Goose

A Quiet Place

On 2/10/2018 at 20:41, Goose said:

An April release for A Quiet Place, starring Emily Blunt. The studio must be hopeful as they gave it a Super Bowl ad slot last weekend. It also stars John Krasinski, who serves as director.

The film takes place on an isolated farm where supernatural spirits are attracted to sound, forcing the family to converse with signals and sign language

This premiered at SXSW on Friday to some really good reviews. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Goose said:

5/5 for A Quiet Place from Den of Geek. They reckon it'll be one of the best reviewed films of the year.

Looks good, but I'm guessing there's more to it than in the trailer as there's the big question of why they're all living in silence as opposed to moving somewhere else. I guess the house price was pretty low.

• Upvote 2

On 3/19/2018 at 20:04, James Lyon said:

Looks good, but I'm guessing there's more to it than in the trailer as there's the big question of why they're all living in silence as opposed to moving somewhere else. I guess the house price was pretty low.

I don't like the look of it one bit. It has the super high concept that there are these monsters that hunt by... sound! You have to be quiet or they'll hear you. Amazing.

But not quite as amazing as the bit at 46 seconds into this trailer, where for some reason the kid has a toy that makes lots of buzzing and beeping noises.

Are we seriously at the stage where stuff like this is getting past the writer, the producer, the director, the distributor... Nobody at any point thought "yeah, the parents would have probably took the batteries out of that...".

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/a-quiet-place-trailer-1084084

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6
  • Empathy 1

The kid could have picked it up in town without them realising. Would provide less of an opportunity to have another whinge about the incompetence of the film industry, mind.

• Upvote 3

That second trailer gives it a bit more context, I see:

Spoiler

The monsters are all over the place.

Still not quite sure how much noise you need to make to get noticed as even some of the things they're doing to be quiet are going to make some noise. That's going to bother me a bit.

I don't reckon his parents knew he even had it, let alone that it made a noise. 

Also, while it is a bit of a cop out, we're also seeing a short snippet out of context. But I can't really see how you can exist without making some kind of noise. I assume the movie will explain above a certain decibel or something. 

From what I’ve read they (the humans) live underground or in an enclosure that you presume they’ve soundproofed and they walk the woods on sand-covered paths etc. They’re clearly meant to have been living with this threat for a while and have adapted as best they can. 

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I don't like the look of it one bit. It has the super high concept that there are these monsters that hunt by... sound! You have to be quiet or they'll hear you. Amazing.

But not quite as amazing as the bit at 46 seconds into this trailer, where for some reason the kid has a toy that makes lots of buzzing and beeping noises.

Are we seriously at the stage where stuff like this is getting past the writer, the producer, the director, the distributor... Nobody at any point thought "yeah, the parents would have probably took the batteries out of that...".

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/a-quiet-place-trailer-1084084

I'm unsure why you are prejudging a movie for having a 'high concept' as this looks novel and intriguing. Better than no concept... 

As for that toy I expect we will see that the kid picked it up, without his parents seeing, when they were foraging in the town rather than the film makers missing anything or being cheap for plot furtherance. .. 

I'll wait until I've seen it before dismissing it. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I really hope the kid finds the toy somewhere, but he's already learned sign language, he knows the rules. Its just SO dumb and lazy.

Well, as I said, prejudging and drawing conclusions before seeing the film seems a bit pointless especially when your extrapolations are so judgemental.

Anyway, if we are to speculate without context, then I'd assume the kid had no clue the toy made such a noise.  It was simply a cool spaceship he picked up because, you know, he is just a kid - regardless of knowing sign language and the rules. I'm not sure why this seems dumb and lazy to you but hey ho.

• Upvote 7

A Quiet Place continues to get some very strong reviews. Saw a few more this morning proclaiming it amongst the best they'd seen this year. 

I thought A Quiet Place wasn't opening until the end of the week but see that it is already out. Of course, I can't go until the end of the week anyway but, still.

Very much looking forward to this so it had better not be the dumb shit that kerraig says it is.

