rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

lXvEpaW.png

onSteamButton.png

“The devs have taken the best of the deckbuilding and roguelike genres to craft an immensely deep, frustrating, and gratifying experience. Slay the Spire is a perfect example of “easy to learn, hard to master”.”
10/10 – goombastomp

“Slay The Spire made me fall in love with deck-building”
Rock Paper Shotgun

“Slay the Spire is the Roguelike Card Game I Never Knew I Wanted”
Waypoint

ABOUT

We fused card games and roguelikes together to make the best single player deckbuilder we could. Craft a unique deck, encounter bizarre creatures, discover relics of immense power, and Slay the Spire!
9f27ddadbea53633f0c7a5ee2c49c32689c7fd74

• Two core characters that each have their own unique set of cards. (With more planned)
  • 200+ fully implemented cards.
  • 50+ unique combat encounters.
  • 100+ different items to be found.
  • Procedurally generated levels.
  • Tons of unlockables.

Dynamic Deck Building
Choose your cards wisely! Discover hundreds of cards to add to your deck with each attempt at climbing the Spire. Select cards that work together to efficiently dispatch foes and reach the top.

An Everchanging Spire
Whenever you embark on a journey up the Spire, the layout differs each time. Choose a risky or safe path, face different enemies, choose different cards, discover different relics, and even fight different bosses!

Powerful Relics to Discover
Powerful items known as relics can be found throughout the Spire. The effects of these relics can greatly enhance your deck through powerful interactions. But beware, obtaining a relic may cost you more than just gold...

MEDIA

Spoiler

ss8.jpg

ss23.jpg

ss26.jpg

ss21.jpg

I've seen this game pop up quite a lot recently and I can see why, I'm about 6 hours in and completely hooked! The only card game I've ever really given the light of day before this was Duelyst and while this is much easier to pick up and play it is by no means any more forgiving. Just now for example I was on an almost flawless run through Act 1 with some of the best items the game was kind enough bestow on me, only for me to get completely rekt halfway through the second act. I've only managed to defeat the second boss during one of the daily runs and it keeps destroying me on the standard quest mode, yet I keep coming back for more. Brutal but fun!

So if you're up for a singleplayer card game with easy to understand mechanics that also features a terrific soundtrack then definitely give this a go. I know some of you already own this so I'm curious to learn what strategies you've been using! :D

• Upvote 3

Almost made it passed the third boss last night but he was simply dealing too much damage for me to negate. Made some progress though! 

• Upvote 1

This looks fab, shame I don't have a computer for gaming any more. Hope they plan an iOS release at the very least. 

I put off buying this for ages because it looked a bit rubbish in screen shots, but I'm pretty glad I did end up buying it as it's pretty great!

I've mostly used The Silent so far. Have got to the third boss several times but haven't quite managed to beat him just yet. After a few unlocks I can make a pretty nice block/passive dps/shivs build which has taken over from focusing mostly on poison. Cards that give you buffs that persist for the duration of combat like After Image (+1 block with each card used), Caltrops (deal 3 damage back to attacker when attacked), Noxious Fumes (apply 2 poison to all enemies at the start of a turn) are amazing when you level them up and have multiples in your deck as they end up stacking quite nicely.

I also really like how the different relics can force you to play slightly differently than you would normally. My most recent run had a relic that transformed all of my starting block and attack cards so I'm using a setup that I'd have avoided completely previously but it's been quite effective so far.

Once I beat the third boss with The Silent I'll have to give the other character a go and see what he's like. 

:wub:

I've been trying to play both characters fairly equally, but I much prefer The Silent to The Ironclad, which isn't really all that surprising when I almost always play sneaky buggers in everything (and actually main Rogue in Hearthstone). I think I just like the shenanigans.

(I'm guessing the third class will be a Mage of some kind, as we already have our Warrior and Rogue archetypes?)

I'm now routinely reaching the second boss(es), but can't quite kill them; I've even had a run where I'd had so much poison damage routinely being done that the boss likely would've succumbed to just that in a turn or two more, but I couldn't quite negate their damage sufficiently to survive that long myself.

