rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

5 hours ago, jraff said:

So far playing as Watcher really highlights the necessity for card art - lots of complex mechanics + no quick visual association = super slow runs! I might hold off until there is at least beta card art in place for her.

Yeah, agreed, though I've become slightly better at remembering the names now, and it doesn't feel quite as bad any more. Hopefully community sourced beta art comes soon though.

Also flip me, Jorbs just managed his first A20 heart kill with the Watcher (after 16 runs) with the most incredible nonsense infinite combo possible. It relied on such a specific combo of cards and relics that I don't know if it'll ever become "a thing" for her.

As for me, I've become a lot more comfortable with the character, just had a run which was the first time I've ever been comfortable almost up to the act 3 boss. Also tried out alpha, which is absolutely hilarious. It's a one cost skill that shuffles beta into your draw pile. That's a two cost skill that shuffles omega into your draw pile. Omega is a 3 cost power that deals 50 DAMAGE to all enemies at the start of every turn. Very good with a little scrying! Needless to say it dealt pretty handily with Donu and Deca!

Tried reading the last page but it was in a foreign language :). Am a complete noob at this, played first it on a 3 hour flight last week and the time went by so quickly! Love roguelikes and card games and the battle system is really cool. Basically, just wondering what's the best way to approach the game in terms of trying the different characters and stuff? I've only done about 4-5 runs on Ironclad at this point, and managed to get to the end of Act 3 on one of them (did I win?) with a block-heavy deck (my strength-heavy deck was way more fun though :D). But yeah, any tips for slowly delving deeper into the game..? I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

All my success came through persistence tbh. Just keep trying.  

4 wins for me in god knows how many runs. 

Gave up last night after an hour of unsuccessful defect runs. 

29 minutes ago, John0 said:

When you say wins, do you mean completing Act 3? I'm assuming not?

That's what I mean. I have no clue how to beat that heart.  

2 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

1 win in over 30 hours.  I've yet to complete act 3 with silent. No hope with The Defect!!

3 purely lucky wins here (1 with each character) in 30 hours on Switch.

I’ve never played a game that after anywhere near that length of time was such an unremitting brick wall, where I have learned virtually nothing, whose keys to progress or success are as elusive as they were an hour in, and where I am absolutely no closer to ultimate victory (which I’ll never achieve) every time I have another go.

I still play it occasionally but with no success after a couple of failed runs, I remember that I would get more enjoyment elsewhere and close it.

I suspect my next concentrated effort will be when the new character hits Switch. Forget ascending, my own metric of success is just ‘beating’ each character the once.

On 11/09/2019 at 14:26, John0 said:

Tried reading the last page but it was in a foreign language :). Am a complete noob at this, played first it on a 3 hour flight last week and the time went by so quickly! Love roguelikes and card games and the battle system is really cool. Basically, just wondering what's the best way to approach the game in terms of trying the different characters and stuff? I've only done about 4-5 runs on Ironclad at this point, and managed to get to the end of Act 3 on one of them (did I win?) with a block-heavy deck (my strength-heavy deck was way more fun though :D). But yeah, any tips for slowly delving deeper into the game..? I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

I don't really have time to write anything substantial, but two quick tips are don't take every card you're offered and prioritise removing strikes from your deck when possible. These aren't hard and fast rules, but might help you as you're getting a feel for the game. Also these starter guide questions have come across a lot, so look out for posts by JLM and me going back in the thread as we've written a fair few by now, both generic and character specific.

Also, exciting new patch on the beta branch today!

spacer.png

Thank goodness Tungsten Rod got reworked! I'm still not sure if it's good though... "Whenever you would lose HP, lose 1HP less."

Brilliance is now "transform your hand into miracles" - I can't tell if this is better or not! 

Flurry of blows is now 0 cost 4 damage, which actually should be pretty OK with the returning from the graveyard gimmick.

Prostrate seems better - 0 cost, gain 4 block and 1 mantra.

Deceive reality was definitely broken before - 2 energy for 17 block. But now it's two energy for 16 block, which is basically two defend+ cards, though you don't have two defend+ cards cluttering your hand, so I think it's still good.

Inner peace still costs 1, puts you in calm, or draws three cards if you're already in calm. Way better, IMO.

But most importantly vigilance now gives 8 block and enters calm, making it actually usable now!

• Upvote 1

My GamePass version on PC never even got the last patch that came out over a month ago - it's still sitting at v1.0 from January. I'm not hopeful in terms of getting this new character any time soon after release at all.

Oh that is so much better for vigilance. And yeah, flurry of blows coming back into your hand but demanding two energy seemed to completely defeat the point of it. Good stuff. Always an exciting time when they're all patch-happy like this. :) 

16 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I was only referring to getting past Act 3....I've not gone beyond yet. 

