Why not instead got the original versions of the consoles you want to play, some Everdrives and an OSSC?

...or instead spend £180 on another junk emulator / ROM dumped where you might as well just get a Raspberry Pi 3 and an 8bitdo controller. 

21 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Why not instead got the original versions of the consoles you want to play, some Everdrives and an OSSC?

...or instead spend £180 on another junk emulator / ROM dumped where you might as well just get a Raspberry Pi 3 and an 8bitdo controller. 

I want an all in one unit for testing, recording footage as well as playing. I also don't have the room for 12 consoles in the same spot plus it'd cost more than £180 for all the ones I want.  I had a Retron5 but the awful cart slots were more trouble than they were worth.

I also find the Rasp Pi 3 too slow to use, I have one but once you add several emulators and ROMs takes ages to boot up. Also having to keep exiting the console and using the keyboard to shut it down is a pain.  And you have to do it otherwise it can wipe SD cards, had it happen before.

8 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I want an all in one unit for testing, recording footage as well as playing. I also don't have the room for 12 consoles in the same spot plus it'd cost more than £180 for all the ones I want.  I had a Retron5 but the awful cart slots were more trouble than they were worth.

I also find the Rasp Pi 3 too slow to use, I have one but once you add several emulators and ROMs takes ages to boot up. Also having to keep exiting the console and using the keyboard to shut it down is a pain.  And you have to do it otherwise it can wipe SD cards, had it happen before.

But the Retro Freak is literally just an emulation device. It rips the games then plays them via an emulator. So you gain nothing over just having an emulator.

Adding more roms and emulators to RetroPie doesn't do anything to it's performance, unless you somehow completely fill the SD card. It's a little slower when you just add new ones (so it scans and adds them to the menu), but not after that. Mine takes maybe 15 seconds to start up.

You can shut it down from the GUI too. That's what I do - no need for a keyboard.

On 02/04/2018 at 20:36, deKay said:

But the Retro Freak is literally just an emulation device. It rips the games then plays them via an emulator. So you gain nothing over just having an emulator.

Adding more roms and emulators to RetroPie doesn't do anything to it's performance, unless you somehow completely fill the SD card. It's a little slower when you just add new ones (so it scans and adds them to the menu), but not after that. Mine takes maybe 15 seconds to start up.

You can shut it down from the GUI too. That's what I do - no need for a keyboard.

I use one of these for testing also, I'm of the opinion that it's very usefull as you can pop a cart in and dump the ROM, thus emaning that the cart can be fully read / works properly.

It's a nice bit of kit for that reason alone but also gets a bit of game time, it doesn't take master System games, even with the extra adaptor that's for Gamegear and other stuff, but you can either pop in a Master Gear to that adaptor or use an MD to SMS adaptor and it'll play them fine.

Pretty sure I got mine from the trading folder here tbh.

I keep thinking I'll get one of these but within weeks it will end up collecting dust, like my Raspberry Pi. The idea behind them is solid and a 10 year old me would have loved this, but really I look at the price of Megadrive and Snes games now and I just can't justify spending that type of money to have a collection that I'll just end up selling on (probably at a small loss) 18 months later.