Favourite run so far was one where one of the '?' tiles / random encounters gave me the option to halve my max HP but gain five (Exhaust) cards which reduced all damage taken to 1HP that turn. This effectively meant that (bad draw notwithstanding) I always knew I had at least five turns to lay out whoever I was fighting, but then I was probably going to be dead pretty soon after. I lost a turn before I could apply the killing blow to the second boss that time too; multiple enemies are a bitch when you have a time constraint, and the minions that one summoned wore me down.

Speaking of the random encounters; how do you guys decide which course to take? I've tended to go on '?' heavy routes because I like to see what weirdness I can get (especially after the run described above), but I think I need to try and balance it better, and also take on more Elites (whereas I've probably been a bit too cautious too often up to now). I also think I need to start to try and be a bit cleverer about trimming my deck (and working out what is best to trim), and taking more of the fights so that I have a bit more money and more cards to choose from.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VN1X said:

Actually, what's the upside of fighting Elites? Better loot? More gold? 

You get a relic as loot. 

I can fairly reliably complete Ironclad runs but I've only done it 3 times with The Silent. In order of priority I tend to go Camp-Shop-?-Elite-monster on the first map then on the other two I avoid Elites like the plague. 

If you're playing the silent, I've had success with a few different builds, I'll put them in spoilers because it's something people could want to discover.

Spoiler
Spoiler

If you've got a poison build you can stack it to ridiculous amounts. If you use burst on improved catalyst you can triple an enemy's poison, and then triple it again. You can also use nightmare to make three copies of catalyst and take it even higher if you can use burst on two of them. That's only really needed against bosses, against anything else it's overkill. I used that against donu and doku when I had the specimen relic, the poison killed one and then moved 900+ poison onto the other one and killed them in one shot the next turn. I've also used corpse explosion to hit them both for 900+

If you can cycle through your deck quickly you can use burst on blur, because blur actually stacks. That means you've got two turns where block doesn't drop off, so you can draw another one out in time to keep your insane amount of block. I got the 999 block achievement doing that. If you're making an infinite block deck then even one noxious fumes card means that you'll win, you can stack block faster than bosses can take it off and they'll die of poison, though you will want a footwork or two in order to generate a lot of block.

I'm a mirror image of Zael, I cannot win as the ironclad, I just never end up with enough block and get mashed. The only times I've ever managed it was with a snecko eye, and a load of draw, where I managed to draw expensive cards and play them for nothing. The other time was a heavy blade build with demon form and limit break. I just get smashed every time I try the ironclad.

Fuck sake. 

YyOgojJ.jpg

I was so close to defeating him, had a terrific deck with pretty much all upgraded cards but even with him being weakened and on the back foot I still wasn't able to negate all of his damage output. Christ! :lol:

I got the the third boss last night. No idea on the name but he's like a big blue demon dog thing and spawns with 2 other standard mobs. Managed to deplete his 300 HP and thought I'd won at last until he respawned with another 300 HP.

Got him down to the last 100 but ran out of HP within a turn or two of being victorious. Next time!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Fuck sake. 

YyOgojJ.jpg

I was so close to defeating him, had a terrific deck with pretty much all upgraded cards but even with him being weakened and on the back foot I still wasn't able to negate all of his damage output. Christ! :lol:

I had pretty much the exact same thing last night (but with the Ironclad); he'd have gone down the following turn, no doubt, but once he's nearly down he starts chugging steroids (Strength potions) like it's going out of fashion, and his last attack was just too much, despite a really good setup.

Then I had a half-arsed, no-luck, tired game with the Silent where I didn't even make it that far. :P 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, spork said:

I got the the third boss last night. No idea on the name but he's like a big blue demon dog thing and spawns with 2 other standard mobs. Managed to deplete his 300 HP and thought I'd won at last until he respawned with another 300 HP.

Got him down to the last 100 but ran out of HP within a turn or two of being victorious. Next time!

He's a pain, but if you didn't notice his ability :

Spoiler

He gains strength for every power you use, so if you've got slightly shitty ones like caltrops, then just don't play them and he won't hit you as hard.

