rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Ascension 1 is totally kicking my butt with the ironclad. I've done the act 3 finish with everyone bar the watcher so went back to the ironclad. 

Doesn't it say the ascensions also get harder as you win, or does the game mean per each ascension?

I've had some annoyingly good decks but then some weird combo of drawn cards or going into a particular fight too weak kept skanking me. 

Might try the defect again, just one more go...

2 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Doesn't it say the ascensions also get harder as you win, or does the game mean per each ascension?

Per ascension.

The Ascension difficulty modifiers stack on top of each other. 

So for Ascension 1 you get more elites. 

Ascension 2 you get more damaging regular enemies *and* more elites.

Then they keep stacking up to 20, at which point you'll have 20 difficulty modifiers added to the game. 

Do I need to finish regular act 3 with each character to get act 4? Just wondering what the strange emblem was, that I saw after completing it the first time.. 

Can't wait for android version! 

11th run and now a victory (?) with the ironclad to go with the defect!

It seemed very unlikely at one point, it looked like certain death against the fucking bronze automaton but I had a potion which exhausted every card in the hand, dealing damage to every enemy for each one and I pretty much had a full hand. I figured, 'Well, I'm dead anyway, might as well drop a nuke on the way out' but had totally forgotten the artifact I had that gained me block for each exhausted card. Massive damage to him and just enough block for me to survive the turn and then scrape the win by the skin of my teeth.

Not knowing the game very well yet I was a bit wary of taking the runic dome but since just being alive felt like a bonus I decided to give it a spin. Having quite a defensive deck where I was often dealing damage for gaining block it actually wasn't a problem at all until the third floor boss, the time eater who I'd never seen before and had no idea what his deal was. No real choice but to keep trying to play to that deck's strengths and hope it worked, which thankfully it did!

• Upvote 3

Man, that's incredible - fighting Time Keeper for the first ever time, with Runic Dome so you're totally unaware of what he does and actually winning! Superb!

• Upvote 1

I've always been too scared to take Runic Dome. It feels like a recipe for avoidable disaster.

• Upvote 1

I tried runic dome once.

I need to knows what they are planning too much to ever even try that again. 

So the Ascension modifiers stack. No one A5 is handing me my ass.  I was reading each one as an individual one. 

Mind you 200hrs of playtime and I only noticed last night that when you get preserved insect the elites get modified so their all wee. 

After a couple of near misses where I felt much more powerful I got a win with the silent that was weirdly comfortable in the end, even had a nice double strength fairy in the bank which went unused.

The watcher seems tricky, is it maybe better to try and do act 4 with the others then go back to that?

Last night's A5 run saw me get to act 3 with a nice slim deck of 24 cards. It was all going swimmingly as well till time twat. Just didn't have the block or attack scaling I needed and i lost with both of us on 22 health after he'd done his super heal as well.

So close. 

Do people consider replaying a particular seed as cheating?

I would like to get an A20 Heart Kill, and maybe the only way I will do that is to find a friendly seed.

I have replayed one several times where Apotheosis was given in the first reward. However no energy relic at end of Act 1 so it seems pretty much impossible.

Well, the option is there for a reason, but replaying the same seed will only teach you so much about the game. I think part of the fun of the experience is not knowing how you'll be tested on each run, so learning to play by making choices that will propel you through to the end without relying on foreknowledge or expectation of what might come your way is important.

EDIT: Check out Jorbs' video on Nemesis vs Optimal players, which is a very in depth look into styles of play in the game. Nemesis-style play only really makes sense in context of replaying a seed as it's the only way you'll get that knowledge.

On 21/01/2020 at 12:57, robdood said:

Do I need to finish regular act 3 with each character to get act 4?

Spoiler

Yes. But there's more to it. This gives you access to three keys, but you then need to:

Spoiler

Collect all three keys in a single run - you have to choose a key instead of a reward in one each of: any rest stop; any non-boss treasure chest; an especially tough Elite encounter (look for the elite shown in flames on the map).

So the run is made harder because you have to give up on an upgrade and a relic, and have to fight a tougher elite.

• Upvote 1

Page two! Unacceptable. 

Realised the other day that by ignoring Defect and Watcher I had an incomplete relic pool. And I’ve been getting a bit bored of the other two so figured it was time I branched out. Got all of Defect’s unlocks and my word that’s a fun character. 

Working my way through the ascensions, figured I’d ignore the heart until I’d got my head round the character. But my A3 clear last night stomped through act 3 to such an extent that I could probably have taken it on. Resolved to give it a go whenever I next felt like I had the deck for it. 

That ended up happening on the very next run. Took 250 gold and a curse from Neko, first store gave me membership card and mummified hand, and I knew I’d be picking up every power I was offered. Turns out Defect has some pretty sweet powers. Got frozen egg off an act 1 elite and a couple of white noise+ and that was that. Just played all my cards and laughed. The heart barely stood a chance. 

My 6yo was watching me, went to a store and he asked why I was ignoring Kunai because I almost always take it. ‘I’m not sure we’re going to need to hit anything, son.’ So it proved. 

