dumpster

Ghost Stories - Andy Nyman, Jeremy Dyson

Saw this today and it was OK. I think my expectations were higher than they should have been because I have heard such good things about the stage play. I enjoyed it but left me with an overwhelming sense of (massive spoiler) 

... Feeling like I'd seen exactly the same idea before. Either a TV show or a film.  Basically you get an introduction to the main character, and then that character investigates three Ghost Stories. In the end you learn that he is in hospital on life support and all the stories are in his coma stricken head and all the characters and plot points are things that are going on around him in the hospital.  I enjoyed the film, nothing hugely special but it was what it was and it was done well enough, but when it got to the end and the doctor was one of the characters from the Ghost Story I thought, oh here we go, it's that ending. Then the cleaner comes in, whistling a tune off the radio that you heard earlier...  Just felt like a decent Tales of the Unexpected rather than a film. 

Yeah... It was OK.  Very surprised by its 4/5 Empire, 95% rotten tomatoes and 90% in reviews.  

And the voice of Betty? Of course it was. 

I’ve seen the stage play, which was excellent, but I’m not sure how well it can translate to film if they’re using the same premise, but in a regular cinema.

I didn’t think the actual stories were that frightening; anyone who’s watched a lot of horror films will know where the jump scares are. The stage play relied on environmental trickery in the theatre to play a large part in creating the atmosphere - temperature variations, lighting tricks, and ambient sound. They even piped in smells for various scenes. They’ve really missed a huge trick if they haven’t done a version that takes advantage of the Cineworld 4DX experience.

I thought Paul Whitehouse was great in it, but he's a great actor I think. He was good in The Death Of Stalin too. On the whole this was much too reliant on jump scares. I watched The Ritual a few days later and that was much more effective and oppressive a horror experience by contrast. 

One thing that affected me though, when the investigator goes to the young lad's house to interview him, the house was identical in layout to my best friend's childhood house. It was as if it had been filmed there. Freaked me right out. 

I thought it was pretty good, possibly saddled with too much expectation? (and the jump scares were a PITA).

@dumpster:

Spoiler

The story was a bit too similar to Amicus's Dr. Terror's House of Horror : the narrator shows how these people died in / experienced all sorts of odd and impossible situations, and in the end it turns out that none of it happened/will happen, and the narrator was the cause of everything (in Dr. Terror he's the Grim Reaper, in this it's all in Prof. Goodman's mind).

For me, the minute they put a load of numbers up I was tipped off. It was a bad idea doing that. I was immediately put in mind of The Number 23, which used a similar 'mystery' gimmick.

Imperfect, but worth a watch (and I think i'll enjoy it more on a re-watch).

I saw and enjoyed it in the theatre, so I fully intend to watch this. @dumpster you're probably right that it's derivative, but I think it's deliberate, in part. The execution of it was great in the theatre, and really formed the attraction. I do imagine that doesn't carry through fully to film.

• Upvote 1

I felt like the film would be an amazing play, and wish I'd gone to see it. With a day of reflection I did enjoy the film,  but rather than being simply derivative, I have a real feeling of deja vu, as if I've seen exactly that storyline (the ending) as a Tales of the Unexpected, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, or something and its been bugging me ever since.  

Well that was an unexpected joy ... more than makes up for The Cottage all those years ago, and is pretty much everything A A Quiet Place is not

Impressed with how it translates to the cinema, makes superb use of widescreen so even tho each and every scare is telegraphed a mile off there is still a lot of fun to be had scanning all the available space and you rarely feel cheated when the scenes come together 

the humour is of course jet black but even 10 leagues down from Psycoville or League of Gentlemen I’m glad to say - it doesn’t play for laughs except when it chooses to (I howled at what is possibly the greatest use of product placement since Wayne’s World 2)

the use of silence is incredibly effective and will without doubt go ignored while the tone deaf Quiet Place mops up all the honours - I was never scared, not even close, but I thoroughly enjoyed the craft, the unsettling performances (especially Paul Whitehouse), and how effectively it tied it all together

its a movie fan’s joy as well, pilfering without shame from such classics as Night of the Demon, maybe even a bit of Angel Heart, and of course the classic Asylum, but also British fare like Hammer House of Horror and Wicker Man

much better than I was expecting, and defo not one to leave for the small screen 

Watched this last night. Its a direct nod to the Amicus horror anthology movies of the 70s. ( I'm sure that had already been mentioned) . 

The problem with the individual stories was that there was very little story to them at all. Just somebody going about their business and then seeing a ghost. The Amicus style tie in twist at the end worked well and was itself the strongest story. Strange that there were no women in it I thought. Apart from the woman in the audience at the fake event at the begginining .  It wasn't great but enjoyable enough. I actually wouldn't mind seeing another one.

I saw it on a plane and was very disappointed by it. The build up was great and the individual stories were a lot of fun, but the ending completely ruined it for me. I felt like I'd wasted my time with it. Such a shame, as it had a lot of good moments.

Perhaps it would have been better in the cinema.