In other news I tried a shiv build last night, and actually managed to get a deck which could churn out shivs. The slight downside (possibly not a downside) is that I got the dead branch relic, which gives you a random card when you exhaust a card. Of course, the shivs exhaust so I could play those until I hit on something really crazy to come up and play it. The downside obviously is that I'm adding stupid amounts of cards to my deck, so consistency went out of the window, and I was relying on RNG to get good cards. It didn't disappoint though, I cleared the last boss without too much trouble. I think in the last boss fight I drew a couple of accuracies, so in the end my shivs were hitting for 15 damage each, for no energy cost, and also drawing new cards for me to potentially play.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, U2031 said:

He's a pain, but if you didn't notice his ability :

Reveal hidden contents

He gains strength for every power you use, so if you've got slightly shitty ones like caltrops, then just don't play them and he won't hit you as hard.

In other news I tried a shiv build last night, and actually managed to get a deck which could churn out shivs. The slight downside (possibly not a downside) is that I got the dead branch relic, which gives you a random card when you exhaust a card. Of course, the shivs exhaust so I could play those until I hit on something really crazy to come up and play it. The downside obviously is that I'm adding stupid amounts of cards to my deck, so consistency went out of the window, and I was relying on RNG to get good cards. It didn't disappoint though, I cleared the last boss without too much trouble. I think in the last boss fight I drew a couple of accuracies, so in the end my shivs were hitting for 15 damage each, for no energy cost, and also drawing new cards for me to potentially play.

Just got my first victory against the same boss. Silent with a big poison and block build. Having a few of the skill that triples the poison on an enemy was pretty useful!

Arrgh, just got to the 3rd boss with Ironclad and an absolute shitload of good relics, but I'd taken a beating from the big giant head boss and then 'The Maw'  straight after and the game was being a shit and not giving me barricade, so I was barely scraping through each hand (in hindsight I probably shouldn't have played combustion'.

I'll get past act 3 one of these days!!

One thing I have learned recently that is probably really obvious to everyone else is that you don't really need or want to take a card every time you are offered. A small focused deck can be very effective, especially if you also remove the starting attack and block cards as you go as they are ultimately a bit weak compared to most cards you pick up.

Since beating the 3rd floor with The Silent I have been playing with Ironclad and trying to keep my deck below 15 cards, usually 5/6 attacks, 5/6 blocks and the rest as power/skill cards that complement my build. Playing with a deck that small and making use of cards that draw +1 from your deck while attacking or blocking makes a card like Rampage (+4/8 to the damage of the card each time you use it) REALLY powerful.

9 hours ago, VN1X said:

@Scruff tell us of your exploits. 

Cleared using Silence. Upgraded bouncing flask so it hits 4 times and upgraded catalyst so it trebles poison is an absolute boss wrecker, especially combined with the relic that gives an extra poison whenever you do.

I should have cleared it with Ironclad too but I got too greedy. The first thing I got was a Feed card (ended up getting another too) so by the time I got to the last boss on act 3 (a different one to the ones I cleared with Silence) I had a max health of 130-something. Unfortunately I got greedy at campfires because I had such a high health, a good deck and the shovel relic I was treasure hunting rather than healing up. Once at the last boss I didn't get barricade in my hand at all, just loads of dps cards and he just chipped away at me until he killed me :( 

Fabulous game though. I really hope it'll come out on mobiles/tablets.

9 hours ago, spork said:

One thing I have learned recently that is probably really obvious to everyone else is that you don't really need or want to take a card every time you are offered. A small focused deck can be very effective, especially if you also remove the starting attack and block cards as you go as they are ultimately a bit weak compared to most cards you pick up.

Yeah my usual target is to have about 15 cards by the third floor. In pretty much every shop I go to I'll remove a block or strike. 

That's what you get for being a pussy blocker and not going for the jugular; you're a rogue ffs! :P 

Chosen are horiffic for the Silent. They've ended my runs more than a few times.

If you have an ancient potion, then it's a good time to use it against those, or the snecko.

I keep losing unlosable fights. I have no idea how I manage to do that. :lol:

Also having a lot of trouble keeping the amount of cards down. By the time I reach act 3 I'll have amassed 25+ cards usually. I've seen videos where people just breeze through it with 18 or less. 

Just bought this 'cos of the thread. 

I don't game on my Mac* because it fucks up my work productivity. And I've wasted hours today. Fuck.

Might have to uninstall and wait for the inevitable mobile/switch port. 

After one last game of course....

*Because macs have no games