A Quiet Place

2 minutes ago, strider said:

Apparently all you have to do to defeat them is…

Hide contents

Dig a hole and fill it with spikes and fire. Make some noise, push something on top of them when they fall in.

Now why didn't Jim think of that?

cos the director had seen The Mist and wanted a cheap cry from the audience?

On 11/04/2018 at 12:50, linkster said:

Come on, you can’t argue logic in a monster movie where they don’t even shut the front door

I get you don’t like the film, but you’re coming across as a bit frothing now. :lol:

Ah hell, I’ll go with it. They probably just shut the door very last thing at night to avoid the noise of repeatedly opening and closing it. Besides, if a creature does hear something they could go through the door like it were tissue paper. 

2 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

I get you don’t like the film, but you’re coming across as a bit frothing now. :lol:

Ah hell, I’ll go with it. They probably just shut the door very last thing at night to avoid the noise of repeatedly opening and closing it. Besides, if a creature does hear something they could go through the door like it were tissue paper. 

My froth is done, wasting no more breath or foam on this, besides Ghost Stories has cleansed my mind of it

• Empathy 1
6 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

I just keep going back to Day of the Dead. An apocalyptic single location limited budget dystopian horror that has no single logical or philosophical flaws. I've watched it religiously and can't understand why movies with double the staff, double the time and double the resources can't even come close to creating such a bulletproof world.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I've watched it religiously and can't understand why movies with double the staff, double the time and double the resources can't even come close to creating such a bulletproof world.

I think it's probably because it's REALLY FUCKING HARD to do.

Probably.

Stab at a guess: yep, really hard, as you probably need to fix your budget, make all your days, not change any SFX during shooting due to catastrophes you can't control, not make any large script revisions... basically, have nothing happen that cocks-up your shooting script which then makes continuity during editing a headache.

This is why directors end up with little rep companies of producers and crew, as she/he can trust them to not mess things up. Romero was particularly good at bringing his stuff in safely and to-plan, I think.

On 10/04/2018 at 17:16, linkster said:

I cant get over the seam of stupidity and contrivance that runs through it tho, as well as the central characters being deeply annoying.

Wow, you’ve really got it in for the family in this haven’t you?

I saw this tonight and enjoyed it, it’s by no means an amazing film, but perfectly serviceable in my opinion.

What was it about the family that annoyed you so much exactly? I’m honestly interested in knowing, because I’m just not getting it.

Saw this today, teenagers at the back were chatting about a 'puppet on a string' within 5 seconds of the film starting, then someone yelled 'yo, shut up', and they did, although another group of teenagers turned up late and didn't get the memo to be as quiet as the characters are in the film, but they were mostly alright. Except one going 'a lot of pressure' in the most crucial dramatic moment in the film with Blunt and that guy in the US office, if anyone can guess which that was.

Spoiler

The spaceship annoyed me too to be honest. Obviously the writers have thought a lot about it, i don't buy they would walk ahead of their youngest on what seemed like a rare family excursion out. And don't buy they'd tell their kid no and then leave him with the temptation of denying their word. But mistakes! people! In their mega heightened state one false move you will be scythed to death i don't think people are loose with their actions. And then the daughter again leaves the kid with the temptation. I just kind of, almost, rolled my eyes at the attempt of attaching an emotional core to the film, and knowing its dramatic moment at the end and then working backwards to contrive how it occurs. Daughter had to be responsible, had to feel dad blamed her, had to be moment of kids being trapped unable to escape without epic self sacrifice from dad to show his love. But what film doesn't do that. Why not throw a rock or make sure you carry something at all times to act as a distraction? Like fireworks, which they have.

still liked it, the cgi was surprisingly good, the bathtub scene was completely wasted and anticlimactic, there's more in it than It Comes At Night yet i was more engrossed by that. Maybe just the circumstances of how I watched it, on my own at 3am.

On 13/04/2018 at 02:40, kerraig UK said:

I just keep going back to Day of the Dead. An apocalyptic single location limited budget dystopian horror that has no single logical or philosophical flaws. I've watched it religiously and can't understand why movies with double the staff, double the time and double the resources can't even come close to creating such a bulletproof world.

Because, invariably, those types of film don't have the same sheer amount of effort and passion put into them. Because that's the fundamental, step one on the ladder requirement, when you have fuck all money and resources. It's the same with game development and pretty much anything creative.

Thought it was fantastic. A really tight, tense horror film. No matter how much you adapt to live in a world like this, it can never last forever as at some point complacency/mistakes will happen and the tension comes from waiting for that to happen. The young girl in this is brilliant. I thought the very ending was very satisfying. 

• Upvote 3

I think in terms of mistakes

Spoiler

The nail is a good example, didn't realise. Although it did grate she didn't care to warn her kids when she brought them down there later on. She had just fended off a monster and gave birth in a bath so had a lot on her mind, but then how easy would it be to forget slamming your barefoot on a big nail.

