Port being done by d3t who are based in Runcorn. Must be someone's on here with some insider links:

https://d3tltd.com/about-d3t/

Only thing I've seen their name on was the PS4 port of Super Stardust which was very perfunctory. I'm not expecting more than just a clean-up and up-res port but let's see.

YESSSSSSSSSSASS!!!!!! Best game evereeeeerrrreeeeeeee

i will just play slot machines all day. And go do jobs. And I never even played number 2.

best day everrrrr :)

inb4 “why no Switch?” ;)

Outside of getting an RRoD minutes into the second game I have no history with Shenmue (I know my way around DC emulators but could never be bothered getting hold of all those disc images), and common sense tells me that it will have aged badly without nostalgia shades, but I’d be tempted to see how well it holds up...

9 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Good news.  This would also suggest that 3 will find it's way onto other platforms too in due course.

Why? They're entirely separate and 3 is being partly funded by Sony.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Why? They're entirely separate and 3 is being partly funded by Sony.

Why not?  It's not first party.  I really don't see why they would have ported 1&2 over if they aren't at least thinking about this - what would be the point?    There were lots of rumours that it was coming to XB back when the news of 3 was relatively fresh.

(essentially beaten by @Stanley and @Mr. Gerbik)

I was under the impression that Sega has absolutely nothing to do with Shenny 3 except for letting YuYu have the license... I might be mistaken about that, but if it's correct then what Sega does with Shensy 1 and 2 can't be taken as any kind of indication about anything to do with 3. It would be up to the Yu-meister and Deep Silver/THQ and whatever agreement they have with Sony.

I’m not convinced  these games will have worn too well . I played them both to completetion back in the Dreamcast days, but things have moved on a massive amount since then , especially in this genre . 

But im happy to be proven wrong .

• Upvote 5

Yeah I was about to say, is this is going to be another Sega re-release that completely deflates the nostalgia and is revealed as a not very good game hyped beyond belief by people justifying bad purchases when they were 15? Because that's been all of them so far

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

^ misery-guts. 

I’ve just recently got a Dreamcast and hooked it up to my CRT with the intention of playing through both Shenmue 1 & 2, literally about to start and then they announce this! 

Might have to go go for a second round later in the year. 

• Upvote 2

I'm very happy these are being rereleased. The original Shenmue is a fantastic but flawed game but Shenmue II is fantastic from start to finish, there is the same jump in quality between the two games that Assassins Creed 1 to 2 had. 

• Upvote 1

It would be nice if they have an original mode which keeps all the quirks of the original intact or a remastered mode, which offers the QOL upgrades from Shenmue II (like the clock skip) into the first game. I know they are adding modern camera controls which is good.

Shenmue 1's an odd beast. If you can get through the first couple of hours it'll grip you tight.

Shenmue II's an absolutely awesome game all the way through. The building on the 3rd disc is still one of my favourite gaming experience ever.

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Why not?  It's not first party.  I really don't see why they would have ported 1&2 over if they aren't at least thinking about this - what would be the point?    There were lots of rumours that it was coming to XB back when the news of 3 was relatively fresh.

(essentially beaten by @Stanley and @Mr. Gerbik)

Because 3 has literally nothing to do with 1&2 in this way.

It's like saying Activision might port Burnout Paradise. They're different games, technology, teams and companies. Sega has nothing to do with Shenmue 3.

47 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yeah I was about to say, is this is going to be another Sega re-release that completely deflates the nostalgia and is revealed as a not very good game hyped beyond belief by people justifying bad purchases when they were 15? Because that's been all of them so far

I replay them every few years. They are still amazing experiences.. more than just game play. It's about sinking into that world and enjoying it, not a lot of modern experiences do it or do it very well.

• Upvote 1