rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Yeah, I started off culling two strikes when the blue whale offered today (ironclad) and that made the deck a tad quicker. Put in some other damage pretty quickly, but for the first act it worked well.

The Defect, the best runs I've had revolved around getting a full set of lightning orbs out and constantly cycling in new orbs so that the 'next' orb up deploys and does damage - so anything that deploys an orb without depleting it keeps them churning. There's a card that introduces two lightning orbs, three when upgraded, whenever you get hit; so you end up doing three lots of damage once you get them cycling (damage during your turn, orb damage at the end, then more orb damage when the bad guys  hit you). Then there's recursion, which deploys your next orb then manifests the same one - these upgrade to cost zero energy, so are a free hit.

Finally beat my first run with the Defect. So satisfying having 8-10 orbs at 10+ power each! That's all 3 characters done now.

So what's next? What is this ascension that everyone is talking about? Do I need to trigger that or does it happen automatically the next time I play with a character?

36 minutes ago, NickC said:

Finally beat my first run with the Defect. So satisfying having 8-10 orbs at 10+ power each! That's all 3 characters done now.

So what's next? What is this ascension that everyone is talking about? Do I need to trigger that or does it happen automatically the next time I play with a character?

You’ve met the conditions already!

The next time you start a game, you’ll see a new checkbox at the bottom of the screen when selecting your character. Ascensions are stacking difficulty modifiers that slowly make the game harder (and much more satisfying, forcing you into making weightier decisions during a run). Beating act 3 on ascension 1 will unlock ascension  2, and so on. 

You’ve also unlocked a further challenge.

Try and find all three keys during a run for an extra set of challenges at the end.

• Upvote 1

A power heavy deck with “random card is zero when you play a power; orbs on power; orbs on hit; electrodynamics;  two upgraded self repairs and a few FTLs to pull those cars through quicker” does make for a fun, easy, defect run.

Particularly if you don’t end up with the ascended one.

almost makes up for all the rubbish runs preceding it.

Oh, and then a second consecutive win on the next ascension level up (only 4, but...). And 15 minutes quicker. Again, lucky not to get the ascended one.

Man, dozens of runs and still only one win. How do you thin those decks?

I am having zero luck with Ironclad. Closer with the Defect, but still no dice. Deck today was too slow to start to deal damage.

7 hours ago, smac said:

Man, dozens of runs and still only one win. How do you thin those decks?

Are you picking a card after every single battle? If so, try a run where you're a bit more selective over what you put in the deck in the first place - you won't always get to thin your deck, so only adding things you need into the deck is just as important.

• Upvote 1

I’ve just finished a couple of strong runs with the Ironclad. I got rid of Strikes whenever I could, conserved energy so I could upgrade cards at rest points, and I don’t think I picked up any cards in Act 3 and most of Act 2. Even in Act 1 I was skipping some card choices. If it doesn’t add anything to your deck, don’t bother.

Mine was geared towards increasing strength for big attacks, and blocking. It was incredibly lean, which meant the strength cards came around very quickly. Whirlwind is a fantastic card to use, with Demon Form+ adding 3 strength per turn and Limit Break+ doubling it every time it came around. My strength was close to 100 when I killed the final boss, which went down with very little effort.

9AADD5D9-72DE-482C-A23D-1674D981FEF2.thumb.jpeg.694160fa237b0d51da0e1acbfffcd662.jpeg

65243C1E-2ECA-4EFB-8BC9-D61D2AA4FFCC.thumb.jpeg.816ce54c172de861683354225087aaa4.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Coming up to 50 hours now, and I still feel like I’m only scratching the surface. I’ve only just completed my first Ascension run with Ironclad. I took a rare card from Neow which turned out to be Fire Fiend, a card I’ve previously ignored:

latest?cb=20181016205956

‘Why would I want to exhaust all the cards in my hand?’, I thought. But because I got it at the start, I ploughed on and was able to build my deck around it. I thought having a big deck would play into its hands, and after I got Snecko Eye (which draws 2 extra cards per turn and makes you confused), I took every 2 or 3 energy card I came across and ignored the rest.