These one location low budget family/group dynamic mixed ages psychological/monster home invasion horrors are in at the moment, even if they all don't fit that description. It Comes At Night, 10 Cloverfield Lane, It Follows a little. A few to use sound too. Don't Breathe, Hush.

Don't know why this is being described as original. It's literally a combination of a few of those above recent films.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I think in terms of mistakes

Hide contents

The nail is a good example, didn't realise. Although it did grate she didn't care to warn her kids when she brought them down there later on. She had just fended off a monster and gave birth in a bath so had a lot on her mind, but then how easy would it be to forget slamming your barefoot on a big nail.

These one location low budget family/group dynamic mixed ages psychological/monster home invasion horrors are in at the moment, even if they all don't fit that description. It Comes At Night, 10 Cloverfield Lane, It Follows a little. A few to use sound too. Don't Breathe, Hush.

Don't know why this is being described as original. It's literally a combination of a few of those above recent films.

Re your spoiler, I was so ready to laugh if it happened again to her and again to the kid, I know it sounds like some kind of sicko but really it was only cos the film tales itself so unbearably seriously something needed to put a pin in it

Watching The Descent the other night, it is brutal and incredibly tense but he never forgets to release steam every 10 minutes or so, otherwise for me the experience just becomes distancing 

• Upvote 2
On 13/04/2018 at 02:40, kerraig UK said:

This is interesting. Care to elaborate? I don't disagree (or agree, I've never really thought about it), but I'd be keen to know why you think this. 

15 hours ago, Orko said:

This is interesting. Care to elaborate? I don't disagree (or agree, I've never really thought about it), but I'd be keen to know why you think this. 

Why I think what? That Day of the Dead is bulletproof? It's because the world and the characters are so consistent. And also original. There's still never been another zombie film like it. The bunker marriage of scientists and soldiers makes perfect sense. The corral and trapping of zombies is shown in great detail, the science is sound, the characters behave with traits that support their personalities (cowardice, jealousy, fear). I really think it's absolutely faultless.

Why aren't there more horror films as faultless? I think its a mixture of Romero being a genius and his total passion to creating credible worlds.

With A Quiet Place I thought it did a lot with a little, and it was nice and tense. But lets face it, having a kid in that world is irredeemably selfish and foolish. It undermines everything when you think about it for more than a second.

18 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Why aren't there more horror films as faultless? I think its a mixture of Romero being a genius and his total passion to creating credible worlds.

I think it's more Romero making the best out of having his budget slashed in half, then the numerous rewrites that managed to get it down to a sleek 88 pages. 

1 minute ago, John Edward Gammell said:

I think it's more Romero making the best out of having his budget slashed in half, then the numerous rewrites that managed to get it down to a sleek 88 pages. 

Thats hardly a unique scenario for a horror film

all fair though, i think. the /filmcast brought the following up, i wasn't going to but if they think it's fair then it must be

Spoiler

Like that John Krasinski, who plays the father is the director and Blunt's real life husband, and wanted his self sacrifice hero moment. I hated it because of the apparent certainty the kids would get away and how he's leaving them entirely with their mother and a new born baby. 

I think any moderately alright slightly tense thriller nowadays is hailed as an instant classic without good reason, probably because there's so much generic shite in horror and no new ideas. I've said that twice now haven't i

• Upvote 1

I put most of the logic problems on Krasinski. He completely butchered the original script. Used maybe 30% of it and restructured it entirely. For the record, I think he directed the fuck out of what he was left with. But agree with those who couldn't get past the crappy world building and stupidity of the characters.

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

This thread reminds me of when my mum didn't like The Matrix because "what do they eat?"

I do hear you on that. And it's fair. But going back to my absolute love for Day of the Dead. I've seen it over 100 times and beyond buying the central concept that "the dead walk", I don't have a single moment of disbelief. Not even a line of dialogue. I believe it to be cast iron and bulletproof with logic. 

A Quiet Place rips its first 10 mins directly from Day of the Dead. Right down to the newspaper stand. And it takes a lot more throughout it's run time. Mainly in detailing the minutiae of survival. I believe it to be the most directly comparable horror movie I can think of. 

In Day of the Dead, the headline that is blown up on the newspaper stand, by the wind is "The Dead Walk". Now THAT is a motherfucking headline. Worldwide news about this new reality we're living in. And a bold warning about what is to come. The newspaper is old and yellowing, letting us know that the town was either evacuated or attacked in a hurry. 

In A Quiet Place, the headline that blows up is "It's Sound!!!". Which does several things. It tells us that the monsters have been killing for some time. It tells us that scientists or similar have worked out what the tool these beasts use for hunting is (wow, fucking sound! just like every single creature on Earth then), but it also tells us that in the middle of this fight for survival, journalists and copywriters and printing press mechanics and lorry drivers and post boys all carried on going to work to deliver to a small town the daily news. 

These are minuscule pedantic niggles of course. But it's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, because it is three words on a bit of background art. It is an issue that is essentially of no material cost to fix. It just requires intelligence and passion. 

• Upvote 3