I saw it today. The rocket toy scenario is not as stupid as the trailer suggests. The film was very good and the trailer doesn’t do it justice. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Wiseguy said:

I saw it today. The rocket toy scenario is not as stupid as the trailer suggests. The film was very good and the trailer doesn’t do it justice. 

I took my 16 yr old daughter to watch it, her choice. The audience was very quiet. No packet of sweets being opened, it's as if they didn't want to be heard by the monsters either.

These aren't my usual type of film, but I quite liked it

On 4/2/2018 at 11:46, Mike S said:

Very much looking forward to this so it had better not be the dumb shit that kerraig says it is.

Kerraig based his wildly judgemental opinion on the trailer. Having seen the film myself, you can disregard everything he said about it. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Radish said:

Kerraig based his wildly judgemental opinion on the trailer. Having seen the film myself, you can disregard everything he said about it. 

I know, and I have.

I was just jesting.

9 hours ago, Radish said:

I just saw it. It's way above average. Good even. Not like Get Out good. Just a really solid watch. Very economical. It gets in late and comes out early, like a good horror film should. I really enjoyed it.

The spaceship is fucking stupid. Less stupid than the trailer for sure, but still lazy and stupid. Luckily the rest of the film was tight.

I witnessed another film stupid in one of the trailers. In the Avengers trailer they showed Peter Parker's Spidey sense tingling on a bus, then out the window he notices there's this giant fucking portal to another dimension in the sky. Thank christ Spidey has his 6th sense thing or noone would have noticed.

Fuck man movies are getting dumb.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

Coming out of A Quiet Place and thinking "fuck man movies are getting dumb" seems more than a little unfair to me.

What do you think was so stupid about the toy spaceship?

Spoiler

The only thing I thought was a bit off is that the boy was walking at the back of the line. He's obviously very young and liable to do something stupid, so surely you'd want to keep an eye eye on him. That said, they're human and people make mistakes. I don't think it's unreasonable for their focus to slip like that. The same can be said for the daughter - she cocked up but is also young, so that doesn't strike me as being unrealistic. 

• Upvote 1

I think that exclamation was more about the Spidey sense scene. Looking forward to catching A Quiet Place. Way behind on current horror; only just watched American Mary and Autopsy of Jane Doe recently. Both superb and very different takes on medical horror.

7 hours ago, GMass said:

You are getting a bit one note K. Not everything has to be high art or fit with your own concept of smart etc. I don't think dumb movies are a new thing. 

Oh I know I am. I'm becoming a right mardy bastard. 

A Quiet Place was pretty decent but I'm not sure quite why it has had glowing reviews. Which I feel like I have to say a lot these days.

When it actually becomes the creature feature/horror type thing it was billed as it's really effective if a little rote. Extremely well put together technically with great sound design - definitely one for the a sweet Dolby Atmos system. Even the editing is good, which sadly I have to point out because I have seen so many films that are badly edited in recent years. It's also nice and short and lean, the art of brevity is lost in a lot of films these days. 

But man, that first 30-40 minutes of somewhat lumpen and contrived 'family drama with terrible jump scares' is a little bit rubbish. And the guy playing the dad (Jim from the US version of The Office, who also directed it) has a really annoying face. 

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

A Quiet Place was pretty decent but I'm not sure quite why it has had glowing reviews. Which I feel like I have to say a lot these days.

When it actually becomes the creature feature/horror type thing it was billed as it's really effective if a little rote. Extremely well put together technically with great sound design - definitely one for the a sweet Dolby Atmos system. Even the editing is good, which sadly I have to point out because I have seen so many films that are badly edited in recent years. It's also nice and short and lean, the art of brevity is lost in a lot of films these days. 

But man, that first 30-40 minutes of somewhat lumpen and contrived 'family drama with terrible jump scares' is a little bit rubbish. And the guy playing the dad (Jim from the US version of The Office, who also directed it) has a really annoying face. 

Well that kind of reads like a glowing review apart from the fact you don't like the dad's face? 

Figured it would be worth splitting posts off for this, as it's the big release of the weekend. Reviews have been very strong, and currently sits with 97% approval - though not everyone was impressed.

• Upvote 1