Again, I went for strength once my block was covered (a couple of these in my hand sorted that out):

latest?cb=20181016210816

With Demon Form+ (I had two of these) again adding 3 strength per turn, Limit Break+ doubling that whenever it cropped up, Impervious blocking the biggest attacks, and Fiend Fire and Whirlwind dealing huge amounts of damage, Deca and Donu went down in a few turns. It played very different to my last run though, because for the most part I was sacrificing cards for big, one-turn damage.

This game is so great.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Are you picking a card after every single battle? If so, try a run where you're a bit more selective over what you put in the deck in the first place - you won't always get to thin your deck, so only adding things you need into the deck is just as important.

That's the likely problem. I was initially; this last run with a The Defect I was a bit pickier, and that worked better. I still ended up with some bloat - a few frost damage cards that I never played.

But as you get decent damage and defence, you want to drop those basic cards; they just don't cut it in later levels.

Finally got my Defect victory?! Stacked a few upgraded Static Charges and then picked up some relics to make relatively easy work of Donu & Deca. That’s victories? with all three characters now. Onward to Ascension!

• Upvote 3

Yeah, Defect I generally get further along with than Ironclad; with Ironpants it's too easy to slow down the deck with rubbish picks.

Just found another great synergy I won with, using Ironclad ^_^

5A34C1C7-C6DB-4E37-ABCA-E3B1738C1521.thumb.png.97ebb4cee60d459c60abcdf011e5f55e.png

A18AFFFE-8544-49A8-A017-A500F3B26410.thumb.png.5a249047bb3cd0bad3ccbac8f194a4a2.png

F0FE89DD-61AA-425B-8967-1EF6A126056E.thumb.png.b4371a539ddf1061aa4eae80f5d8f3a3.png

CB50B891-08DB-4D59-9D83-73B8754CD0A6.thumb.png.f925b9b7a2367f45a5771d77790e302d.png

Once I had these, I didn’t need any more attack cards as I could build some block, keep it between rounds, and double it whenever Entrench came around. I was protected from any and all attacks, and could dish out massive damage with Bodyslam. Time Eater went down before he had a chance to reset me a second time :lol:

• Upvote 1

I love tanky body slam decks. :D 

Also I love that this game is on Switch! Starting a new save from scratch has been fun and it is amaaazing to have a portable version of it. 

Travelled from Yorkshire to Saaahfend by train on Friday and did Ascension 7, 8 and 9 with Silent. Absolutely devoured the journey, had to look up occasionally to check where I was as it flew by so fast. 

Doing the return journey today and will be Ascending spires for the duration. Best game. 

• Upvote 4

Nice! I've actually not managed to play it on Switch for a good couple of weeks because my girlfriend has stolen it and will not be deterred from slaying spires herself. 

So I've been on the PC version steadily racking up the ascensions with the Defect, having a pretty darn good time. 

I tend to go very frost heavy, and now A20 has made me wildly underestimate the difficulty of lower ascensions I've been quite prone to dicking around.

20190628113348_1.thumb.jpg.a26708d0effdcb4e3938b21b6bbd6eae.jpg

I'd always thought blizzard looked a bit rubbish, but I got offered one just before the act 3 boss, so I took it just for fun. Turns out I was right. There's barely any point in using it, but it was funny to get the kill with it anyway.

20190630120135_1.thumb.jpg.c795071dcc2d8ba807fbc9cc7ab2d299.jpg

Mind bloom is absolutely my favourite event in the game. I don't understand why it's so much fun to utterly CRUSH (geddit) a boss who is designed to be taken on by a much weaker deck, but I can't get enough of it. This was particularly fun, as thanks to my lightning orb slime boss didn't even get to divide once!

• Upvote 2

The music for that boss rematch is the best music in the game also. I think it’s wasted on that fight. 

