is part of this new shit trilogy that I didn't need to see.

But then I watched Survival anyway, which was pretty great in its own mad little way.

Ah I feel we’ve maybe chatted about this before.

You should watch Land if you liked Survival. You’re depriving yourself of something you will likely enjoy.

Diary remains the worst film I have ever paid to see on the big screen.

On 28/04/2018 at 13:04, deerokus said:

I bought that recent blu ray with an apparently tremendous restoration. Looking forward to seeing it looking its best (I have seen it projected from an off-colour 35mm print before, which was a pleasure). 

I just checked the opening on this blu ray (the recent Cult Films release from the TLEFilms restoration) Jesus, it looks amazing, I didn't think Suspiria could look so fantastic. Razor sharp lines and all those primary colours are unsettlingly vibrant. 

Definitely recommended.

It's being released on 2 November, in the US at least. Apparently seen as a key date for awards season.

On 15/05/2018 at 20:59, grindmouse said:

Did I read Thom Yorke is doing the soundtrack?

Seems like they have big ambitions for this.

Yes.

• Upvote 1

On 04/06/2018 at 17:58, cassidy said:

That's a great trailer. Film looks like it was shot in the 70's 

That's a trend I could get behind.

And is it just me or does Tilda Swinton look like a scrubbed up Thom Yorke?