Birds of Prey - Harley Quinn Led DC Spin off - Margot Robbie - Feb 2020

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

This is bombing so apparently they’re changing the name to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

The trailer was fucking awful and they waited too long after Suicide Squad, which wasn’t a great movie. So as likeable as Robbie is, this is not much of a surprise.

Comparing its domestic opening weekend to other R-rated superhero films:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Joker-(2019)/Logan-(2017)/Birds-of-Prey-(And-the-Fantabulous-Emancipation-of-One-Harley-Quinn)-(2020)/Hellboy-(2019)/Deadpool/Deadpool-2#tab=weekend_comparison

53gH07F.png

(I didn't add Kick-Ass or Watchmen because those were a long time ago and the comparisons are not inflation-adjusted.)

The response I've seen to this is that before declaring something a bomb, the budget needs to be taken into account:

But with Hollywood Accounting, who knows?

I liked the film. Probably not as funny as the best bits of the two Deadpools, or the clips I've seen of the new animated Harley Quinn TV series. But once it gets all the non-linear setup out of the way (which takes up a much greater proportion of the film than I was expecting) it's great fun.

Spoiler

I didn't recognise who was on the police station Wanted poster that Harley recognises - apparently it was Captain Boomerang. I also read that Arleen Sorkin gets a cameo on TV at one point, but I didn't spot her!

I noticed Shane Glines' name in the credits for the animated opening sequence. He's one of the artists (like Darwyn Cooke) who worked on the Timm animated series and has used a similar illustration style.

I wish there was more of Bruce the hyena. :(

I agree with @George Clooney's comments about the use of the environment in the final action sequence.

Gail Simone wrote a long Twitter thread the other day, about comparisons between those characters in the film and in the comics. She wasn't keen on its version of Cassandra Cain. But other than that she's full of praise:

Yeah, whichever way you slice it though, it ain't great. They always conveniently exclude marketing budget from their costings. I'm fairly confident WB will have said something along the lines of, "Total budget is $120m including marketing, and we recommend you spend at least 1/3rd on that".

So yeah, a conservative estimate would be $120m spend, so another $30m or so clear profit needed just to break even. And the takings don't account for overheads - those figures are just reporting what the cinemas have taken-in, before costs. Also, as I've said once or twice before ( ;) ), Hollywood make far less profit on international distribution. 

I reckon WB would have been reasonably confident they'd do 'ok' on this one, expecting $350m take, hoping for north of $500m at the extreme end of luck.

Have to be honest, I can believe that. I'd classify "Birds of Prey" as something only the uberest of uber nerds are genuinely aware of. 

I consider myself a big Batman fan, but I'd never heard of Birds of Prey until this was announced, and even then I honestly thought it was called Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey right up until it was released. 

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

Have to be honest, I can believe that. I'd classify "Birds of Prey" as something only the uberest of uber nerds are genuinely aware of. 

I consider myself a big Batman fan, but I'd never heard of Birds of Prey until this was announced, and even then I honestly thought it was called Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey right up until it was released. 

Not a big reader of Batman comics then?

The Birds of Prey have been around since the 90’s and the various members have been a big part of the Batman comic universe since then.

No, I'm not. I've read TDKR, Hush, Year One, The Long Halloween, and Court of Owls. That's it. And I'd bet that's more than 90% of the people who'd happily go and see a Harley Quinn movie if it was, y'know, called Harley Quinn. I never knew Birds of Prey was actually a thing until this movie. 

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

That doesn't necessarily matter. Guardians of the Galaxy were really obscure before their successful first movie. That's the most obvious example. But even before that, Iron Man and Captain America were hardly considered characters that would attract a large audience, certainly not on the level of, say, X-Men or Spider-Man. And look at them now. Now we have characters like Hawkeye, Vision, and Falcon running around. I'd say it's not a problem with the source material, just WB being extremely incompetent again when it comes to the DCEU.

You raise an excellent point about Guardians, when I saw the first trailer I was like, "Who the fuck are these chumps" but the movie turned out to be excellent. 

Also, get this, when Thor was first announced I thought it was hilarious, and that a film about the god of thunder was just too ridiculous that no-one would go watch it. That worked out well. :coffee:

43 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That doesn't necessarily matter. Guardians of the Galaxy were really obscure before their successful first movie. That's the most obvious example. But even before that, Iron Man and Captain America were hardly considered characters that would attract a large audience, certainly not on the level of, say, X-Men or Spider-Man. And look at them now. Now we have characters like Hawkeye, Vision, and Falcon running around. I'd say it's not a problem with the source material, just WB being extremely incompetent again when it comes to the DCEU.

Indeed, none of the Avengers were really any of Marvel’s most popular characters, yet they still managed to create a wildly successful movie universe with them.  

DC have just been fucking useless and have made bad decisions over and over again and until they have a hard reboot, I don’t imagine them ever catching up.

On 12/02/2020 at 22:45, Thor said:

I’m guessing you missed the tv show?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_Prey_(TV_series)

Very good point made earlier about Guardians being completely obscure when it was announced, although I suppose the argument could be made that simply being an MCU movie already gave it a massive leg-up. However, the marketing for Guardians was really good, whereas the marketing for BOP has been terrible.

10 hours ago, Eighthours said:

However, the marketing for Guardians was really good, whereas the marketing for BOP has been terrible.

On 11/02/2020 at 12:45, grindmouse said:

The trailer was fucking awful

12 hours ago, Festoon said:

The appaling marketing continues.

Lots of people making these complaints, but I think that the trailers for Birds of Prey did a good job of conveying the film's tone and look.

What they could have done better was to give some indication of what the plot was: a low-stakes gangster caper involving lots of different people with different reasons to run round chasing/protecting a kid in possession of the thing everyone wants. It's essentially Snatch set in Gotham. What's so hard to sell about that? 

Spoiler

Or alternatively they could have sold it as a love story between one woman and her sandwich. Which anyone who's seen the film will agree is what it's really about. :D

(Hence this is the bit that needs to be kept in spoiler tags.)

Another thing the trailers didn't do was give some indication of why the characters other than Harley are worth seeing the film for. Because they are! (As it turned out, Huntress ended up making the most of her limited screen time - though the reason her personality works so well in the film, in contrast to the other major characters, isn't something that's suited to being shown off in trailers.) Even what's fun/threatening about Black Mask as a villain is not presented at all in the trailers.

The other complaint that I've seen people make was "I didn't even know it was out yet!" I'm not sure what's caused the marketing to fail there.

Anyway I think the film deserves to do better than it is. I would urge anyone on the forum who has enjoyed Harley as a character in any of her previous depictions (from Batman The Animated Series to the new animated series), or has enjoyed Gotham as a setting for things beyond Batman, or who wants to see a superhero film without world-threatening scale for once, or who wants to see a really good rollerskate/car chase action sequence, to give it a watch.

I agree with that.  Saw it at the weekend and really enjoyed it.  Maybe it was the mood I was in, company I was with, the shitty week at work but this and it’s humour really clicked with me.  

It’s definitely a Harley Quinn film (marketing wise they should have just stuck with that) and Robbie shines in the role.  McGregor is having fun.  I love the take on Huntress.  This was just good fun that didn’t take itself seriously.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah quite enjoyed this after watching on Amazon. Feel like they could've done with a slightly higher budget for a few of the fight scenes, but it worked when it needed to particularly at the end.

Is Harley supposed to have super strength in this universe? I know she does in the cartoons right?

• 6 months later...

Should have marketed it as Harley Quinn: More Coherent Squad.

the paucity of imagination outside of Mcgregors turn and the Police Station was quite something though.

• 4 weeks later...