tumblr_oj26g58hJp1svmpf2o1_1280.png

and Super Sprint:

tumblr_oi8v4tFp6M1svmpf2o1_1280.png

and Robotron:

tumblr_oi8v4yLccd1svmpf2o1_1280.png

and Defender:

tumblr_oi8uychCI41svmpf2o1_1280.png

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Wolfenstein 3D has a Pac-Man level in it.

Didn't one of the other Wolfenstein games have Wolfenstein 3D in it? I know The Old Blood has posters of it dotted about:

tumblr_p3wifgEtnh1svmpf2o1_1280.png

Think so.

Also the recent Doom has secret entrances to old-school Doom levels, or puzzle rooms (I forget which).

I loooove minigames in games. We put a shitload of extra stuff in The Hungry Horde my personal fave being the end credits... basically the credits scroll was on a tv screen and if you moved the sticks you'd realise you were in an FPS on a nice desert island. All of us devs were there and you could shoot us and we'd turn into zombies and sort of attack you (though there wasn't really any gameplay. At the end of an island there was a tiki hut with pong in it, which you could then play. Also we had a twin stick zombie shooter in the game, so tyou were a zombie playing a game where you're a guy shooting zombies.... and in that minigame there was a weapon upgrade system, the final mystery upgrade was a breakout game. A minigame in a minigame. Playing it unlocked the Gameception trophy.

Obviously Vostok carries that on with 13 minigames. Here's the FPS

shooter.gif

On 23/04/2018 at 15:39, ScouserInExile said:

I always liked the single round of Galaga (iirc) on the Ridge Racer loading screen... Clearing the screen got you a better starting car in the main game.

Did it?!? :o

• 1 year later...

17 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Impossible Mission II on the Amiga included the C64 version of the original.

Interesting, how did you access it? Was it an emulation? That would have been pretty impressive considering the primitive state of emulators at the time. 

Galaxians on the loading screen of Ridge Racer I seem to remember?

Maniac Mansion hidden inside Day Of The Tentacle? (is it there on the remasters as well, can't remember). 

• 2 years later...

As mentioned all of the RGG Studio games include classic arcade titles but I've always tended to take these for granted as they are normally ones that have been around the block a bit (Outrun, Fantasy Zone, Virtua Fighter etc) - but Judgment included Motor Raid which I was blown away by, I'd never even heard of it before as it was previously arcade-only. 

• 3 weeks later...

This might have been mentioned already ... And it's not exactly a modern game!

But according to the view I just read of Lynx Electro Cop , it contains version of Breakout and Asteroids that can be played from an in-game computer terminal, which I never knew. This was 1990 which must make it one of the oldest "retro games inside modern games" examples?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/06/2022 at 02:04, dadrester said:

Sooooo.... Our next game which we'll be announcing a release date for very soon is basically this thread turned into a game.

It's called Arcade Paradise and it's a sort of light management sim where you run a laundrette with arcade in the back, but everything is fully playable. All built by us from the ground up and really some could be standalone games I think.

One of the games is a side scrolling brawler, which has a pixel art laundrette in it. And you can go inside it and play a bunch of arcades...

20220621_020348.jpg

I've just been notified by steam this has been released, one question: does it play well on steamdeck?

On 21/06/2022 at 02:04, dadrester said:

Sooooo.... Our next game which we'll be announcing a release date for very soon is basically this thread turned into a game.

It's called Arcade Paradise and it's a sort of light management sim where you run a laundrette with arcade in the back, but everything is fully playable. All built by us from the ground up and really some could be standalone games I think.

One of the games is a side scrolling brawler, which has a pixel art laundrette in it. And you can go inside it and play a bunch of arcades...

20220621_020348.jpg

Loved this. Reviewed it here: https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2022/08/11/arcade-paradise-review/

Awesome job :)