rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Ok I watched some Jorbs and it helped MASSIVELY. Managed to get to Act 3, and only lost cause of not drawing into damage vs Exploders and then accidentally going down a path into an Elite. Millions of mistakes, but definitely progress.

Is it much harder with the silent than the ironclad, or am I just not very good?

Also, what is the point of the nightmare card? 3 mana, to get three copies of a card next round. I cant think of any good uses for it, except the card that doubles/triples poison. 

plenty of things work well with nightmare, three copies of wraith form or an apparition, or footwork, or even something like cloak and dagger. can be excellent if you've got snecko too.

Beta art has been added for about 60% of the Watcher's card pool now, so should make playing a bit easier. A few extra balance tweaks too. Personally, I've really started to enjoy the character, had an insane streak of winning A5-10 without dropping a single run. Now I'm on A11 though I'm having to recalculate a bit!

Got my second win on my 20th run with Ironclad :). Watching a couple of Jorbs' overexplained runs helped so much. I think the most crucial thing I took from it is the concept of scaling damage and how important that is for the boss fights.

Up to A14 with the Watcher and just went infinite for the first time.

20190918132648_1.thumb.jpg.88705b468bf1923571c636087897b6d5.jpg

Note the pocket watch - Woke Bloke died on the same turn that he resurrected!

Been watching a fair bit of Jorbs playing the new character, and he seems to go infinite all the time, sometimes by accident. I'd never managed it before, but it relies on the adaptation, a power that draws a card when you switch stances, a cheap way to enter calm stance (like fear no evil, as above) and a cheap way to exit calm, which gives you two energy (empty fist, mind and body are all fine, but now eruption upgrades to only costing one energy you can deal much more damage using that. You also need a way to thin out your deck if it's grown too large - blessing (rare) is ideal as it can turn any number of currently cards into miracles, which then exhaust. It won't be possible to pull off every run, but seems common enough that I'd imagine the devs will try and remove it from the game, as going infinite too easily will make the character quite boring to play in the long run.

After being 1 victory in 19, I'm now 5 in 27 :). Improving is pretty darn satisfying! At what point do people start Ascensioning? Feels like maybe I should give it a go..

• Upvote 1

Do iiiit :D 

If you can win at Ascension 0 then you can win at 1-5 no problem, plus you’ll improve as you go. The difficulty noticeably jumps roughly every 5 levels. 

Hmmm. Just had a satisfying Silent run - no real stellar combos, I was just able to pull out enough defence or debuff to make it through some long-ass combats. Card draw seemed to be the key, plus the tongs artifact helped by upgrading a card per turn.

Went into the final battle with the Clock Bastard on 40 HP, and only lost 15 throughout. I managed to deal with the limitation by playing a lot of cards each turn.

Edit: yeah, I have the defence I started out with, plus blur, after image, Cloak and Dagger and Deflect - it's that extra card draw ensuring I got footwork out several times.

SilentRun.thumb.jpg.7f4f28282f321c331b53df0503044de6.jpg

Also:

How do you get that final piece of the key? Am I missing something? I can get two pieces reliably, by beating a special elite and recalling at a fire, but have never seen the third one.

The sapphire key appears on treasure chest floors. When you open the chest you have the option of taking the relic or taking the key instead.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, JLM said:

Do iiiit :D 

If you can win at Ascension 0 then you can win at 1-5 no problem, plus you’ll improve as you go. The difficulty noticeably jumps roughly every 5 levels, and hh

I did it! Won my first Ascension 1 run with Silent :D. Do find Silent a touch easier than the other two I think.

• Upvote 1

On 15/09/2019 at 18:10, aubergine said:

plenty of things work well with nightmare, three copies of wraith form or an apparition, or footwork, or even something like cloak and dagger. can be excellent if you've got snecko too.

Ah, I get it now.... three cards in your hand next round, and they stay in your hand. For some reason I thought you got three cards that then disappeared after use!

Stung clock cock with 1,630 poison with three lots of upgraded catalyst :lol:

Yeah, Nightmare + Catalyst = mahooosive poison damage in the next round.

On 18/09/2019 at 23:13, smac said:

Must have missed that option! Ta!

D'oh! I was misinterpreting the text;

I was reading it to mean that taking the relic would remove the shard from you

IF you already had it. Not just remove the option from the choices on the table, i.e it really just means you can pick up the shard or the relic but not both.

So I was looking for the way I could pick up that shard before I got to the chest! :facepalm:

Oh wow, pretty interesting changes today in the beta branch. New uncommon and rare exclusive potions for each character with some pretty cool effects. And poison potions are Silent-only now.

Couple of interesting rare card reworks for the Watcher too. Brilliance now heals for 3(4) per energy as an X cost card now (great to see some sustain for the character) instead of helping you go infinite. Deva form seems kinda crazy in that it will give you an additional energy each turn, and increases this number by 1 every turn. I wonder if this is one of those situations where a card is EXACTLY as powerful as it seems!

Just beat A15 with the Watcher, and I'm feeling fairly prepared for the last bit of the slog to A20.

