rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

I had an crazy run - first relic was Charons Ashes (3 damage to all enemies for every card exhausted). This was rapidly followed by Dead Branch then a Corruption card. To make sure I also got Smiling Mask (card removal always costs 50 gold) just to keep my deck nice and slim. I then filled my deck with good skill cards and just destroyed everything. Boy is that combo OP'ed. 

Started playing this today. What a delightfully enjoyable game. Perfect amount of random chance mixed with strategy. Lovely. 

I wish I could play it on my phone in bed :(

Fshmuksfsmsuklsmmusfuskcks

Finally got to Act 3 boss, had him on the ropes then his timer thing gave me about four seconds to play before going “no, my turn” and killed me before I could play my blocks. 

EDIT: ooohhhhhhh, it’s based on cards played not a timer :doh:

Every time I think I’ve got it another mechanic eases its way in

I’ve not played a game that simultaneously makes you feel really smart and really fucking stupid. I will beat this fucker one day. 

• Upvote 1

I’m trying to get the achievement for finishing the game in sub 20 minutes. I had two runs on the spin yesterday where I got Immolate in act one and got to the final boss in 15 minutes. Both times I thought my time had finally come, but you just can’t rush the act three bosses. I got done in both times. Getting closer though! Onwards. 

52 minutes ago, Dan chambers said:

How is the Switch version does it run ok now after I presume it has been patched?

The switch version is great. The initial kinks got ironed out within the first month IIRC. The only thing is it’s a bit behind the PC version in terms of balance and content, and I doubt it’ll catch up for at least a month, if not longer. 

2 minutes ago, Dan chambers said:

How is the Switch version does it run ok now after I presume it has been patched?

I got the game a few weeks back for the Switch and it plays totally fine.

The big 2.0 update (which includes the new character) is only out on PC atm, it's expected to reach consoles following a 'small delay'.

HTH

Does anyone have any advice for this? I've done about 40 runs and struggling to get past act 2. I'm managing to come up with some small scale synergies but struggling to come up with anything mind-blowing. I love the game to bits but really feel like I need a completed run at this point or I might go insane! 

Thanks for any help. 

FYI I'm playing as Ironclad

I've also managed silent act 3 finish but the defect has almost so many possible strategies I keep struggling to consistently focus on one or another. 

The balancing and options in this are bloody phenomenal. It's like, I dunno, rock, paper, scissors but then also guns, swords, poison, siege equipment, using attrition, nuclear bombs, jet fighters and submarines all in one game. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Dan chambers said:

Thanks for your help never played it before but seems the Switch is the ideal platform.

I've got it on Switch, Xbox and Steam but the Switch version has had over 90% of my time. 

1 hour ago, grungekid said:

Does anyone have any advice for this? I've done about 40 runs and struggling to get past act 2. I'm managing to come up with some small scale synergies but struggling to come up with anything mind-blowing. I love the game to bits but really feel like I need a completed run at this point or I might go insane! 

Thanks for any help. 

I'm not an expert by any definition but I've had success as ironclad focussing on strength bolstering e.g. inflame/flex etc. (and Demon Form?).

With silent I had a win (depending on your definition of win) with a similar strategy for bulking up poison.   I am a streak of wet turd when using the Defect - managed to fluke a win once.

Spoiler

I should say I've not managed to complete Act 4 or done any ascensions for anyone yet)

1 hour ago, grungekid said:

Thanks for any help. 

General tips.

1. Don't build a deck focused on one thing. As the game progresses you'll need the deck to do different things. A good Act Three Card may not be a good Act One card.

2. Orange Pellets! This relic and judicious use of debuffs is essential IMO.

3. Focus on having enough block, and let the damage tick away.

4. Don't take cards just because they're offered - the best move for your deck, after a point, is often to skip a pick-up.

5. Don't forget you have potions (amazing how often that gets overlooked).

6. A 0 cost card does have a cost. It's stopping another card appearing in its place. They can be very useful and have a lot of strategy built around them, but don't fall into the trap of taking them because you may be able to play more cards in a given turn.

7. Loosely-related, Snecko Eye and a load of 2+ cards is always worth it.

After Act 1, a relic that gives you energy gain is a must. Snecko Eye kinda counts for that.

'Card draw' is useful in many ways (card draw being potions, card and relics that draw more cards) - it gives you more choices to play with your energy; it cycles through your deck quicker, allowing you to get all of your powers in play; it allows you to recover from a bad hand (all defence or all attack at the wrong time in your opponent's cycle); it allows you to mitigate one effect of unplayable effects/curses (that of taking up useful space in a draw); it allows you to have a larger deck (and is useful for Fiend Fire).

