IGNORED

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Nespresso

2 minutes ago, smac said:

With regard to Nick C's tip 2 - always check your existing deck before adding a card; you can always bring up the overlay that lists all of your cards.

So is the order of what cards you get randomised each hand, or at the start of each battle? Can you see what you're going to get in your next hand and plan accordingly, affecting an enemy with the vulnerable status, for example, because you know in your next hand you're big attack card is coming up?

41 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

So is the order of what cards you get randomised each hand, or at the start of each battle? Can you see what you're going to get in your next hand and plan accordingly, affecting an enemy with the vulnerable status, for example, because you know in your next hand you're big attack card is coming up?

It's always randomised throughout unless you pick up the Frozen Eye relic. 

Here's a tip that took me a while. Learn that your HP is a resource. As long as you can keep it above 0, it is often with spending it to power up your deck or get through certain fights more quickly. 

E.g.

You might find yourself wanting to block all damage early on, but in some fights that will cost you even more HP further in the fight, if the enemy's scaling is better than yours (e.g. cultist early on and the Act 1 elites)

Cards like hemokinesis that cost a bit of HP to use but have powerful effects. Using hemokinesis, for example, costs hp but does a lot of damage for little energy. If you use it, you might end the fight a turn earlier and avoid that big attack you would have taken otherwise. 

Remember that your HP is refilled after each act's boss, so if you finish an act with full HP, that's essentially a resource you wasted. You could have upgraded a card instead of resting or taken on an extra elite fight for a relic, etc.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I meant after the fight. Always remind yourself what's in your full deck before potentially unbalancing it. If I just thing 'ooh, that's a good card' I end up with a mess.

During a fight, yes, you can see what's in your draw pile, but randomised. Unless you have the relic - frozen eye, thanks petrolgirls - that shows it in order.

I'm not sure if card hands are fully randomized each 'shuffle', anyway; a lot depends on the initial seed value for the entire run!

As far as I can tell from daily challenges, your seed order determines what you get offered at your first, second, third, fourth room of a given type, and that isn’t tied to a particular room and “missed” if you take a different path. Be interested if anyone’s noticed different (because I’m only mostly convinced of this).

Mobile? There’s currently an iOS version, no android. It’s a bit small on a phone. Crack on an iPad. Two or three hands? Ha.

Card rewards are picked from the common/uncommon/rare card pools. Which specific cards you get offered are not pre-determined by seed.

You start with 3% chance of getting offered a rare card, 37% chance of uncommon and 60% common. Though in reality these all start with -5% on them, so on your first fight you actually have -2% chance of a rare (effectively no chance).

Every time you are offered a common card, your rare chance goes up by 1%, and 1% is also distracted from your chance of getting a common card next time. This is per card, not per reward. So if you get offered 3 commons, your rare chance goes up by 3% and your common chance goes down by 3%.

Every time you're offered a rare this resets to the original values, so if you get offered a rare really early it takes a few fights and offers to build it back up again, which is why elite fights sometimes give you a surprisingly crappy selection.

Shops have a smaller total card pool with higher rare/uncommon chances, Elite fights have a higher rare/uncommon chance and Boss fights always offer rares.

Enemies/events/potions are dictated by similar rules. Events are more complicated though, and can be affected by the act, how many floors you've traversed, how much gold you have, whether or not you have curses, which events you've already seen etc. There's a whole separate spreadsheet Jorbs uses for that sometimes.

With enemies, the first three regular fights in the act are all from the easy enemy pool, then 4 and up will be from the harder selection. As you say, these fights don't have to be in succession or from the same room "type". So if your question mark event turns out to be regular fight, that will be added to the regular fight counter, so if you've done three regular fights, a question mark runs quite a high risk of being a fight from the hard enemy pool.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Is it available on Android? I get the impression it would make an excellent mobile game, playing a couple of hands here and there when you've got a spare five minutes.

I spent 99p the other day on an android game called Pirates Outlines which is a shockingly similar game.

Can anyone tell me if a Thousand Cuts can be stacked? Or does it just have no effect if you have 2 of them in your deck?

I'm stuck on ascension 7 with all my characters,  I can't seem to beat it.

With the Silent I got the ship that gives +4 on 0 cards, and thought I can build a great shiv deck with this...did a single shiv card appear? Did it fuck.

I know you need to adapt but when you have a useful relic just sitting there doing fuck all it's very annoying!

1 hour ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

This is far too addictive. However, is it just me or do the enemies have a nasty and regular habit of playing attacks with just the right amount of damage to finish you off? Rarely do I get obliterated and I'm not often left on single digits.

It’s just you.

though it depends a bit on which act.

On 02/08/2020 at 14:22, Delargey said:

I'm stuck on ascension 7 with all my characters,  I can't seem to beat it.

With the Silent I got the ship that gives +4 on 0 cards, and thought I can build a great shiv deck with this...did a single shiv card appear? Did it fuck.

I know you need to adapt but when you have a useful relic just sitting there doing fuck all it's very annoying!

Beat A7 with the Silent - got the sgenko eye at the start which really helped, then the donunt and diamond end boss , I had that poison card that equals damage of whoever you kill.

• 2 weeks later...

Been lured back to this in the absence of anything else to hold my attention, and decided to chip away at the final few Steam achievements. I finally got Infinity (play 25 cards in a turn), which had eluded me for months, almost accidentally with a Corruption, Dead Branch and double Dark Embrace. I got a taste for it and decided to go for some more. 