It's weird, I managed to win on my 3rd run I think (as in, I beat Act 3). I basically just took every block card offered to me, and managed to get the Power card that means you don't lose block. And I just outlasted all enemies. So I sort of figured that there must be more to winning. But subsequent runs have proved really tough and it sort of seems like that was some sort of massive fluke :D.

It does feel to me like, if I don't get offered enough block then I lose at the moment. But of course I understand that it's undoubtedly much deeper than that. But that is very much how it feels early on.

Couldn't resist a lunch break run with the new balance and first impressions are the character is MUCH nicer to play. Even though she absolutely destroys act 1 anyway, it just seems much less mentally taxing when you don't have to immediately try to find a better way of entering the calm stance than the default card. 

So, I ended up getting a deva form on the first elite (3 energy, 9 plated armour per turn), and then an upgraded one from the act 1 boss, because I had frozen egg and just picked up the ectoplasm so I was going to have 4 energy in act 2. I figured why not see what happens when you don't have to care about blocking with this character! 

In an early act 2 elite fight (Gremlin leader?) I had two double potions, and so ended up doubling both deva forms. Felt pretty good, tbh, so when I got offered a wish+ after the next elite fight (3 energy, play any card in your draw pile twice, then exhaust it AND wish+) I knew I had to have it so I could basically have three deva forms in play.

That looked a little something like this:

20190912123916_1.thumb.jpg.159ddbc0f0ab5b07ace81e5f620834d5.jpg

Also master reality + establishment? Pretty flipping great.

I chose pandora's box after this fight, figuring I was pretty set for basic block and attack with my deva forms, master reality, and all the retain attack cards like windmill strike and flying sleeves. Hilariously, pandora's box gave me a THIRD deva form+! And devotion+, so I could basically just sit back and deal ridiculous damage every few turns without worrying about anything.

20190912130910_1.thumb.jpg.c1a305e191ff1e73c776be59130c2ac0.jpg

20190912130921_1.thumb.jpg.bedb747d09f77061da097463c28c8c69.jpg

I'm sure the character still needs (and will receive) a bunch of tweaks, but this is much, much better already!

The deck:

20190912131031_1.thumb.jpg.9869a762d01895b6523a10bcfee61cda.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just had a really odd run where I thought I was going to die several times. Couldn't find establishment right until the last possible floor in act 3, had snecko eye doing weird things to my general flurry of blows / shuriken & yang strategy (gain temporary dex when you play an attack), and the deck never quite seemed to come together, as I'd ended up simply accumulating a load of random powers as my general scaling plan. Also annoying was that I was once again relying on master reality for my scaling, but without establishment it wasn't nearly as consistent!

Particularly strange last fight against Woke Bloke, where I thought I was done for as I was having real trouble finding enough block, but divinity kicked in, and I took him down from 250HP to zero in one turn, using a bit of energy manipulation from stance changes.

It didn't occur to me looking at the patch changes, but it seems fair to speculate that tungsten rod is probably going to get rebalanced again - right now it provides complete protection from anything that deals 1HP like the Ironclad's combust, brutality, etc. Also the pain curse doesn't do anything but clog your hand, with torii means attacks under 5 do 0 damage instead of 1, and even buffs intangible. So...pretty good, then!

9 hours ago, imp said:

It didn't occur to me looking at the patch changes, but it seems fair to speculate that tungsten rod is probably going to get rebalanced again - right now it provides complete protection from anything that deals 1HP like the Ironclad's combust, brutality, etc. Also the pain curse doesn't do anything but clog your hand, with torii means attacks under 5 do 0 damage instead of 1, and even buffs intangible. So...pretty good, then!

Aaaand tungsten rod is now a rare relic!

Man this game continually fucks me.

Had a few shit runs as defect earlier yesterday night. Gave up and played some gears 4.  Thought at 11.20 fuck it one last run. 

Had a amazing damage cast lightning mechanic going on.  Something like 8-9 orbs and flew through act 3.

It was 12.20 and that time twat turns up as act 3 boss and nukes me. I hate him more thanWoke bloke.

• Upvote 1

Clocksucker strikes again!

I like Worship+ changing from Innate to Retain. Makes it much more practical to plan for the Divinity turn.

Love the VFX they added to Judgment in this morning's patch also haha. Killing Spheric Guardian with it in one shot, completely ignoring the 50+ block, feels fantastic.

Fairly significant buff for Akabeko too, +9 on your first attack played is not bad at all. Stuff like Backstab gets a lot stronger with it now, and if you have Whirlwind, for example, it'd be worth waiting to play that as your first attack and getting +9(!!!) on it.  Dramatic Entrance is also much improved and it makes Bottled Flame a lot stronger too. Then you've got Mutagens and Bag of Marbles Synergy if you are using it on turn 1, and Necronomicon where if you make the first attack a 2 cost it'll  have +9 the first time *and* get played twice.