Not sure if I‘ve mentioned it before, but this game is very good. 

• Upvote 5

On 21/01/2020 at 12:33, b00dles said:

Ascension 1 is totally kicking my butt with the ironclad. 

I hear you brother. I've found it so hard and have my ass handed to me, a few times I've had a good deck only to crash out after an unlucky draw. The head in particular screwed me over a few times. I started getting worse after a while! 

No success for me this week. Not one win all weekend either. Yet still I return. 

33 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I hear you brother. I've found it so hard and have my ass handed to me, a few times I've had a good deck only to crash out after an unlucky draw. The head in particular screwed me over a few times. I started getting worse after a while! 

I can't even get silent or the ironclad to act 4 after loads of attempts and all their unlocks done at the moment :(

I've unlocked ascension 2 for the defect but got totally murdered on the act 4 boss. Do those of you that have finished a run concentrate on accessing further ascensions because I'm pretty much trying to get all three keys on every run rather than ignoring them if I might think it isn't going well? I don't just grab the keys at first opportunity but I always attempt to get them at some point, or plan a route with a camp that I'll be rested enough at to get ther ruby key for instance. 

Is this a silly way of doing it?

I cleared ascension 20 with ironclad before even trying the heart but I’m not sure it was the ‘right’ thing to do because then you’re starting with the a20 heart which is a hell of a way of taking the stabilisers off. 

If you’re still early on I’d focus on just working your way up the ascensions, then if you get to act three and feel like you’re having one of those special runs then go for the keys.

I see. I've been trying to go for the keys on earlier acts as I thought I'd need the rest more later and the elites would be easier than a later act one powered up. 

I might try the ascensions a bit more first to see if it's less continually soul destroying :)

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I cleared ascension 20 with ironclad before even trying the heart but I’m not sure it was the ‘right’ thing to do because then you’re starting with the a20 heart which is a hell of a way of taking the stabilisers off. 

If you’re still early on I’d focus on just working your way up the ascensions, then if you get to act three and feel like you’re having one of those special runs then go for the keys.

That's the best way to go IMO. I've never bothered with thinking about tackling the heart until at least mid-Act 2.

I beat the heart once on A1 with Silent, and then never again until A20 with any character. Well, except the Watcher, I went for the heart a few times with her.

I think the best way is to leave keys until the later acts, with a few exceptions:

Green Key - Usually you'll want to wait late in the game for this as if you've made it to act 3 you're likely going to be much more powerful than acts 1 or 2. However, sometimes a run comes together really early if you get an OP relic or card combo, so if you're strong enough to take out the super elite early, and it's on a favourable branch of the map, I say go for it. I usually take it out in act 3, but have to compromise my pathing because of that. Also, if you can take it out in act 1 using neow's gift, sometimes that's worth chasing.

Blue Key - Usually best to wait till act three as having an extra common relic from act 1 all the way through to the end of the game is usually more valuable than even a rare relic for the last few floors. Fuck ceramic fish though, definitely take the Key over that. Or any anti-synergy relic. Oh, also fuck bottled flame 99% of the time.

Red Key - Usually best to wait till the end as like the blue key situation, a good card upgrade (or any other action at a rest site) is going to offer more value over the course of the run than just taking the red key early because you can. Sometimes you might not have any cards that are worth upgrading though, and I think it's smart consider getting it earlier in the hope you pick up a card worth upgrading before the next bonfire.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Delargey said:

Just beat it. I had the clock guy as the boss and a demonform so just waited a few rounds before I started playing cards. I think I would have been screwed if it was any other boss because I pretty much had no way of blocking.

Aha! Fuck you, you total bastard!

Spoiler

Done the Heart! 

Capturests2.thumb.PNG.45f0ed93bc9095615c46e2ae666a72a9.PNG

I never ever take Perfected Strike and kinda shrugged and thought fuck it on this run.... played out lovely.

• Upvote 2

Woop! woop! 

I just did it as well, first time getting to the heart with the ironclad as well. Just managed to totally scrape through it thanks to a ludicrous amount of strength multipliers in the end. 

One of the most satisfying bits was finishing off the act 3 boss with an anger card that was multiplied up to 54 damage. Mwaa haa haaa. 

20200129_001704.jpg

• Upvote 1

I fucking love this game.  Great run with The Ironclad for my first victory with him, had an amazing combo of a couple of limit break+'s, inflames and heavy blades/+.  So brutal. 

Ended up with some sick relics too, the amount of heals I was getting for free was insane.  

Was a bit nervous it was all about to go wrong on the act 3 boss but then.. :D

omgTehStrength.thumb.jpg.e1f8ecaa7630dc78538250883187adcc.jpg

41 minutes ago, robdood said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=62b8fe667a507c83imageproxy.php?img=&key=62b8fe667a507c83imageproxy.php?img=&key=62b8fe667a507c83omgTehStrength.thumb.jpg.e1f8ecaa7630dc78538250883187adcc.jpg

Those two are so much easier than the clock bastard, it's almost cheating. Not that I ever complain when I see them of course 8-)