20190920144904_1.thumb.jpg.7fff3d3f465557a155efc76b76e206d8.jpg20190920145019_1.thumb.jpg.247aa480ddb4f8f7fbe60aafcc89b3ac.jpg

Turns out the new deva form and brilliance combo is crazy. Not quite as OP as demon form and reaper, but for a character that does a decent job blocking anyway, getting 30 or 40 HP back every fight is quite straight forward as long as you aren't being targeted by status spam. 

Adaptation, empty mind and eruption+ is still very potent as well, even with the increased rarity. But the real MVP cards between A10-15 have definitely been worship, devotion and sands of time. Being able to hold the latter until you're ready to unleash hundreds of HP in damage for 0 cost feels awesome. I think she's still going to struggle quite a bit at A20 right now, but I'm optimistic she's going to be a really great character in the long run.

@JLM how are you getting on with her at the moment?

A20 down with the Watcher!

20191008154130_1.thumb.jpg.ed6fd699210f9eaaefea1bb6d02b4dad.jpg

She seems to be in a pretty good place at the moment, although I don't think she's quite ready for prime time yet. She absolutely smashes act I because of her crazy damage output, but by the end of the game she can really struggle. At the end, when enemies have absurd amounts of HP that even her crazy damage can't quite outpace, you spend a lot of time treading water while waiting for the stars to align to allow you your big damage turn in relative safety. Getting out of wrath reliably gets more important as the run goes on, as you can end up leaving a tonne of damage on the table - enemies can easily one shot you for taking the gamble by staying in wrath mode and just hoping for the heart of the cards to provide your solution. I guess the idea is that by the end you're using divinity stance rather than wrath, but seeing this run I didn't get offered a single divinity card, I don't think that's going to be too reliable.

20191008154221_1.thumb.jpg.55e07e9f036b7f39c6eb6f7a8a4f06ef.jpg

Anyway, this deck was pretty fun to play. The Golden Eye relic in combination with foresight meant I was scrying a full 5 cards at the start of every turn, making timing my stance changes much more reliable. The vaults worked fantastically with wish, giving them a little extra time to bump up the plated armour. Wish is just an all round amazing card. I was absolutely loaded by the end of act 3, as I was grabbing an extra 30 gold almost every corridor fight. Cut through fate also seems extremely strong for a damage common - the card draw that you actually can somewhat manipulate is an absolute lifesaver, often giving you that extra block or attack card you need.

Anyway, it's incredible how much more interesting to play she's become since launch. I really enjoy playing her and can even see her usurping the Ironclad as my favourite once the devs have finished tuning her. Funny that, I wasn't really into the idea of stances at all when she came out - seemed like far too much faff in a game where you're usually rewarded for taking all the "medium" cards.

First go with the new one.

20191010214052_1.thumb.jpg.afb16b1ce9393c64db951759cb745d12.jpg

Figured I was toast as I'm not sure I've ever beaten these guys without Corpse Explosion haha. But I just managed to pull it together, though as you can see from the paltry relic count I played it pretty safe throughout.

Watcher is absolutely fascinating, and makes it v clear why they're so comparatively slow at adding new characters. So much going on and that's before any unlocks complicate things even further. I already agree with what imp says above about the importance of getting out of wrath, but I suppose that's what the Retain mechanic is there for. After act one I figured she was the glassiest cannon so far, but act 2 was a good bit slower and act 3 took me an absolute age, requiring a level of patience and thought I didn't think, from the first act, she was going to need.

Anyway, really good fun. What a game!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

8. I’m fine with it. IT’S FINE

Don't sweat it man, you'll get the chance to give it a retroactive 10 in the inevitable best games of 2010-2019 article in a couple months' time, right?

• Upvote 2

Yeah, s'done this since the update. I'm also seeing a 'connection was lost because your switch went to sleep' message that I didn't before.

So I think they've patched in some analytics on the switch.

i get a lot of freezes/lack of responses to keypresses. Dropping it in and out of sleep helps - seems to lose track of joycon inputs.

15 hours ago, imp said:

Don't sweat it man, you'll get the chance to give it a retroactive 10 in the inevitable best games of 2010-2019 article in a couple months' time, right?

At least this time I could say I thought of it first.

15 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

8. I’m fine with it. IT’S FINE

It was a fine score for Prey, but I dunno man, I've had to stop playing Slay the Spire to ensure I don't starve to death. Heroin/10

I watched Jorbs’ recent vid of a dead branch / corruption run on ironclad. I haven’t had one for ages so noted down the seed and fired it up. 

It’s not quite the same. I get the same rare card off the whale, the map is the same, the hallway fights and card choices are too. But the relics aren’t. I get oddly smooth stone from the chest (he gets whetstone i think) and at the moment he gets dead branch, I get sundial. 

I double checked the seed and I definitely got it right. So: 

1. I’m on the beta branch. I assume he would be too for Watcher and buffs/nerfs etc. Regardless, should it make a difference?

2. Oh for fuck’s sake it’s an unlock isn’t it. Which I don’t have yet because I didn’t copy my save over to the beta folder. Ignore me. I shall leave this here as a mark of my idiocy. 

Good game, this.