They've also changed Snecko Oil to draw five cards and then randomise the cost of the cards in that hand for the rest of combat. That is much much better than it was.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JLM said:

Clocksucker strikes again!

I like Worship+ changing from Innate to Retain. Makes it much more practical to plan for the Divinity turn.

Love the VFX they added to Judgment in this morning's patch also haha. Killing Spheric Guardian with it in one shot, completely ignoring the 50+ block, feels fantastic.

Fairly significant buff for Akabeko too, +9 on your first attack played is not bad at all. Stuff like Backstab gets a lot stronger with it now, and if you have Whirlwind, for example, it'd be worth waiting to play that as your first attack and getting +9(!!!) on it.  Dramatic Entrance is also much improved and it makes Bottled Flame a lot stronger too. Then you've got Mutagens and Bag of Marbles Synergy if you are using it on turn 1, and Necronomicon where if you make the first attack a 2 cost it'll  have +9 the first time *and* get played twice.

They've also changed Snecko Oil to draw five cards and then randomise the cost of your hand for the rest of combat. That is much much better than it was.

Yeah, I'm psyched to get snecko oil now! It was by far my least favourite of the rare potions. All of the jank with none of the normal snecko eye benefit. And worship+! I found it hard to take before, and would much rather have the divinity power, but this actually makes it so I think you might be able to sack off wrath mode completely in the later acts of the game if you get it.

Akabeko is much improved, and all of those situations sound hilariously fun, but honestly, what were they thinking with +3 on release? Maybe it interacted with some Watcher cards that never made it into the beta phase?

10 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Q: If you have the Snecko relic (forget the name), does using Snecko oil 'reconfuse' you i.e. randomly shuffle the hand cost again?

Haven't tried it out yet, but it seems like it would, yes.

On 9 September 2019 at 21:38, iknowgungfu said:

I've yet to complete act 3 with silent. No hope with The Defect!!

I've had the most success with defect. Mainly because combos that generate a lot of lightning damage seem relatively easy to set up. And there's the card that ensures lightning hits all enemies, so giving you instant crowd control. Orb damage is also indirect, so you don't trigger thorn damage or similar punishment.

My best runs involved combos where taking damage invoked lightning, lightning affected all enemies, and I had a couple of methods of gaining and keeping focus to maximise damage. There are a few of those (I had a run yesterday where I had five 'gain focus' cards).

12 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I like Snecko eye for the chaos it creates and tend to have good  runs when I get it. 

Snecko eye is the best energy relic in the game pretty much. Because of the extra card draw, it's generally worthwhile even if you don't have a lot of 2 & 3 cost cards.

Back to Watcher talk, although judgement is hilarious on Spheric Guardian, has anyone else noticed the weird maths on vault? I'm not sure if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but if the enemy has block when you play it, the damage dealt next turn includes the amount of block e.g. an enemy has 10 block, it will try to do 25 damage the next turn. This is super weird as if the enemy doesn't has block, the default 15 damage can get eaten by block if the enemy uses any the next turn, but if they go from having block to not having block, they take extra damage. 

I can confirm the worship upgrade to retain is insane. That, establishment, sands of time and windmill strike made such quick work of everything the game threw at me. I was regularly doing 300 damage in a turn without even spending energy. I even removed eruption from my deck at the store, as it just wasn't worth playing at that point. Dang!

4 hours ago, smac said:

I've had the most success with defect. Mainly because combos that generate a lot of lightning damage seem relatively easy to set up. And there's the card that ensures lightning hits all enemies, so giving you instant crowd control. Orb damage is also indirect, so you don't trigger thorn damage or similar punishment.

My best runs involved combos where taking damage invoked lightning, lightning affected all enemies, and I had a couple of methods of gaining and keeping focus to maximise damage. There are a few of those (I had a run yesterday where I had five 'gain focus' cards).

Funnily enough I just got through Act 3 with Silent last night so am going to try again with defect. This game is like crack (or at least what I imagine it to be like :wacko:)

Decided to drop back down to ascension 1 for a bit. Hadn’t had a clear in over a week and was beginning to get disheartened. 

It’s much nicer down here. I’ll go back up once I feel like I’ve improved a bit, but I think too many of my wins have come from very good RNG rather than very good play, and I’d like to feel more comfortable with the fundamentals of putting a deck together without also having to submit myself to the game being as hard as I can make it. 

Watching Jorbs is helping a lot. He’s very soothing. 

Oh my god, divinity, intangible, tungsten rod is silly enough, but cloak clasp is also amazing, and then using wish and double potion to be playing 3 copies of omega, for 150 automatic damage at the start of a turn is flipping hilarious. :omg:

20190914152036_1.thumb.jpg.f4607f19a68cfc80fbba21621944683c.jpg

If Jorbs ever stopped streaming I don't know if I'd ever be able to sleep again. His stream is the best wind down viewing in the whole world. 

• Upvote 1