Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I wonder how modern audiences - with no attachment to the nostalgia - will treat these. Even with new controls and time-skip functions, it's still a game from a totally different time and gaming landscape.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I wonder how modern audiences - with no attachment to the nostalgia - will treat these. Even with new controls and time-skip functions, it's still a game from a totally different time and gaming landscape.

 

I'm pretty sure only those who've already played the game before will buy it again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I wonder how modern audiences - with no attachment to the nostalgia - will treat these. Even with new controls and time-skip functions, it's still a game from a totally different time and gaming landscape.

 

I think the closest thing for modern audiences is Deadly Premonition, it's that same type of Japanese adventure game based around investigation with the occasional combat section, a meticulously crafted open-world location, a cast of strongly defined characters all with daily routines, day and night cycles where you need to be in certain places at certain times, and numerous side activities.

 

I think the biggest change is at the time Shenmue seemed to be treated with the sort of arty reverence lots of early indie games were, now it's going to be more akin to a campy curio.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

...I think the biggest change is at the time Shenmue seemed to be treated with the sort of arty reverence lots of early indie games were, now it's going to be more akin to a campy curio.

 

The recent Giant Bomb East endurance run of Shenmue treated the game as the latter, not the former -

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I'm just messing around. I think there is some scope to make some quite nice Shenmue achievements that encourage players to explore and take their time.

 

Unlocking the duck racing game in Shenmue II. Good luck getting 100% guys ha. 

 

I'm wondering if you'll be able to use your Shenmue 1 save to carry over goodies into Shenmue II still. There were all sorts of scrolls etc... that were supposed to be carried throughout the series. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful news.

 

Shenmue is so important in gaming history – a grounded and honest experience that represented the peak of ambition in gaming at the time. I've never played another adventure game with a proper fighting game inside it, indicative of the extreme level of uncompromising detail – it really could've been a simple button masher.

With that all said.. I'm not sure what is wrong with me, but one of my worries is that new players will try it, not get it, and then not buy Shenmue 3.. nooooo

 

 

Quote

Achievement! Called "Bro" by Goro 1000 times


wonder if they'll include "What's Shenmue", and al the Passport stuff, too? Those 3D head demos were just mind blowing back then..!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 03:09, MW_Jimmy said:

Port being done by d3t who are based in Runcorn. Must be someone's on here with some insider links:

 

https://d3tltd.com/about-d3t/

 

Only thing I've seen their name on was the PS4 port of Super Stardust which was very perfunctory. I'm not expecting more than just a clean-up and up-res port but let's see.

 

Well that, confirms what I suspected that Sega of Japan, aren't doing the ports, so it's very unlikely we will see this HD updates include the promotion games What's Shenmue as that was only ever in Japanese. My sources over the years still say there's a lot of angry directed at Yu Suzuki from the Japanese branch, as many feel the money invested in Shenmue should have been put into other Dreamcast titles.

 

Sega have never said if they turned a profit from Shenmue, so will be interesting to see how well these HD remakes do. Certainly I suspect both original games will be much larger than Shenmue 3. I'd certainly be playing the originals again, but I do wonder how others will take to the series, as why ground breaking in the day many games have since taken what it did for open world gameplay and moved the boat further out.

 

If you never played What's Shenmue here's a video run of it, sees Ryo have to protect a Sega Marketing chap:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Riven said:

My sources over the years still say there's a lot of angry directed at Yu Suzuki from the Japanese branch, as many feel the money invested in Shenmue should have been put into other Dreamcast titles.

 

 

Pretty sure I read an interview years ago when somebody who worked there pretty much complained about how Shenmue sucked up all the manpower at one point. But then again, Yu Suzuki was responsible for multiple monster hits for the company, and much like Hollywood studios sometimes allowing their star hitmakers to sometimes do an expensive passion project, they owed him one on balance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, pastry said:

Wonderful news.

 

Shenmue is so important in gaming history – a grounded and honest experience that represented the peak of ambition in gaming at the time. I've never played another adventure game with a proper fighting game inside it, indicative of the extreme level of uncompromising detail – it really could've been a simple button masher.