First was Who Needs Relics (beat the game with a single relic). I've tried this one a couple of dozen times I reckon, always as Ironclad, since I figured that the class has enough ways of building strength and doing damage without relics, and the autoheal from the starter relic would keep me topped up. I came close a few times, including a couple of runs that went all the way to the Act 3 boss, but I always fell short, normally due to lack of energy. Last night I decided to try it with Silent, took the starter relic swap off Neow, got Busted Crown and it was plain sailing from there.

Today I did Minimalist (win with a deck of five cards). Only took two goes; I had one with all the right pieces (Ironclad with Bash, Shrug It Off, double Dropkick and an Inflame) but didn't get enough card-remove opportunities and got to the final boss with a deck of seven. The second time I got by with fewer removes after taking Pandora's Box from the first boss. But I didn't see a single fucking Dropkick. It's only an uncommon but I swear I hardly ever see it offered. I got to the final boss with Bash, Inflame, Shrug, Pummel and Anger, thought there's no way this is going to work but we've got this far, might as well. And it worked! What a silly card Anger+ is in a small deck, haha. 

All I have left now is You Are Nothing (defeat a boss on turn one) and Neon (channel 9 plasma in a single turn). Both are going to require annoyingly specific setups (apparently for Neon I need at least one Meteor Strike, an Echo form and either Snecko Eye, a Snecko Potion or the Snecko fight? Eep) and I'm not sure I can be arsed right now. But the game isn't going anywhere, is it. I'll be back.

Anyway I think the point of all this is that I absolutely love the way they've approached the achievements in this. It's about doing mad, and often maddening, specific shit that you really need to build for, and to get lucky in the process of building - but that often have multiple angles of potential approach and enough leeway for them to still be doable if RNG doesn't go your way. Marvellous stuff.  

Good game, this, isn't it.

I've started playing this recently. Finished the third act with all the characters and now I'm trying to beat the fourth. Playing a lot of Watcher at the moment. Keep getting some really good bouts of luck and then I'll make a stupid mistake and end my run because I didn't calculate lethal properly or gambled on one of the three cards I needed not being at the bottom of the draw pile.

Most interesting run recently was one where I decided to do the event that trades half your max HP for a bunch of intangible cards. Then, I ran into the event that took away your ability to heal (at all) in exchange for upgrading every card in my deck. It was working great for a while, but I made a couple of errors in the third act and wandered around with 1HP for a while, finally falling because I couldn't draw intangible at the right time.

I need to make leaner decks. I understand the value in taking bad cards out, but I'm only just starting to appreciate that maybe adding a new card every battle is not always the best choice.

And there goes You Are Nothing, the achievement for killing a boss on turn one. 

Came together quite quickly in the end (the early Akabeko sending me looking for Whirlwind which showed up in the next store, right next to Flex) but only became a reality later on. Went into the act two boss with an energy, duplication and vulnerable potion but didn’t get the draw I needed first turn.

Sacred Bark from the boss doubled the effectiveness of potions. I had a chance! I had a very nice act 3 route with no elites, several bonfires and three shops. Then picked up peace pipe which made whittling the deck a breeze, and a late battle trance for insurance (which I didn’t actually need by the end as I went into the boss with six cards). Donu and Deca went down with a couple of hits to spare. 

Just Neon left to go. It’ll probably take me months. 

9C1AD7D2-6C2B-4079-AEB2-80193A01876D.jpeg

15 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

And there goes You Are Nothing, the achievement for killing a boss on turn one. 

Came together quite quickly in the end (the early Akabeko sending me looking for Whirlwind which showed up in the next store, right next to Flex) but only became a reality later on. Went into the act two boss with an energy, duplication and vulnerable potion but didn’t get the draw I needed first turn.

Sacred Bark from the boss doubled the effectiveness of potions. I had a chance! I had a very nice act 3 route with no elites, several bonfires and three shops. Then picked up peace pipe which made whittling the deck a breeze, and a late battle trance for insurance (which I didn’t actually need by the end as I went into the boss with six cards). Donu and Deca went down with a couple of hits to spare. 

Just Neon left to go. It’ll probably take me months. 

9C1AD7D2-6C2B-4079-AEB2-80193A01876D.jpeg

Can you explain how you beat the boss on turn one? I have been looking at this for ages trying to figure it out! Did you just duplicate the seeing red, that would take you to 7 energy, then use the energy potion, that would take you to 11.... How do you generate enough damage from whats left?

10 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Can you explain how you beat the boss on turn one? I have been looking at this for ages trying to figure it out! Did you just duplicate the seeing red, that would take you to 7 energy, then use the energy potion, that would take you to 11.... How do you generate enough damage from whats left?

Only played Flex and Limit Break once. Used the duplication potion on Whirlwind. Think it was 8 energy, 20 damage per hit, played twice for 320 AOE in total.

Finally beat the Heart as Watcher. The problem before had always been how to survive the first few rounds of very heavy hits. I only had a single Talk to the Hand+ to help with with that this time around, but my divinity deck was earning 7 mantra per turn for near constant triple damage, and a timely Vault helped delay things just enough that I didn't have to take too many hits before I could dish out enough pain. In the end it was a very easy battle. Now I can work on the ascensions!

20200824120953_1.thumb.jpg.e6d13e907d8ecb78f74d3ecc85ea1632.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’d got this on Switch earlier this year and found it really hard. Managed one complete Ironclad run in thirty hours. 

Picked up up again a few days back and something has definitely clicked... completed a handful of Ironclad runs and now tackling Ascension 2 (nearly did it too, just made a couple of stupid moves late on). And just tried first run with The Silent and did it first time. 

Think I was focusing too much previously on trying to get what looked like “powerful” cards rather than thinking more about keeping the deck to a reasonable size and culling/declining cards if they didn’t fit.