Don't underestimate the power of being able to choose the cards in your hand/in the next hand; deck manipulation is useful in  the right place (Headbutt allows you to play a card, play headbutt, and have the first card reappear in the next hand).

Discarding opening strikes (and to a lesser extent defends) makes your deck stronger - unless you want them for Fiend Fire fodder. So use the Remove card option at the trader/in random events and not just to remove curses. Also, card removal can be had in your deck through exhaust mechanics, so the good stuff cycles through quicker...

For Ironclad, Strength plus Heavy Blade is awesome. You want an escalator for strength if you can get it - something that increases per turn, or doubles whenever you play it.

Yeah, potions can turn a game. Don't play them too early.

I. Have. Just. Beaten. My. First. Run.

First couple of relics and cards were very attack focused so just went with a strength/aggression build with a couple of useful block cards (and lucked out with the relics that give you block every fight and turn). And yeah, defeated clock dude with about 50 health remaining

what a game. What. A. Game. 

• Upvote 3

And @grungekid I feel your pain. Seriously, just keep plugging away and learning. Just got my first win after nearly 25 hours

Feels good. 

6th run (2 with each character) and I just did my first run! Robot dude lucked out with cards and relics, I was felt overpoweredaf going to the last fight, thought in the ned I just about scraped through thanks to a fairy in a bottle and the frankly ludicrous claw cards, which were doing 40+ damage each by the end of that battle! 

Great game :wub:

A4 fell with Ironclad on Xbox. Then did A3 Ironclad  on Switch the same afternoon. 

A5 first run commencing now. 

I bought this a couple of days ago, got my first victory with the defect on the fourth run. I actually felt way more powerful in the previous run I'd done with him and got lucky with two fairy bottles that time around. I'm pretty much shite with the other classes so far, having gone back to them.

Superb game.

One thing I've wondered on occasion though: is there something like a combat log anywhere? Reasonably often things don't play out quite how I expect them to and it'd be really useful to be able to go back and try to figure out what happened, if I missed an effect or buff/debuff or whatever.

Yup - there's a complete history of every run. You see something like this in Run History in the compendium (I think):

FirstHeartbreakerDeck.thumb.jpg.e015aed6442cddb4f0430400105e6576.jpg

You can highlight every icon in the route (that's the set of icons under the Score:1125 above), and it will tell you what happened there, what cards were offered and taken.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I've just had a look and it doesn't seem to quite be what I was after unless I'm missing something? I was meaning more what happens on specific turns. Those times where you're like 'How did I take damage there?' etc.

Ah, I don't know - PC version might have a detailed log available somewhere. I know the devs balanced the game by receiving detailed logs, so they are created. It's whether you can get to them after the fact.

Just had my first ever go at a daily and did it on the first attempt!  Buzzingaf tbh :wub: what a blimmin satisfying game.   

SO MANY RELICS

1stChallenge.thumb.jpg.46ecc70df493aec573f5a70665f75a82.jpg

1stChallengeB.thumb.jpg.90a3bc94cdcff44d0243b8c45f0ee39c.jpg

• Upvote 2

Reading the above, I must have done pretty well to beat Act 3 on my first ever run!

Got this on Game Pass on Thursday night and loved it, lost my entire evening on Friday to it (without managing another successful run, definitely a case of beginner's luck), and bought it on Switch on Saturday morning.

I've now managed wins with the opening 3 characters, going forward am I best going after Act 4 on the default before doing the ascensions? I managed to get to Act 4 with the Ironclad, but just got destroyed immediately with my completely glass cannon build - I think I ended with 2 upgraded Demon Forms and 2 upgraded Limit Breaks, but very little in the way of blocks. 

Anyone had an issue on Switch with the game not recording your run history in the statistics?

My game doesn't seem to have kept a record of any of my runs since 16th January...

2 hours ago, robdood said:

Just had my first ever go at a daily and did it on the first attempt!  Buzzingaf tbh :wub: what a blimmin satisfying game.   

SO MANY RELICS

Well played! Really felt like I was going to do this too, I felt mega powerful and the relics were dropping like confetti. I breezed through everything then it turned out what I had wasn't suited to the collector at all.

I'm guessing my first real order of business should probably be trying to learn the bosses a bit better and choosing pickups based more what's at the end of the floor I'm on rather than just taking what seems generally useful.

14 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

going forward am I best going after Act 4 on the default before doing the ascensions?

Nah, if you want to beat act 4 ascension 1 is actually easier - there are more elites, which means more relics, which means a better chance at the endgame.

But the endgame is its own challenge, and not going anywhere. I certainly wouldn't suggest getting bogged down in it over progressing through the ascensions.

• Upvote 1