With that all said.. I'm not sure what is wrong with me, but one of my worries is that new players will try it, not get it, and then not buy Shenmue 3.. nooooo

 

Well nobody in the West seemed to really care when Shenmue 2 was released for the Xbox and whilst it may have pulled in a big amount from Kickstarter, there were still less than 70,000 backers. I'm doubtful that it will expand much outside of the small core market who wanted this - but that is fine so long as it is just large enough to sustain development on however many additional chapters are planned (didn't Yu remark he had 11 or 12 chapters still in his head?)

 

I suppose from Sega's perspective if the re-releases do well it would make them open to helping with future Shenmue development. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“We’ve tried to stay as close to the original feature sets in each game as possible, so Shenmue 1 will not have the time skip feature,” a Sega spokesperson told VG247 in a brief statement.

 

It took me years to finish the original. I had precious little time then and even less now. Fucked it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

If anything it’s the reporters messing up.

Even then, it's a small and extremely obvious feature that they chose not to implement. It's disappointing and a bit typical either way. I'll still buy the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Funnily enough I don't remember waiting around bothering me much. I'd just go to the arcade and play darts, or practice for a bit.

 

I don't think I really used it much in Shenmue 2 either – perhaps because there were more martial artists to train with, and a larger world full of distractions to wander.

 

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

 

Well nobody in the West seemed to really care when Shenmue 2 was released for the Xbox [...]

 

I suppose from Sega's perspective if the re-releases do well it would make them open to helping with future Shenmue development. 

 

Yeah,  I guess we know the wider market doesn't care about Shenmue – it's too slow, spiritual, and hasn't got enough guns and flashing lights in it. It's certainly not for everyone, but it was everything I wanted when it came out – I put it at #1 in @Benny's top 100 after all..

And with that said, I don't think we'll see any more Shenmue after 3 – another Kickstarter would fall flat, and SEGA will never take the risk on funding it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, pastry said:

Yeah,  I guess we know the wider market doesn't care about Shenmue – it's too slow, spiritual, and hasn't got enough guns and flashing lights in it. It's certainly not for everyone, but it was everything I wanted when it came out – I put it at #1 in @Benny's top 100 after all..

And with that said, I don't think we'll see any more Shenmue after 3 – another Kickstarter would fall flat, and SEGA will never take the risk on funding it again.

 

Not enough guns or flashing lights? :lol:  That just sounds bitter.

 

I still have my Xbox copy of Shenmue 2 incidentally. Never played it.  I did watch the film they included to recap what happened in Shenmue when I was bored one night though, it wasn't good. Was it ever made backwards compatible for the 360? I might dig it out if so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we really want Shenmue to look like a modern game and have a time skip feature? Or do we want it to be as magical as it was 20 years ago? If so, time skip might even ruin the experience. Play it because of its atmosphere and magic, not because of modern features. 

 

Also, I agree with pastry. Yu is well advised to bring Shenmue to a closure now. The fan base is tiny and future funding is way too uncertain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gabe said:

 

Not enough guns or flashing lights? :lol:  That just sounds bitter.

 

Hey, I like guns and flashing lights in my games too. I'm not bitter about Shenmue, I just don't think it has mass appeal.

 

30 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Do we really want Shenmue to look like a modern game

 

Improved real-time lighting and weather effects, maybe some subtle depth of field, and better draw-in – that wouldn't be too unwelcome. But yeah, let's not do an "Ico on PS3" and lose the aesthetic.

 

I expect we'll get the bare minimum. Faster loading would be nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I played through one again about 4 years ago over Christmas. It did not take nearly as long as when I was younger, I also cannot remember that time was an issue - there are bits time dependant for example store opens from x to x, but you always had the park time skip /just stuff to do on the way to the location (mainly look and explore and generic talk) 

 

Number two should introduce computers taking over my job! Yes please!!! (I found making money a real grind) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shynra said:

I played through one again about 4 years ago over Christmas. It did not take nearly as long as when I was younger, I also cannot remember that time was an issue - there are bits time dependant for example store opens from x to x, but you always had the park time skip /just stuff to do on the way to the location (mainly look and explore and generic talk) 

 

Number two should introduce computers taking over my job! Yes please!!! (I found making money a real grind) 

I cheated if I remember correctly. Kept gambling, reloading/saving until I had a bundle of cash. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.