Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

5 hours ago, smac said:

Bunch of different strategies out there.

Simple one is to cycle a lot of lightning attacks through; there are a lot of cards to invoke lightning incidentally, on playing a power, taking damage, etc. So keep your slot count low and make sure each invocation triggers an orb use. Recursion is better than Dual Wield.

Another is to turtle with a lot of frost orbs, then invoke a single dark orb. Leave that to develop into a killing amount of damage before cycling it into play. This can benefit from increasing orb slots for more defence, as you aren't trying to cycle orbs through so much.

Focus escalation is your friend. I tend to keep orbs cycling, but that's not great for dark orb decks.

The difficulty I've had while trying to let a dark orb stack up its power, is that I'll just end up evoking it because I need to channel frost to withstand the damage, as their passive damage isn't enough on its own for certain turns. 

I mean the answer I guess might be trying to get more block from cards alone, while letting dark build up. I'm still learning Defect though. 

15 minutes ago, cowfields said:

The difficulty I've had while trying to let a dark orb stack up its power, is that I'll just end up evoking it because I need to channel frost to withstand the damage, as their passive damage isn't enough on its own for certain turns. 

I mean the answer I guess might be trying to get more block from cards alone, while letting dark build up. I'm still learning Defect though. 

At least one Recursion is pretty important if you want to play dark orbs. 

Yeah, the recursed Orb retains the same 'charge' as the invoked one, right?

Isn't there a card that triggers the passive effect of all dark orbs, too?

47 minutes ago, smac said:

Yeah, the recursed Orb retains the same 'charge' as the invoked one, right?

Isn't there a card that triggers the passive effect of all dark orbs, too?

I did not realise this. 

I put it on fast mode recently as I figured I didn't need the animations but I think it's made me worse at the game, as its taken away a bit of observation and thinking time. 

I don't think I've ever built a deck around dark orbs. Defect to me is lightning and frost orbs and that's it, really. I've never bothered with the Claw stuff either, though it seems kinda fun. 

I like a dark Orb for scaling against the act 2 bosses, particularly Champ as you can let it cook for quite a while before the split. Loop is really good for cooking them faster, and multi cast can be absolutely absurd with it. Extra orb slots and some chunky frost orbs can help you sit on your dark orb for longer too. Or you can used reinforced body and other chunky block cards just to buy a couple more turns of cookage. 

I think they work better as one of your damage sources rather than trying to make your whole deck about them, but ideally your deck should be able to do more than one thing anyway. 

I played a bit of Monster Train, it's this game with some tower defence type concepts, so of course I enjoy it. I feel it might actually end up being better once I've got my head around it. 

But until it comes out on switch this one remains my addiction. 

I like Monster Train, needs some interface polish and needs to explain itself a bit better but it’s a lot of fun. Could also do with more enemy variety. I don’t think it’s quite the 1000 hour video gaming crack  addiction that Spire is but it’s definitely one of the better Spire-likes. And yeah, a Switch port or even controller support would be a huge improvement. 

Second Ironclad A20 Heart kill!

This was a hell of a lot easier than the first one. Early dead branch but didn't get Corruption til late on. Before that though, I had two Offerings and Seeing Red+ so I could do Dead Branch things anyway. Apparitions were the real MVP though. Having to fight The Heart with 47 Max HP wasn't ideal but I'd never have got there without them, I put together most of the really busted stuff in late act 2 and 3, and before that I basically couldn't block. Then there was early membership card allowing for some excellent purchases. Clockwork Souvenir for 75 gold in particular.  Essentially all of the cheap stuff in one glorious run. I think I deserve it after more deaths than I could possibly tell you about.

106564213_2662004364123482_5408283157517550608_n.jpg

106254809_634960157105629_148053918918373017_n.jpg

Overall A20 Heart Kill tally is now:

Ironclad 2

Silent 2

Defect 0

Watcher 0

Annoyingly, The Defect has been to the heart the most times but I've never quite got it done. Watcher made a quick climb to Ascension 20 but I haven't played her much since, got a bit burnt out and I generally find her to be the least fun to play of the four. I still want to do it at least once with her though.

I've been going up the Acensions fairly evenly with all 4 characters. This was my favourite run so far:

image.png.3b563a921f23653754704cbf29e53c73.png

The Ritual Dagger I managed to get up to around 50 damage and kept Exhuming it on Time Bastard. Felt like a really lean and effective deck too. Those Curse based relics were completely useless in the end.

I’ve played this on and off since launch on the Switch, and recently double dipped on ios.

Just had my first ever win making it thru on defect - I never had enough attacking or shielding power but just got a perfect run and card set going, the best being a relic which doubled my first attack costing 2 or more, dealing huge damage.

Despite clearly being crap at this I never once gave up or stopped playing and am quite chuffed at my ‘win’

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

Ah the Necronomicon. Excellent relic. Pair with Heavy Blade on Ironclad for hilarity.

i meant ironclad, struggle with the names for things. That was it, heavy blade and some other attack that did 28-30 damage which got doubled up.

i felt OP as had high yielding defence cards too for good blocking

Yeah Necronomicon is a real good time. I always go heavy on question marks when routing Act 2 because it's so powerful.

I got my 6yo playing this on Switch, partly because I'm fed up of him talking about Pokemon all the time but also because it's basically a big maths quiz in which you also get to hit things and thus sits in the centre of the Venn diagram of things he enjoys. He normally dies on Act 2 – he avoids elites and rests at pretty much every campfire, which is fair enough given his age and experience but I'm writing him out of the will anyway. He's only made it to Act 3 once, but got all the way to Awakened One. Quite proud honestly. 

He's also got me back into it a bit, climbing ascensions with Silent on iPad. I know I moaned about the iPhone version but it's a treat on a tablet screen, apart from a persistent (and probably user-error) problem with playing cards at the far left of a big hand. Often picks up the wrong one for me. 

I got bored of Monster Train after 30 hours or so, got my money's worth but it never got its hooks in to anywhere near the same extent as this, which I'm pretty sure I'll be playing for the rest of my life.

image.png.75683beea651f6ff4e3b536934c6f19c.png

This Watcher run was lovely. I almost got it down to no Strikes and Defends, but the gambling chip in the shop at the end was too good to pass up. I was playing Wish for gold almost constantly in the final act.

Something in the air, I finally got my first win over the first 3 acts today too. The silent with calipers, several dodge and roll cards and blur works great, you can keep your block building up for several turns in a row to nullify big hits from bosses. 

Restarting on iPad, I've had Act 3 wins much earlier than I did before - just had a great defect win with a Power card/defence card deck. Did the Clock Bastard in 11 turns without taking any damage. No big damage generators - just chipping away with lightning and Dark orbs. had the attack that pulled back all 0 cost cards - great with shield generator costing 0 after 4 power cards were in place.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

EDIT: only to get wrecked in the next fight by Time Bastard because my deck was too bloated.

comedy. I just got to 60 energy against time bastard, which with a power heavy deck and a lot of card draw meant he really didn’t stand a chance.

(I don’t think I’ve had multiple double energies and ice cream before. Only a few hundred hours played).

also capacitor, creative AI, and the relic that gives you more orb slots... utterly broken build.

I've only ever done it with infinite combos. First time was a defect plasma build with unceasing top, and I've also done it with the ironclad using drop kick. I really struggle with that fight if I've got a deck that's slow to ramp up damage.