But yeah, completely annihilating act 1 bosses with act 3 decks is a lot of fun. Also like that event for when Jorbs takes the money and Normality and does something funky with it. The best recent one he had blue candle/centennial puzzle/2 feel no pain/juggernaught+. So at the cost of 1hp, playing normality drew cards, did damage and generated block for no energy. 

Ironclad seems so simple until you are doing the maddest of things with him. 

After I got my first heart, I basically forced the Blizzard deck until I got one that worked. My deck was absolutely bananas, and Blizzard was still somewhat underwhelming - was never in any danger of dying due to being able to cycle through so many Frost orbs and gaining orb slots reliably, but I would usually need two Blizzards to put a fight to bed, if not more. 

Loads of fun though.

This game is insane, with the amount of viable options. I just did the daily and somehow managed to get a build where I had 19 starting strength (thanks to the 1 strength for every curse relic) and then 9 innate 0 cost 11 attack cards. Plus a few other card slots meant at least. 30*9 = 270 first turn damage as a minimum without any modifiers. I took out sleepyhead guy with a card to spare of my first turn.

• Upvote 2

what is great about this as a big of design is I don't understand a word half of you are on about but still really enjoy doodling about in this playing largely like a spanner at my own pace 

although I can see the bar for getting good is high and will take a lot of time, the game doesn't seem less enjoyable as a spanner who has only beaten an act 3 boss once.

• Upvote 1

I had back-to-back wins last night with the Silent and the Defect. My first win with each of those.  So chuffed.

Spoiler question for once you've completed it once with each character...

Spoiler

So you unlock 3 key parts? I've picked up a couple of them seemingly a bit randomly, but I've not yet managed to get all 3.  Where should I be going for them, and should I be getting them early on, or waiting as long as possible? 

12 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I had back-to-back wins last night with the Silent and the Defect. My first win with each of those.  So chuffed.

Hide contents

So you unlock 3 key parts? I've picked up a couple of them seemingly a bit randomly, but I've not yet managed to get all 3.  Where should I be going for them, and should I be getting them early on, or waiting as long as possible? 

Spoiler

I tend to get the Elite one in Act 1 then the others as late as possible, or if I am happy with not needing an upgrade, or a chest is a bit shit. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Hide contents

Waiting as long as possible tends to serve you better on the whole, with each of the three keys.

For example a relic from a chest in act 1, even if it's a common, is going to be of value for more fights than a relic which only does anything for you in the last quarter of the game. Obviously if you pick up an anti-synergy relic or something feel free to dunk it for the sapphire key at your earliest convenience.

Similarly, campfires are incredibly important in act 1 as the earlier you upgrade a card, the better it's going to serve you for the entire rest of your run. Best to wait till act 3 to recall - you can even change your mind if you don't feel up to it. (And if your deck is stomping - a good sign you're in with a chance - you shouldn't need to rest or upgrade at every single fire in act 3.)

Taking on the super elite should also be done later, generally. If you happen to feel incredibly strong in act 1 or 2, I say go for it, but the later the game goes on, the stronger you're likely to be, and the more capable of taking on the extra challenge. :)

• Upvote 2

On 30/06/2019 at 12:18, imp said:

I tend to go very frost heavy,

So what do you rely on for dealing damage?

1 hour ago, smac said:

So what do you rely on for dealing damage?

Generally I incubate a big dark orb (as long as I have a couple of focus cards) and then use it for a one hit kill. While I'm incubating I just chip away with whatever damage commons I have. Otherwise I'm overly fond of streamline, especially in act one where you might not yet have any frost, and your deck cycles quickly.

I also tend to take hello world quite often. It'll spit out a bunch of low or zero cost damage cards that you can use to whittle away health throughout a fight. Beware though, while it basically increases your hand size by one and helps reduce variance in your hands, it's a total bloat machine, so cycling your deck will take much longer. Risk reward, etc.