rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

2 hours ago, imp said:

Generally I incubate a big dark orb (as long as I have a couple of focus cards) and then use it for a one hit kill. While I'm incubating I just chip away with whatever damage commons I have. Otherwise I'm overly fond of streamline, especially in act one where you might not yet have any frost, and your deck cycles quickly.

I also tend to take hello world quite often. It'll spit out a bunch of low or zero cost damage cards that you can use to whittle away health throughout a fight. Beware though, while it basically increases your hand size by one and helps reduce variance in your hands, it's a total bloat machine, so cycling your deck will take much longer. Risk reward, etc.

Yeah the more successful games I have had tended to be the ones where I got the cards giving a free power or common on each turn; or a bunch of random colourless cards, that basically just overwhelms the opposition, and feels a tad random.

I have a good, small deck on my current Defect run, with only a couple of strike/defends left from the original deck; the rest being transformed or dropped, and I've ignored a few cards on the way.

1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Patch notes for v1.1 and confirmation that "Free DLC containing a 4th character and additional content" is on the way :hat: Lovely stuff.

You no longer run into The Cleric or Beggar events if you do not have enough gold.

Yeah, hit that a couple of times over the last few games.

From the patch notes:

Colosseum event now appears only at the top half of Act 2.

HECK YESSSS I HAVE LOST SO MANY RUNS TO THIS!

Note to self. Do not hit 'y' in error at the start of your turn when you're hear the top of Act III. You cannot afford to give the bad guys a free hit for 20+ damage at that level.

And I had a good run going, too.

Yeah both of those event changes are very sensible. Remember when the optional second fight in the colosseum was two Gremlin Nobs? That was a spicy meatball. I like the blood potion buff also. It's the still the weakest of the character-specific potions but it needed something.

16 hours ago, smac said:

Note to self. Do not hit 'y' in error at the start of your turn when you're hear the top of Act III. You cannot afford to give the bad guys a free hit for 20+ damage at that level.

And I had a good run going, too.

I feel your pain.  The number of times I've skipped relics, shops, and things by hitting Y at the wrong moment... it's infuriating.

18 hours ago, imp said:

From the patch notes:

HECK YESSSS I HAVE LOST SO MANY RUNS TO THIS!

Is that the one where you start out by being knocked unconscious?

22 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I feel your pain.  The number of times I've skipped relics, shops, and things by hitting Y at the wrong moment... it's infuriating.

You can return! Unless it's a boss reward, you'll get another chance to collect it if you just go back before entering another floor.

5 minutes ago, imp said:

You can return! Unless it's a boss reward, you'll get another chance to collect it if you just go back before entering another floor.

Whhhaaaattt?!?  That's amazing.  So you just re-select the previous level on the map?

18 minutes ago, imp said:

Yep.

THWACK!

Yeah, that's wiped me out a couple of times when I've been low on hit points going into a random event.

11 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Whhhaaaattt?!?  That's amazing.  So you just re-select the previous level on the map?

You just press the return/back button and it'll take you to the last screen you were on (from the map screen). Never miss taking a potion again!

• Upvote 1

I've seen that when restarting the game - if you close before a fight, you have to re-select the potion/card/relic after restarting.

That patch also has a “long press” option for ending turns so you can’t tap it by mistake and kill your self.  Think that’ll save Switch players a lot of grief when it makes it to that version. 

22 hours ago, imp said:

You just press the return/back button and it'll take you to the last screen you were on (from the map screen). Never miss taking a potion again!

I just did that (yes, I managed to skip a vendor, again).  I actually works.  All those relics, vendors, potions, card... lost but not forgotten.

Thank you!

Sheesh - well, I got to Clock Bastard again this lunchtime with The Defect. Once again, not quite enough defence (lightning orb cycle build) to survive long enough to get him down and out. Was missing a method to boost Focus, too. Got him to less than 50% HP or more, so not bad.

Any tips for the Ironclad? I can’t get anything solid going with him at all. The best I’ve done was with a wacky deck which revolves around constantly exhausting cards, getting damage and extra cards when exhausting, then fishing them back out of the exhaust deck. Fun but a bit relic dependent. Every other time I’m either short on attack or defence or both. 

I've climbed to the heady heights of Ascension 3 with the Ironclad, so am probably not best placed to advise, but I've had most luck with STR decks and not worrying too much about defence until Act 2 at the earliest. Just batter things before they batter you.

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Any tips for the Ironclad? I can’t get anything solid going with him at all. The best I’ve done was with a wacky deck which revolves around constantly exhausting cards, getting damage and extra cards when exhausting, then fishing them back out of the exhaust deck. Fun but a bit relic dependent. Every other time I’m either short on attack or defence or both. 

Just to put it out there, I’m still very much a novice, but I have managed to get pretty good with the Ironclad. The most reliable cards for me have been:

Limit Break+ - this doubles your strength each time you use it. Get a card that gives you some strength, use this a few times to really build your strength up, and one of the big damage cards (like Heavy Blade) can wreak havoc on bosses.

Barricade - This keeps your block between turns. Used with Entrench, which doubles your block, it basically makes you immune to attacks. Combine with Body Slam, which deals an attack for the same value as your block, and it becomes lethal.

Demon Form is another good card. Upgraded it adds 3 strength each turn, so with Limit Break it’s great.

