Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

14 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I actually struggle the least with clock bastard, and the most with awakened one, as his strength gets going so quickly.

Same, keep an eye on his count of cards played and I find him easy to beat.

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I actually struggle the least with clock bastard, and the most with awakened one, as his strength gets going so quickly.

Yeah, I agree, Clock Sucker is probably the one I find the easiest at A20 with all characters. Awakened One is scary, but doable, but the huge block demands from turn one with Deca and Donu probably make them hardest for me, unless I'm playing Silent, who can block for days.

This was a fun one:

20200129143111_1.thumb.jpg.6e9e2c8d6782f56b50fe45051871781a.jpg

And they say you should keep your deck small, etc. Once again the early Mummified Hand defined the run, was pretty much about hoovering up powers from then on. Strong contender for best relic in the game imo, and certainly up there for best energy relic. 

However The Courier was also v important (refreshes merchant stock when you buy something, with a 20% discount). I thought that, when you bought something, it replaced it with something else. For relics this is obviously true because you can only have one of each of them. But I guess it doesn't do that with cards, because I bought the four Footworks in a row. Combine that with Mummified Hand, then throw in what that much Dex does to the Nightmare/Intangible combo, and you've got something pretty nuts. Should have gone for the heart really but the final chest offered me Dead Branch and I clicked on it hungrily before realising my error. The late Branch almost killed me as well, I had like 60 cards in my deck by the end of the act 3 boss because every time a Shiv exhausted it gave me some other muck. 

5 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Not sure if you know but his strength gains happen any time you play a power and therefore only play powers that are worth his buff or save them for once he is... awakened, as he then loses the buff that grants further stacks

47 minutes ago, Darren said:

I can only look on with awe and admiration at all these high ascension wins. I'm feeling pleased with myself because I just managed ascension 3 (Ironclad).

Give yourself a big pat on the back cos IMO any ascension win is an achievement not to be sniffed at. 

First defect heart kill, though only ascension 1.

First three relics: turnip, mummified hand, meat on the bone.

clearly going to be a 26 relic heavy power deck (two creative ai and an innate storm) then.

And then I got everything: black star, data disk, fossilised helix, dead branch, an upgraded apothesis...

I thought I’d screwed up my heart chance by mispicking a relic rather than the sapphire key out of a chest halfway through an act. Then got to the end of the act and realised it was still only act two. My hand was *that* overpowered (3/9 elites dead without taking damage, 1 boss...).

just need to win with the silent, then back to climbing the ascensions.

It's incredibly frustrating when you've got a great deck but just do something a little silly which totally fucks up your shit. I've had a few runs where I have almost one turn where I concentrate on I dunno, poison as silent but then realise I've not given myself any defence. 

Or you start a round against the elite where it's the three humanoid characters and they rinse all your life in the first turn and you're nowhere near a campsite. 

All silly things on my part but that's the frustration :(

So I guess I figured out how to do a Wrath deck with The Watcher.

pBotFFo.jpg

Super fun run. Start off with the 250 gold bonus in exchange some damage. Immediately pick up Molten Egg from the first shop, so I guess I'm taking Attack cards from this point. Very quickly end up with 2 x Reach Heaven, so Act 1 is now just about not taking too much damage until the 0-cost, 40 damage Wrath-boosted Through Violence cards come out. 

Relic for the first boss is Black Star, so fuck it, now we're hunting Elites too. Somewhere along the way I pick up the relic that lets you take +2 max HP instead of taking a card, so that, plus multiple Sash Whips make it so Block is now a dirty word. Inflicting weak and healing up is my savior now.

Four upgraded Ragnaroks and far too many useful Elite relics later, job done. Ended the run at 126 maximum health. I do like this character a lot.

Beat ascension 2 with poison guy, it was tricky because I had the clock guy and my deck was based on playing loads of cards but managed to rack up enough poison on him before he got too strong. 

Probably would've won if you'd managed to spend all that gold you'd amassed.

TBH that's probably just desserts for having more than one accuracy in your deck.

Mummified Hand and Bird-Faced Urn though, no such thing as too many powers. If we're doing shivs, we might as well do shivs. Shame I didn't see Kunai.

Oh god, if I'd played one less power on turn one when I was at full health...

35 minutes ago, smac said:

...of failure, in my case.

45 minutes ago, imp said:

I just noticed the tragedy of getting Omamori after Calling Bell! God I love this game, even glancing at a line of icons tells a story.

That must read as arcane text to anyone who ain't ever played the game. Though that's the same with the entire thread I expect. 

Sorry for the quoting mess up everyone. 

Ha the anti-synergy stuff is brutal sometimes.

Had one run where I'd taken ectoplasm and got the Old Coin afterwards, *then* got the event where you have to bet on the joust. With ectoplasm it's an event that simply takes your money. I thought I might as well go for the worse odds/higher prize option because why the hell not. Then I won the bastard bet and I didn't get any of the gold and I got sad.

The moment I realised that money stolen by thieves would not be returned upon their defeat if you had ectoplasm was when I was simultaneously most in awe of and murderously angry at the devs. 

Today's daily is a nice palate cleanser if you are, like me, struggling your way through the Ascensions.

Turns out Clock Sucker is pretty simple when you can hold your whole deck in your hand, generate 8+ energy a turn, block persists between turns and you have two Backflips so you can recur cards at will.

Finally, after 11 runs and two failures on bosses...

20200203211718_1.thumb.jpg.54ad2c1dceab9bb2e9aa77f7d2933d27.jpg

Watcher is done.  Got a little lucky with the strike/defend upgrade event and using a flex potion on Donu with wraith, a lot of smites and a decently upgraded ritul dagger.  I'm more glad it is out the way than anything. Found it hard to get into a build (like strength on Ironclad or posion on Silent).  Never managed a pressure point run, or a real mantra run.  Did have a decent attempt at a stance change deck with flurry of blows.  Sadly Time Eater said hi and I couldn't burn them down fast enough.

At least Watcher eats the first floor, especially the slime boss who gets murdered under wrath.  Time to play some other classes again.

Hah, just had a roller-coaster Silent run where I scraped past the Giant Head with 2HP left, then monstered the Awakened One a few floors later, then got splatted by the Heart in Act 4 in a couple of rounds. Love this game.

The Heart is rough on shiv decks, mind.

Defect has a lot going on, almost too much.

I really like the free damage/block/utility orb system, but it doesn't seem to scale very well and I've seen very few focus boosting cards/relics, am I supposed to be doing it on orb numbers?

Also I ran into clock wanker for the first time and see why people hate him, although that Reptomancer elite has ended more runs for me than anyone else.

There are cards/relics to boost slots, but making sure you're constantly cycling through your orbs can also be useful; a bunch of empty slots is no use.

Focus boost can be had by orb slot sacrifice, too - so there are a couple of card/relic combos for that. Then there's cycling - for lightning, there are combos to auto-channel Lightning when you take damage, so you end up constantly damaging your opponents on their turn.

Or there's dark orbs - get one of those growing away for a while and you can single-kill a lot of bad guys, and with recursion bring the same orb back into play.