Whirlwind is a great attack card, and really good to upgrade early on.

• Upvote 1

Still struggling on Ascension 1 with The Defect. Can't get the balance right at all and getting murdered in Act III, last run was frustrating as hell, as I breezed through Act I and II relatively speaking. 

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

Just to put it out there, I’m still very much a novice, but I have managed to get pretty good with the Ironclad. The most reliable cards for me have been:

Limit Break+ - thus doubles your strength each time you use it. Get a card that gives you some strength, use this a few times to really build your strength up, and one of the big damage cards (like Heavy Blade) can wreak havoc on bosses.

Barricade - This keeps your block between turns. Used with Entrench, which doubles your block, it basically makes you immune to attacks. Combine with Body Slam, which deals an attack for the same value as your block, and it becomes lethal.

Demon Form is another good card. Upgraded it adds 3 strength each turn, so with Limit Break it’s great.

Whirlwind is a great attack card, and really good to upgrade early on.

I'm new to this (and this type of game) but Barricade  has worked wonders for me. You can make yourself invincible with it given the right deck. When you don't have to care about defence things become a lot simpler.

3 minutes ago, smac said:

Not far...

Later one I got to the big head Elite. I had him down to about 20 health when he got me.

Post your hand?

2 Strike+

Barricade+

Flex

Corruption+

2 x Demon Form +

Pommel Strike

2 x Metallicize +

Cleave

Shrug it off

2 x Spot Weakness

Bash

Body Slam

Battle Trance

4 x Defend +

Fiend Fire +

2 x Whirlwind

2 x Heavy Blade +

Necronomicurse

Edit: I was hoping for an Impervious or something to go with the Barricade +, but just ended up with relatively low defence. However, I also had Anchor and Thread & Needle to help a little.

Fiend Fire + is interesting; I was cycling a few cards (relics to draw cards on damage), so I could slam out a lot of damage; especially with a few Strength bonuses....

Man, they give you all the information you need to review each run, don't they?

Oh, and The Book of Stabbing can do one. He's a bastard.

I think you have a lot of decent cards, but that could have been the problem. The more cards you have, the more diluted your hand is, which makes it more difficult to create synergies. It’s also seems light on defence, perhaps? Shrug it Off is a good card to upgrade and have a few of I found, and it’s pretty common. Impervious great to mix with Barricade too, though I appreciate you may not have come across it.

Whichever one you picked up out of Barricade and Demon Form, I’d have run with that and ignored most cards that didn’t work well with it. With Barricade you only need that, body slam, and loads of block. With Demon Form, just that, a few more strength cards and block, and an upgraded Heavy Blade. It’s like a mix of two different strategies, which reduces the effectiveness of them both.

Lots of powerful stuff there! Couple of things you could do to improve it though:

1. That's way too much strength. 1 demon form should be enough, especially upgraded, so you don't need flex or sport weakness, really. Fair play if you picked up a spot weakness before that first demon form, that's actually good for flexibility as I know you can't always sacrifice a turn to put demon form in play. I think it would be better to limit yourself to 3 strength buffing cards as an absolute maximum, and look to getting a few more block cards.

2. And on that point, you need more block cards! With corruption, you're gaining a spike in power (the ability to play a bunch of free block cards and then hopefully not having to worry about block until you finish the fight) but you need more block cards to make it worth it, especially as you're playing a power-heavy deck. 3 energy on demon form, 2 on barricade, 2 on the metallicizes, and 2 on the corruption means a lot of turns setting up. More block cards like power through, true grit and flame barrier will help you get through that initial phase as well as to give you the power spike you want to close out the fight.

3. Too much AoE. AoE is great for slime boss and great for act 2 hallway fights, but isn't nearly as good in act 3 as the number of multi-target battles is much fewer. Cleave in particular is not a great card at this point, though whirlwind scales well enough to stay useful, especially with your strength build, but either way, you don't need that many AoE cards.

4. Fiend Fire - this card does not scale as well with high str as some of the Ironclad's other attacks (heavy blade will absolutely trounce it for damage, for example), but more importantly, unless you had runic pyramid, it doesn't look like you have enough methods to get the huge hand size required to make it worthwhile (only one battle trance). ...And corruption is probably thinning out your deck enough already! But my concern is that you probably don't want to use it early in the fight while you're using your important cards to set up / block, which you can't afford to exhaust, so it'll just sit in your hand unused until the end of the fight, at while point heavy blade is better anyway.

Hope this doesn't come off as harsh, as it's not my intention at all. I've just sunk a lot of time and thought into this game, and it turns out I have a lot of opinions!

EDIT: Also, yes, as Paulando points out, it's a mix of three separate powerful strategies revolving around barricade, corruption and demon form. I'd say picking up to two of these is fine (although demon form can be a bit too expensive to play nicely with other strategies unless you have a LOT of energy), but trying all three at once is probably taking on a bit too much!

• Upvote 2

Harsh? Not at all! Great comments - I could tell it felt light on defence. I did get the first Spot weakness early, and I like it a lot for strength runs, especially as it's low cost. The Corruption I didn't play at all; can't recall if that was a bad pick or forced by an event.

I'm beginning to get the hang of ignoring cards - although the previous time I lost to Giant Head, I had a 41-card Defect Deck...